Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

Just now, Fman said:

Good point, can't remember the last time I have seen a pure slalom boat on the water, would be near impossible in our area to find good enough water to do it these days.  Most of those slalom die hard guys are probably on the water at 6:30am and gone early, plus how long can you really slalom ski for? 10-15 cuts?  I have never towed anyone who could go longer than that without being totally whipped.

Most skiers in "ski shape" will have 6-8 pass "sets".  So, 36-48 turns.  Then rotate.  Those not in a course will ski longer.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, 85 Barefoot said:

jeep, do you seriously watch the oil and temp as much as it appears you say you do?  

I look at them while the boat is warming up and if I get an alarm it is what I want to see immediately

For hand throttle applications (blasphemy, but that's how we do it on the 'bu), I like the gauges right where they are in the '01-04 era dash.  Malibu's best-looking dash setup IMO with the three large Kysor gauges.  For ZO, I don't care about RPM or speed so much as I do monitor lake depth with the depth gauge front and center.  On @braindamage's lake, we have "no drop" zones where it's too shallow to holeshot.  I want that info handy at quick glance, which I don't think these new offset weird slalom boat dashes allow very easily.

25 minutes ago, Fman said:

Good point, can't remember the last time I have seen a pure slalom boat on the water, would be near impossible in our area to find good enough water to do it these days.  Most of those slalom die hard guys are probably on the water at 6:30am and gone early, plus how long can you really slalom ski for? 10-15 cuts?  I have never towed anyone who could go longer than that without being totally whipped.

They're everywhere around here.  Direct drives outnumber V drives on most lakes I frequent at least 1.5:1.

3 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

For hand throttle applications (blasphemy, but that's how we do it on the 'bu), I like the gauges right where they are in the '01-04 era dash.  Malibu's best-looking dash setup IMO with the three large Kysor gauges.  For ZO, I don't care about RPM or speed so much as I do monitor lake depth with the depth gauge front and center.  On @braindamage's lake, we have "no drop" zones where it's too shallow to holeshot.  I want that info handy at quick glance, which I don't think these new offset weird slalom boat dashes allow very easily.

Be curious to see the other dash - the one that someone said had gauges.

Just now, UWSkier said:

They're everywhere around here.  Direct drives outnumber V drives on most lakes I frequent at least 1.5:1.

Varies by lake here.  My inlaws lake is almost entirely ski boats, but since it is a small lake with a course on it that is not surprising.  You do see a ton of DD's on Minnetonka too, but typically older stuff - rarely anything made in the last 10 years.

At this point I have to say.....Hummmmm, Be intrested in seeing the other dash layout, But it may just take a bit of time to get use to being a new model and all.

77tfjbpstgj8_20161024_074348.jpg

20141116_133405_resized-1.jpg

Edited by Dare2goBare

I would much prefer an analog version. Just about everyone I know with a touchscreen controlled boat has had some version of software issue or screen issue or wierd glitch at some point.  Most just take a cycling of power to fix, but all our older analog boats have been basically bulletproof, turn the key and go. Personally have zero interest in screens other than the zero off in a slalom boat.

I do like the phone holder on the right, aso that is where I would want my phone, IF I looked at while slalom skiing.

Just now, asnowman said:

I would much prefer an analog version. Just about everyone I know with a touchscreen controlled boat has had some version of software issue or screen issue or wierd glitch at some point.  Most just take a cycling of power to fix, but all our older analog boats have been basically bulletproof, turn the key and go. Personally have zero interest in screens other than the zero off in a slalom boat.

I do like the phone holder on the right, aso that is where I would want my phone, IF I looked at while slalom skiing.

My phone sits in my ski-doc Orbit when I'm skiing.  :)

Nice to see some pix showing up.  Looks like a common trend for all 3 event boats is to go to a low flat dash (@old jeep: which is actually nice for visibility -mainly running buoys- even when you think the current dash is fine as I jump between both dash styles) with integrated electronic displays, less upholstery on the side, long gunnel step pads and sea deck floors, no wet carpet worries.  The engine box appears shorter than previous, leaving more floor space behind which is great and the glove box area layout looks improved and now more useful.  To @oldjeep's point, the new multipurpose dash displays are not ideal for observing water temp and oil pressure on the fly.  On non-Bu applications, the numbers are either small or not displayed at all depending on what screen is up which I personally am not fond of.

Looking forward to more wake comments, initial BOS postings make it sound like excellent wakes.

2 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

.....and as a former axis owner, the sides provide little to no benefit from a true "windshield" function.  at slalom speeds...no spray issues.  I like.

I agree on that aspect.  Was trying to say the wrap around is merely aesthetics.  I didn't like it on my Axis, though, because with the tower right there, I was always afraid I'd get my arm stuck (potential for injury) if I were grabbing a dock or boat or something through that opening, and there was a sudden movement.  But on this, not a problem.

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

Nice to see some pix showing up.  Looks like a common trend for all 3 event boats is to go to a low flat dash (@old jeep: which is actually nice for visibility -mainly running buoys- even when you think the current dash is fine as I jump between both dash styles) with integrated electronic displays, less upholstery on the side, long gunnel step pads and sea deck floors, no wet carpet worries.  The engine box appears shorter than previous, leaving more floor space behind which is great and the glove box area layout looks improved and now more useful.  To @oldjeep's point, the new multipurpose dash displays are not ideal for observing water temp and oil pressure on the fly.  On non-Bu applications, the numbers are either small or not displayed at all depending on what screen is up which I personally am not fond of.

Looking forward to more wake comments, initial BOS postings make it sound like excellent wakes.

I'm 6ft tall and sit up so far above the dash of any boat I've been in that the low flat dash makes no difference at all in the course.  I get more obstruction from windshield frames, pretty sure they build tow boats for people my wifes height.

42 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'm 6ft tall and sit up so far above the dash of any boat I've been in that the low flat dash makes no difference at all in the course.  I get more obstruction from windshield frames, pretty sure they build tow boats for people my wifes height.

Look at the top of Chad Scott's head when he is driving.  They have clearly moved the seat down to get below windshield frame.  Hence why a lower dash I would suspect.

2 hours ago, 67King said:

I agree on that aspect.  Was trying to say the wrap around is merely aesthetics.  I didn't like it on my Axis, though, because with the tower right there, I was always afraid I'd get my arm stuck (potential for injury) if I were grabbing a dock or boat or something through that opening, and there was a sudden movement.  But on this, not a problem.

My wife broke her wrist that way!

I am with 67King the front is ugly!  May be it will look better in person. But then I hate all the pickle fork boats. I will also say I get splash on the side windows of my 07, not skiing but more often putting. We do have some narrow hi bank areas that will be calm water and a good breezy the wind just does not get down to the water.  I would not like a boat without a trunk we more often then not have three to four skiers that's a lot of crap on the floor skies, vests, suits. The one thing I dislike about the CC 196 we ski a ton, is the ski locker under the observers seat. What a hassle moving people around to get a ski in and out. One of the things I hated on my old V drive.  And for Fman we ski two and a half miles open water but 36mph at 35 off and not just ridding. I can ski the full distance after the first two weeks or so. But then I work out in the off season. I also ski wide enough to make the buoys. I am not going to tell you I can ski the course at 36- 35 off!!!!!!!!!!   If you are not skiing a course often it will humble the best open water skier! Timing is another subject! I can make the cuts to get six buoys but timing is everything in Solomon! Going to need to see one! oh ya might be good to ski it!

So one thing I would like to see is prop rotation opposite of our current Rlxi's . And if not a boat that is not as weight sensitive. The SS lxi and the cc 196 we ski are for the most part not weight sensitive at all! The 07 Rlxi is very much weight sensitive.  

18 minutes ago, Sixball said:

So one thing I would like to see is prop rotation opposite of our current Rlxi's . And if not a boat that is not as weight sensitive. The SS lxi and the cc 196 we ski are for the most part not weight sensitive at all! The 07 Rlxi is very much weight sensitive.  

WHY?!!  

Weight sensitive as in left and right?  Issue being what, wakes?

6 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

WHY?!!  

Weight sensitive as in left and right?  Issue being what, wakes?

If you run with a just a driver the wake is bad. the driver side is always pushing down on our bu's  Maybe its more in the hull but the 196 is not affected at all ! If you are looking at hard core skiers well skiing without a spotter is more then common. 

1 hour ago, Sixball said:

If you run with a just a driver the wake is bad. the driver side is always pushing down on our bu's  Maybe its more in the hull but the 196 is not affected at all ! If you are looking at hard core skiers well skiing without a spotter is more then common. 

Sixball. 

Interesting point I've never given any thought to. Left hand rotation in foward motion creating downward torque on the Starboard side

of the hull. When I cruze on my own at speeds of 23 mph there is a definate list Starboard, though I'm a heavy guy, getting up to 30 and

above she seems to level right out.

I wounder just how much influence this truly has at skiing speeds though. May be the reason Nautique whent with right hand rotation. 

Edited by Dare2goBare
4 minutes ago, Dare2goBare said:

Sixball. 

Interesting point I've never given any thought to. Left hand rotation in foward motion creating downward torque on the Starboard side

of the hull. When I cruze on my own at speeds of 23 mph there is a definate list Starboard, though I'm a heavy guy, getting up to 30 and

above she seems to level right out.

I wounder just how much influence this truly has at skiing speeds though. May be the reason Nautique whent with right hand rotation. 

So I think the rotation on Nautique is now the same as ours but they did stay with a transmission that makes it right hand rotation.  I think smart! 

1 hour ago, Sixball said:

So I think the rotation on Nautique is now the same as ours but they did stay with a transmission that makes it right hand rotation.  I think smart! 

Actually a friend of mine has a 2014  Ski Nautique 200, has right hand rotation. May be they have changed up since.

I have never had the opportunity to ski the 200 Nautique. A lot of good talk about them.  They do have A significant wider beam if I remember. I think the left hand rotation went away with the Ford power. The 196 kept the left hand rotation with the transmission.  I may be wrong but I do know the old 196 has a excellent  wake.  I love our bu's wake but they do take a tad more work to make the same rating IMHO. 

The SN 200 makes a nice wake from what I've heard, but it's a very wet hull.  It's not efficient and requires a lot of power to hit 36 MPH on some of the shorter lakes.  It's also a terrible barefooter.  Reports on the new TXi is it drives and handles more like the SN 200 than previous TXis, which were already wetter and less efficient than the old SV23 Diamonds of the mid '00s.  The only engine option is the 6L.  No 5.3L or 5.7L.  Leads me to believe this is going to be another really wet hull that leaves a great wake but moves a lot of water to do so.