Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone else winding down?

Levi900RR

Thanks for the additional info guys.  I figure I will pull it out into the sun next weekend, as it makes a big difference, and then let it drain overnight as @oldjeep suggests.  Glad to know others have used the Rotella.  I like that stuff, and it is easy to get.  Now I just have to find the right filter, which I am sure I can get from Bakes.  Will look at using one of those extractors too.  Does using an extractor suck more gunk out of the pan if there is any?  

One down-side to using an extractor is, if the oil drain hose is attached to the pan on the side, at the bottom, it will stop draining oil and start sucking air when the top of the drain hole is exposed, leaving maybe ~1/2 quart of oil in the pan.  Gravity drain will drain to the bottom of the hole.  On my current pan, it is attached to the bottom so it would not be an issue, but I've had boats in the past where it is on the side.  This problem can be minimized by tilting the boat, which is really easy to do if it is in the water.

I almost always gravity drain.

Edited by MadMan
17 hours ago, oldjeep said:

you can get the right oil filter at any auto parts store. No reason to order one online and pay shipping. That being said I got mine from Amazon with a bunch of other stuff and free prime shipping.

So this, right?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YUF1FC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and I can get a gallon of the Rotella T CJ-4 15W-40 at the same time for $16.98, and free shipping, no tax.  I could go cross town to O'Reilly's, but this is pretty dang convenient.  

3 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

So this, right?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YUF1FC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and I can get a gallon of the Rotella T CJ-4 15W-40 at the same time for $16.98, and free shipping, no tax.  I could go cross town to O'Reilly's, but this is pretty dang convenient.  

Yes, or any of the equivalent oil filters like this WIX

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-57099-Spin--Filter/dp/B000C9TCZS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1476288568&sr=1-1&keywords=Wix+57099

You should need more than a gallon, should be 5.5 quarts.  I wound up buying my gallon of rotella on Amazon and then some quarts at O'Reilly's because they didn't have any quarts on prime and I'm lazy and don't like trying to dump a quart and a half out of a gallon bottle standing over the boat.  Although when we did my buddies boat Sunday he had 2 gallon containers so I just poured into the empty bottle to get the right amount.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yes, or any of the equivalent oil filters like this WIX

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-57099-Spin--Filter/dp/B000C9TCZS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1476288568&sr=1-1&keywords=Wix+57099

You should need more than a gallon, should be 5.5 quarts.  I wound up buying my gallon of rotella on Amazon and then some quarts at O'Reilly's because I'm lazy and don't like trying to dump a quart and a half out of a gallon bottle standing over the boat.  Although when we did my buddies boat Sunday he had 2 gallon containers so I just poured into the empty bottle to get the right amount.

Cool.  I will take the opportunity to check over the winterization procedure that was done too, as well as add some dampit type things, dryer sheets, remove the seat cushions, etc.  It is very dry here, but might as well protect for any moisture that might creep in anyways.  As I said before somewhere, the boat will live under a ventilated cover, under a shed roofed carport off the side of my garage this year.  Will likely hang some tarps on the side of the carport to screen from any stray snow, and an filtered sun (trees on that side anyway) Thinking I will block open the engine cover a couple inches, and leave the storage behind the front seat propped open too.  Just for air flow.  My tank is topped off, and my winterization/boat guy used Klotz, as he likes that better than Stabil.  He also used antifreeze.  So I guess everything is hooked back up in terms of lines since there is antifreeze in?  Battery is disconnected, but thinking I will pull it out and bring it inside the garage so it less cold over winter.  Should be good to go!  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
20 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Thanks for the additional info guys.  I figure I will pull it out into the sun next weekend, as it makes a big difference, and then let it drain overnight as @oldjeep suggests.  Glad to know others have used the Rotella.  I like that stuff, and it is easy to get.  Now I just have to find the right filter, which I am sure I can get from Bakes.  Will look at using one of those extractors too.  Does using an extractor suck more gunk out of the pan if there is any?  

Throw a trouble light against the oil pan for an hour and it should warm things up nicely.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I've got one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oil-Extractor-6-Liter-OIL01/dp/B000GU0MMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476216754&sr=8-1&keywords=oil+extractor

And then I cut off the rubber tube about 1" up from the dipstick extractor piece and inserted a brass barb to female pipe thread fitting that fits the male drain line thread on the boat - fitting came from home depot plumbing section.

Pretty sure this is the fitting

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chief-1-4-in-x-1-4-in-Lead-Free-Brass-Barb-x-FIP-Adapter-903-691001/202254867

I've been using this with really good results so far.

71G1tbJTeVL._SL1333_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Lanchez-225GPH-Electric-Suction-Discharge/dp/B00ZTRKNT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476297739&sr=8-1&keywords=drill+siphon

Edited by footndale

Checked the weather the night before, said 58 and cloudy. Woke up, got the trailer and had someone meet me at the marina- cold. 3 hours later, 72 and sunny. Touched 39 last night though, so it was probably better. 6 months of northern IL hibernation.

cleanedup.jpg

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, PurpleHaze said:

Checked the weather the night before, said 58 and cloudy. Woke up, got the trailer and had someone meet me at the marina- cold. 3 hours later, 72 and sunny. Touched 39 last night though, so it was probably better. 6 months of northern IL hibernation.

cleanedup.jpg

Is that cordless buffer/polisher? If so, who makes it and how well does it do?

On 10/11/2016 at 5:44 PM, sunvalleylaw said:

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/jabsco-17800-2000-porta-quick-oil-changer/pja1425-25.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4fy_BRCX7b6rq_WZgI0BEiQAl78nd7mbib_mSs3HIvM0FjGuwxBHzKD52ZpSgH9NHv9YBlwaAsBc8P8HAQ

That device is one of the best things I have ever bought.  You get a fitting that matches up with your oil drain hose, connect to the boat battery and your engine is bone dry in 2 minutes.  No need to even start the boat and warm it up.  I have used it on jet skis, my pontoon, transfer cases, front and rear diffs.  The thing is just awesome.  

• Like 1

Cold today.  High of 52 only.  But, going for a set after lunch.  Camaro wetsuit works wonders.

Not too many of these left though.  Maybe 2-3 more ski rides this season up here in WI.

• Like 1

29th consecutive Wednesday in the books! It's getting cold up here boys, had to resort to my neoprene hood to avoid those wonderful ice-scream head aches! Our pipe dream goal was 30 this year. Weather forecast as of today makes it a real possibility! Ski you next week!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kmfish87 said:

Is that cordless buffer/polisher? If so, who makes it and how well does it do?

Yes it is cordless, Ryobi makes it. As long as you have the 18V Plus battery, you wouldn't know the difference between it and a corded midlevel buffer. $39 @ Home Depot; battery was BOGO $100. Only downfall is the lack of variable speed. I normally keep my Bu on a lift, so cordless was a must have for me. Don't think dropping a live extension cord in the lake is advisable.

upper 80's this weekend. probably windsurf Saturday and wakeboard Sunday. We usually ride well into November but Shoulder surgery on the 27th will end my season.

Usually take the bu' out mid to late October. Have had the boat in very little this year so I might consider going into November depending on the weather. Hard in Michigan to determine what the weather will do.  Have a little Boston Whaler that I left in until December 30th last year. The lake froze 3 days later!! Want to go for January 1 this year!! Not bad for being in Michigan. 

13 minutes ago, blytle473 said:

Usually take the bu' out mid to late October. Have had the boat in very little this year so I might consider going into November depending on the weather. Hard in Michigan to determine what the weather will do.  Have a little Boston Whaler that I left in until December 30th last year. The lake froze 3 days later!! Want to go for January 1 this year!! Not bad for being in Michigan. 

I need to pull before I go hunting. I just don't see my wife pulling it if the weather was to take a swing for the worst. The thing I dislike about November skiing is the cold wet face!  I just looked at the weekend weather and temps look good but showing eight mile an hour winds and more even before the sun comes up.  Maybe with no other boats we can find some calm water. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sixball said:

I need to pull before I go hunting. I just don't see my wife pulling it if the weather was to take a swing for the worst. The thing I dislike about November skiing is the cold wet face!  I just looked at the weekend weather and temps look good but showing eight mile an hour winds and more even before the sun comes up.  Maybe with no other boats we can find some calm water. 

I need to get up there and ski with you one of these days.....

59 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I need to get up there and ski with you one of these days.....

Give me a call.  Do you have cold water gear?  Water will be in the 50's now.