Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone else winding down?

Levi900RR

4 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

Had to make a hard decision today ... either watch the Lions or get out for what might be the last boating of the season.  No one was on the lake and half the lake was glass ... what a good time!

Your fun or a bunch of PED users , no brainer

• Like 1
On 10/7/2016 at 6:48 AM, Gavin17 said:

I can barely walk but it didn't stop me from getting out yesterday.  Granted, not my boat. 

20161006_181921_zpsfc9jas6e.jpg?w=480&h=

I feel your pain buddy. Had ACL surgery august 8th. Took the boat out 5 weeks later, brace and all. Couldn't do anything but pull my friends on the wake board but it was way better than being stuck in the bed like I had been for 4 weeks. I finally graduated to a smaller donjoy a22 brace 2 weeks ago but had a similar looking brace to the one you're in before that.

20 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

Had to make a hard decision today ... either watch the Lions or get out for what might be the last boating of the season.  No one was on the lake and half the lake was glass ... what a good time!

Whenever I have to choose between doing something or watching the lions, I always remind myself that they haven't won a playoff game in my lifetime.. It makes my decision very easy after that.

• Like 1

*sigh*  As some of you know, I am new to comp boats.  I have been an outboard guy.  I took my '98 in to have winterized, and the guy who seems to know his stuff, convinced me not to have the oil changed as he likes it fresh in the spring.  My oil had several hours left on it before it hit 50.  He used the procedure with antifreeze in the lines, and also did my heater and shower.  Now I am second guessing not having changed the oil.  To change it properly I will have to screw up the winterizing I would guess.  Hmm.  

Just now, sunvalleylaw said:

*sigh*  As some of you know, I am new to comp boats.  I have been an outboard guy.  I took my '98 in to have winterized, and the guy who seems to know his stuff, convinced me not to have the oil changed as he likes it fresh in the spring.  My oil had several hours left on it before it hit 50.  He used the procedure with antifreeze in the lines, and also did my heater and shower.  Now I am second guessing not having changed the oil.  To change it properly I will have to screw up the winterizing I would guess.  Hmm.  

Meh, just drain it, change the oil filter and put new oil in.  I don't run boats to change oil and never have.  It's really only a pain having cold oil if you are using a dipstick extractor rather than a pan drain hose.

• Like 2
Just now, oldjeep said:

Meh, just drain it, change the oil filter and put new oil in.  I don't run boats to change oil and never have.  It's really only a pain having cold oil if you are using a dipstick extractor rather than a pan drain hose.

Ok, thanks.  That won't be hard.  Not to be too far offtopic, but thinking I will use the Rotella as I saw on another oil thread as it seems the Pennzoil marine is hard to find at the moment.   Rotella worked well in my wife's old subaru XT.  

Just now, sunvalleylaw said:

Ok, thanks.  That won't be hard.  Not to be too far offtopic, but thinking I will use the Rotella as I saw on another oil thread as it seems the Pennzoil marine is hard to find at the moment.   Rotella worked well in my wife's old subaru XT.  

Rotella is what I've used in the 2 inboards that I've winterized this year and I've got some on the shelf for when it is time for mine.  Never had any luck getting ahold of more Pennzoil

• Like 1

This site is great!  I will stay on during the winter to talk snow skiing at least.  Sorry to be winding down the waterskiing, but such is living in the mountains of Idaho.  

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

That's your experience? I had just the opposite last year. I couldn't get hardly any oil out of the drain line in the fall when it was cold and I refuse to do the dipstick thing after hearing about extraction lines breaking off in the pan and dipstick tube. I wish I didn't have to get the motor up to temp to drain it but that seems to be the requirement here. Anyone else concur with me or am I doing something wrong here? I do release the oil cap so there isn't any suction.

4 minutes ago, jgates237 said:

That's your experience? I had just the opposite last year. I couldn't get hardly any oil out of the drain line in the fall when it was cold and I refuse to do the dipstick thing after hearing about extraction lines breaking off in the pan and dipstick tube. I wish I didn't have to get the motor up to temp to drain it but that seems to be the requirement here. Anyone else concur with me or am I doing something wrong here? I do release the oil cap so there isn't any suction.

When I gravity drain it I just let it sit over night over a bucket, it is empty in the morning.  Typically it is end of oct/early November and under 50 degrees in the garage.  Now I've got a cheap suction extractor with a fitting to attach to the drain line that makes short work of it regardless of the oil temp.  Done 2 of them in the last 2 weeks that way - cold.

Edit - what kind of oil are you using?  The recommended 15W40 or a straight weight oil?

Edited by oldjeep

Using Rotella 15W40. Only 25 hrs on it but I'm hearing its bad to let the used oil sit thru the winter. I normally change it in the fall.

A friend of mine changes his in the fall then changes the oil that's sat in the motor over the winter prior to the start of the next season as he says oil goes bad after sitting 3 months. I don't buy it.

Just now, jgates237 said:

Using Rotella 15W40. Only 25 hrs on it but I'm hearing its bad to let the used oil sit thru the winter. I normally change it in the fall.

A friend of mine changes his in the fall then changes the oil that's sat in the motor over the winter prior to the start of the next season as he says oil goes bad after sitting 3 months. I don't buy it.

He'd have a fit if he knew the oil in my 53 Ford project had been in there since I built the motor 7 years ago :)  (Has about an hour total runtime on it).  I can't imagine swapping out fresh oil because it sat for 6 months. 

Just now, oldjeep said:

He'd have a fit if he knew the oil in my 53 Ford project had been in there since I built the motor 7 years ago :)  (Has about an hour total runtime on it).  I can't imagine swapping out fresh oil because it sat for 6 months. 

I have a jeep that I drive about 800 miles a year during the summer months only. We drive it to the corner store to get gas for the boat, to our yacht club (mile from the house), and occasionally to get ice cream. I just changed the oil for the first time in 6 years. It's nice not having to do it annually but then again there is no easier vehicle to change oil on than a jeep. It's our version of a golf cart...

Jeep.jpg

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I try to change mine near the end of the season but do not make it a part of the Winterization process.  Too many other things to do and worry about at that time.

Rotella Diesel 15W-40

Just now, minnmarker said:

I try to change mine near the end of the season but do not make it a part of the Winterization process.  Too many other things to do and worry about at that time.

Rotella Diesel 15W-40

Do you have to warm the engine up to get it out?

1 minute ago, jgates237 said:

I have a jeep that I drive about 800 miles a year during the summer months only. We drive it to the corner store to get gas for the boat, to our yacht club (mile from the house), and occasionally to get ice cream. I just changed the oil for the first time in 6 years. It's nice not having to do it annually but then again there is no easier vehicle to change oil on than a jeep. It's our version of a golf cart...

I've got a 1938 Fire Truck that gets driven maybe 50 miles per year.  Straight 30 weight non-detergent oil gets changed about every 10 years.  I think I changed the diff and tranny oil once upon a time.

Fire Truck.r.jpg

• Like 3
1 minute ago, jgates237 said:

Do you have to warm the engine up to get it out?

No, but I do and it goes a LOT faster.  Usually do it right after putting the boat on the lift.  Attach a sucker can to the oil pan hose and 2 minutes later its making that straw sucking sound.  If I'm not changing the filter it's a 10 or 15 minute process.  Add 5 for the filter unless I spill oil :Frustrated:

47 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Now I've got a cheap suction extractor with a fitting to attach to the drain line that makes short work of it regardless of the oil temp. 

15 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Attach a sucker can to the oil pan hose and 2 minutes later its making that straw sucking sound.

Please forgive my laziness, I know there are a zillion threads to search on this topic.  What extractor do you use?  I gravity drain mine overnight, getting tired of that long boring process - would like to do it and be done, and put the fresh oil in right away and pack it up.

7 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Please forgive my laziness, I know there are a zillion threads to search on this topic.  What extractor do you use?  I gravity drain mine overnight, getting tired of that long boring process - would like to do it and be done, and put the fresh oil in right away and pack it up.

I've got one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oil-Extractor-6-Liter-OIL01/dp/B000GU0MMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476216754&sr=8-1&keywords=oil+extractor

And then I cut off the rubber tube about 1" up from the dipstick extractor piece and inserted a brass barb to female pipe thread fitting that fits the male drain line thread on the boat - fitting came from home depot plumbing section.

Pretty sure this is the fitting

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chief-1-4-in-x-1-4-in-Lead-Free-Brass-Barb-x-FIP-Adapter-903-691001/202254867

Edited by oldjeep
Just now, Michigan boarder said:

This one - but there are others just as good.  Only issue I have with it is that it does not allow you to see exactly how much you got out - which might be handy in the case of a transmission.

https://www.amazon.com/America-5060-Topsider-Multi-Purpose-Removing/dp/B001445IZ8

I pulled everything (gear, ballast, etc...) out of the boat last weekend to prepare it for 6 months of hibernation...then today it's 66* and not a cloud in the sky. I'm trying to get my family out for just a dinner cruise on the river but they're not all that interested. I need to just give up and winterize it.