Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

Just now, jk13 said:

Well said!

BTW I really like the new Bu. I also really like the new Prostar. I agree that the perfect family ski boats are probably the 07-up RLXi/TXi (which I also like a lot), but coming from my 94 ELX and it's copious storage (*sarcasm) I'm sure we'd be just as comfortable in the new ones. And we haven't been uncomfortable in ours, space-wise, ever. 

Curious, why 07 and up RLXI?  I though most folks prefered the wake of the 1st gen LXI over the 2nd gen

I will say time does change things but I have disliked every Pickle Fork boat out not just Bu's . For me I don't see me ever putting one on my lift. Out of all of them the MC ski tug is the best looking of all. From the side or back some of them look very nice but get in front and I am going to get sick. But that is me. 

• Like 2
Just now, oldjeep said:

Curious, why 07 and up RLXI?  I though most folks prefered the wake of the 1st gen LXI over the 2nd gen

"Family boat".

Pre-07 has the low, low bow and is easier to chili dip. As much as I like the sleek look (and would own one) the '07 has a little more freeboard for a drier and possibly safer ride.

Just now, jk13 said:

"Family boat".

Pre-07 has the low, low bow and is easier to chili dip. As much as I like the sleek look (and would own one) the '07 has a little more freeboard for a drier and possibly safer ride.

I've dipped my inlaws 04 response a couple times, never realized that the 07 were that much higher.

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The 07 had a better short line wake other then that and even that I love skiing all the Rlxi's. Even the lower bow would not bother me as my ski tug is just that for skiing. So if the water is rough at all I am not on it with my ski tug. I am one of the lucky people who does not need to be on my lake with my tug if not skiing. I would not turn down a ride behind any of the big ski tugs from say 99 and up they are all very good some just a little better.

11 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I've dipped my inlaws 04 response a couple times, never realized that the 07 were that much higher.

Maybe more to the point the front of the V hull is deeper further forward on the 07, so when you come off plane there is more buoyancy up front to keep the bow up.

Again, I'd own either but I don't have the luxury of owning multiple boats nor living on a lake to take mediocre weather days off, so for my family I'd choose the the newer for the ride. Even if there is a slight difference in wakes, which I'm not entirely convinced there is having never skied both back to back. Have you? Quite honestly I love the wakes on my ELX and see no real reason to upgrade to a different hull at all. None of which is even relevant to topic. 

Just now, jk13 said:

Maybe more to the point the front of the V hull is deeper further forward on the 07, so when you come off plane there is more buoyancy up front to keep the bow up.

Again, I'd own either but I don't have the luxury of owning multiple boats nor living on a lake to take mediocre weather days off, so for my family I'd choose the the newer for the ride. Even if there is a slight difference in wakes, which I'm not entirely convinced there is having never skied both back to back. Have you? Quite honestly I love the wakes on my ELX and see no real reason to upgrade to a different hull at all. None of which is even relevant to topic. 

No, I seem to remember the wake pref was from barefooters.  I ski behind a VTX mainly, so clearly I'm not a wake snob ;)

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

No, I seem to remember the wake pref was from barefooters.  I ski behind a VTX mainly, so clearly I'm not a wake snob ;)

Correct, wake sucked for footers. Then again if you are worried about a barefoot wake you don't buy new Malibus anyways. :)

https://instagram.com/p/BMZLuizj3Vq/

Long line wakes look similar to my recently sold '13 TXi and not much different than my current '01 Response. Ski gets about the  same amount of kick and air at this line length. Not bad mind you just not really different or better. 

Edited by Dacon62
3 hours ago, Dacon62 said:

https://instagram.com/p/BMZLuizj3Vq/

long line wakes look similar to my '13 TXi. 

Wake doesn't really look any flatter than an '06 TXi either, at least to my untrained eye.  I'd post a photo, but PBucket is down :whistle:.  I am having wake envy with my '95 though.

Edited by powbmps

That boat has a step down section for the walk through.

I think the boat looks quite sexy, but the lack of "family/public lake" features would be a deal breaker if I was going to spend 70k on a water ski specific boat. :Tease3:.

What is the rationale for that bow shape on a closed bow ski boat?  I get it on an open bow boat - I have a pickle fork bow boat despite previously thinking I would never own one - but on something where there is no bow seating advantage I just don't get it.

1 hour ago, SoulSurfer said:

What is the rationale for that bow shape on a closed bow ski boat?  I get it on an open bow boat - I have a pickle fork bow boat despite previously thinking I would never own one - but on something where there is no bow seating advantage I just don't get it.

I get what you are saying but my guess is it is too expensive to build a narrower bottom mold just for the closed bow. Not only that but it makes for 2 different "looks" for the same model.

17 hours ago, powbmps said:

Wake doesn't really look any flatter than an '06 TXi either, at least to my untrained eye.  I'd post a photo, but PBucket is down :whistle:.  I am having wake envy with my '95 though.

Looks can be so deceiving. Its how a ski cuts through. And that can change so much with the amount of attack from a skier. But as I said at this level none are bad just some better then the other.