Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Identifying my engine

Zdrift247lsv

5 hours ago, abattle10 said:

8.1 was available through 2010. Easiest way to identify the 8.1 is the vortec badging all over the engine cover (at least on my 2010).

My 2002 Monsoon 5.7 had Vortec stickers all over it....well, maybe three of them if I recall correctly.

Edited by RTS
ahopkins22LSV
On 10/16/2016 at 9:57 PM, TallRedRider said:

Malibu has never put the 350 in any of the 247.  They are smarter than Mastercraft that put a bunch of 5.7 in the X45.   So unless the motor was swapped to a smaller motor for some dumb reason, it is the 383 6.2L Hammerhead.  IIRC, if you ever need parts, it is the same engine that is in a 1999 (?) Camaro.  

I thought that they looked different, but was mistaken.  In doing a quick search of some for sale, the silver badge on top says '340 Monsoon' on some of them, but apparently not all.  

Ah I missed the part where he said he has a 247. My bad!

22 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Dumb question, but does the 383 look different because of the aluminum heads?  This is my 383 Hammerhead.  

20141115_110419_zpsu9kbhdcx.jpg

And here is a 5.7:  

heater.jpg

Clarification:  I think the iron ones were painted, but the aluminum ones were not.  Notice the big shiny tubes on either side of the Hammerhead?  Those are exhaust manifolds, right?  (I called them heads, I meant exhaust manifolds).  

Edited by TallRedRider
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:57 PM, TallRedRider said:

IIRC, if you ever need parts, it is the same engine that is in a 1999 (?) Camaro.   

Incorrect.  The '98-'02 4th Gen F-body V8 (Z28/SS in the Camaro; Formula and T/A in the Firebird) have the LS1.  The LS1 is a GEN-III SBC.  The Hammerhead is the old GEN-I SBC.  They don't share any parts (other than I think a couple bolts here in there by random chance). 

The last F-body that would share parts would be a 3rd Gen, last made in 1992.  93-96 V8 4th Gens received the LT1 (with a rare few in 1996 with the LT4).  A few more parts can be shared but not a lot as it is a GEN-II SBC.  The last revision of the GEN-I SBC in 1996 took a lot of design elements for the heads from the LT1.

On 10/17/2016 at 1:22 PM, oldjeep said:

You can't really see a head difference in a picture since they would be dimensionally the same and both painted, but if those are the same year then it looks like the exhaust manifolds are different as is the decoration on the intake plenum.

On 10/17/2016 at 1:22 PM, oldjeep said:

You can't really see a head difference in a picture since they would be dimensionally the same and both painted, but if those are the same year then it looks like the exhaust manifolds are different as is the decoration on the intake plenum.

So I guess this is a good question...does the hammerhead have the aluminum or maybe polished manifolds and a non stroked 5.7 has the black manifolds?  Also my plenum does not have the aluminum details either...when I looked at the catalog photo in the link above mine did look more like the 340 monsoon except for the top pulley is different and the manifolds on the 340 are going opposite of my engine...I really just need to find the time to call a dealer I guess...