Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dual Heater Install + Shower Questions

The Hulk

21 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

not sure if it has changed in 2017 but as far as i was told the new power helm seats do NOT currently have factory option for heat, only non power seats... again not sure if that has changed as or recently or not... seems like it would be easy enough but i dont know...

well since we are on the topic: why stop with seats, how about heated floor element built into the carpet, or under the faom seadeck stuff! and why stop there a heated platform would be nice as well!

keep on going and just install a winter full enclosed Bimini :whistle:... then the heat can't escape... and lol... there are very few boats down here with heaters.. I get laughed at for having one... it only gets used for ~2 months.. but sure love it in the so called winter time here

6 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

keep on going and just install a winter full enclosed Bimini :whistle:... then the heat can't escape... and lol... there are very few boats down here with heaters.. I get laughed at for having one... it only gets used for ~2 months.. but sure love it in the so called winter time here

2 months thats more than half our season up here! haha

53 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

well i dont think i need an Ice "Breaker" but an Ice MAKER on the other hand would be a better use in the other rear tub!!

Maybe I misunderstood.... you only have 1 month season... adding an Ice Breaker would allow you to extend your season because your boat will be able to be on a frozen lake :P

Ice maker would be nice down here along with ac... but the ac joke was not well accepted on another forum lol 

25 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Maybe I misunderstood.... you only have 1 month season... adding an Ice Breaker would allow you to extend your season because your boat will be able to be on a frozen lake :P

Ice maker would be nice down here along with ac... but the ac joke was not well accepted on another forum lol 

Texans...... 

ha I use to live in Edinburgh /McAllen wnt to UTPA...so I miss the warm year round weather.

Just now, The Hulk said:

Texans...... 

ha I use to live in Edinburgh /McAllen wnt to UTPA...so I miss the warm year round weather.

HAHA.. went to UTEP,,, :cheers:

1 minute ago, The Hulk said:

Ahh ..so u as well had many nights u cant  remember in Mexico ??

well... that was high school lol and part of UTEP.. once I hit 21 I was bored with Mexico and moved on to US bars LAMO

15 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I haven't seen anyone use a mixer like that is that a standard shower mixer?

What's the white round thing?

On my old boat I had the heater craft nozzle I'll stick to that for now. I remember that it's designed with very tiny holes perhaps what allows more presses build up? But I also had a pump

The white round thing is the top of the shower nozel, flush mounted. you just pull it out and then the hose retracts into the locker. Its the same shower head Mikeo quoted above. Not sure what the pump pressure is but its enough o get wet and warm up.

In the long run, heated seats is quite easy.  They are not rocket science...  An upholstery shop can help--in fact, many have done this on cars for years.   I have had them in drivers and observers spot.  You could add it elsewhere.  No winterizing, no leaks, no crushed tubes where people are stuffing their gear, etc.. Plus I like the heat much better. 

22 minutes ago, ejj said:

In the long run, heated seats is quite easy.  They are not rocket science...  An upholstery shop can help--in fact, many have done this on cars for years.   I have had them in drivers and observers spot.  You could add it elsewhere.  No winterizing, no leaks, no crushed tubes where people are stuffing their gear, etc.. Plus I like the heat much better. 

yes i found myself looking online for some heater pads that were "larger in size" but most seem pretty small for car-industry. let me know if there is something that is larger to cover a bigger area easier. doubt i'll go full into this project now but possibly in the future.. 

I've only retro heated the driver and observer spots. I think it would be A+++ if you could have zones with switches in the vicinity.   We used the car kits. We use the Obrien heated blanket for the front ($150). You could add a 12v outlet for the back/side lounge and do the same.  Not as awesome as heated seats though.   

I've not been very happy with the boat based heater installs.   Never again for me.  I like the car-based stuff because it is so reliable--probably because they have sold millions. 

I have used a Webasto forced air unit on a larger sailboat, but that was a complex and costly process. But it rocks!  

• 2 weeks later...

@The Hulk

Finally got a few pictures. Here is where the factory installed the 2nd heater.  3 outlet is under the driver helm.  This is a two outlet.   I am going to add a few feet of tube to get a little more length out of these.  I have found they can hold more tubing than comes stock.

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

@store934 thanks!

i looked through my boat and figured the 2nd heater would have to go where yours is, or (mount it on top) of the slightly raised part where the ballast hoses go into the hard tank. although i like it where you have it as i rarely open up (lift off) the non-hinged seat over the batteries so to me its kind of less accessible space : just deciding if i'd do a 2-port or 3-port. 

if i put where yours is i will check and see if i can have one outlet there and then put one further back, and run the tube up through the gunnel and then down "perhaps" right under the flip up seat hardware. 

how did they plump the circulation pump? did they come off the engine water line through ONE pump then split after the pump to both heaters? or is there one pump going to heater 1 and heater one outlet goes to heater 2 inlet (in series)?

On 10/2/2016 at 7:45 PM, The Hulk said:

Here is my shower install plans for winter let me know on ideas or feedback

Gas hinged support. Make a quick connect so u can take off easily for removing tub if needed..

rps20161002_222757.jpg

On 10/2/2016 at 7:47 PM, The Hulk said:

rps20161002_222928.jpg

I love my shower here, Going to install the hing like what you have in the other pic, IMG_6125%20-%20Copy_zps6zo4dwvm.jpgIMG_6119_zps41atpwpw.jpg

Does the hose bend or fit with enough room ? That's why I was questioning putting hose coming out the side part..was worried it would bend and start kinking..

Where did u get single mixe? Can't find them and heater craft said they discontinued the single mixer. 

Anyhow looks great

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

Have u thought about adding a drain hole and small hose to bilge area similar to the pizza tray? 

Ok so first Make sure you mount the main control closer to the back or about 3" down from where I have it mounted in this pic,  My dealer changed it because all the hoses were too bunched up under where  it is in this pic.  I dont have a currant picture of that but you will see what I mean when you go to install it, As far as the hose, it works perfect the way we have it, and yes I added a drain hole and hose that leads to the bilge, And my wife picked this up at Bakes Marine last year, They have a great online website, You should find the kit there! IMG_6125%20-%20Copy_zps6zo4dwvm.jpg

Edited by Wakesetter67

awesome: so did you have to buy a new tray to re-mount your control lower towards back of boat more?

what is the small round thing below the switch a fuse?

did you get that heatercraft single mixer new? i think bakes has the mixer + plug like you have but not the panel with switch included as well... but when i called they said no more single mixers? so not sure if yours is new?

2 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

this is the one i was saying shows as out of stock; http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=3660

this one shows in stock so i'd have to mount switch separate like yours  http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=3661

Ya my wife got it for my Bday, But it works great, Just make sure you plumb into the correct side of the block, At first attempt it would never really would get hot, So they choose a different location and it gets really hot now, Not sure without looking but I's sure you can find out from your dealer, 

Edited by Wakesetter67

they are showing the complete kit (which i need) as having the same style panel as yours so i'll call and confirm it..  i hated the old dual plastic knobs one...impossible with two knobs of adjustment IMO. 

so you have a circulation pump correct? i thougth i read somewhere that some of the newer engines being half-cooled systems heat much better even without one? which engine do you have and where are you connected to it?

2 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

they are showing the complete kit (which i need) as having the same style panel as yours so i'll call and confirm it..  i hated the old dual plastic knobs one...impossible with two knobs of adjustment IMO. 

so you have a circulation pump correct? i thougth i read somewhere that some of the newer engines being half-cooled systems heat much better even without one? which engine do you have and where are you connected to it?

I dont, I have the 350 Chev Block, (2015 )I have heard of people using one is that so you can run it with the engine off for a bit? I know they work great for the heater, I had my dealer install it and like I said before they hooked it up wrong the first time it barley got warm, So they looked where Malibu plumbed it and it was perfect! 

Edited by Wakesetter67