Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

7 hours ago, bamabonners said:

that cheaper version looks just that - cheap.  Seriously, really cheap looking.

You've never been in a carbon pro have you?  Clearly that's where they were aiming that one.  

On 11/4/2016 at 1:41 AM, Punyelroo said:

Me thinks I'll be sticking to the 2012 TXi for a few years yet... Does absolutely nothing for me on any level. :(

Looks more like a Mastercraft than a Malibu... need to see one in the flesh though....

I agree.  Looks like a MC.  I currently have a 1997 Prostar 205.  I am a big fan of all 3:   Malibu, MC, and Nautique.  But am looking to upgrade and was very curious about the new Malibu TXI.   I agree with the other folks, i don't care for this new TXI, as well as I am not a fan of the pickle fork Mastercraft prostar.   I guess i will either upgrade to a Malibu TXI 2012ish - 2016 or i will upgrade to Nautique 200 OB.   Ive seen the MC Prostar in the flesh and skied behind it (skis good but im not a fan of the look of the boat).    Damn im a little upset w/ Malibu on this one.  Oh well.

Im looking for a good ski boat, good ski wake at longer line lengths (im currently at 22 off at 30mph), and good family boat w/ storage.  I will be staying w/  a direct drive, no Vdrive.  i need to ski behind the Nautique 200 OB and Malibu TXI 2012ish - 2016 to see which one i like.   Family boat for skiing, sometimes thru the course, barefooting (im not footin behind the boat YET).  A friend of mine is a BIG Malibu fan.  he has Malibu wakeboard boat and Malibu LXI for footin.   He said Malibu TXI is okay for sking (not crazy about long ling footin).  He also said that Nautique 200 OB is the best slalom wake, but barefootin long line SUCKS.  I know everybody is different.

Any other thoughts/opinions?

Thanks for future advice.

@moski:  If barefooting is a priority you have significantly limited your 'good footing wake' options.  Hard to get a great footing/slalom combo hull, the SV23 hull particularly Echelon / Response / Gen 1 RLXI grouping of vessels is pretty much the best of the various options for footing/slalom wakes, hence your friends comment.  The newer slate of excellent slalom wake boats (TXI, Prostar, CC200) tend not to make very good barefoot options, the new TXI probably has not been tried or commented on relative to footing performance.

Just a quick comparison:

2016 LXR:  19'-10" long, 90" wide, 22" draft, 8 person, 2,500 lbs., 350-450 ft. lbs.

2016 TXi:  20'-6" long, 93.5" wide, 22" draft, 9 person, 2,900 lbs., 350-450 ft. lbs.

2017 TXi:  20'-6" long, 95" wide, 22" draft, 7 person, 3,100 lbs., 409-450 ft. lbs.

What's with the extra weight, and reduced capacity?

Couple of leftover 2015 LXR's on Only Inboards marked down into the 40's.  Do my kids really need to go to college?

Edited by powbmps
  • Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

The LXr hasn't received the best reviews for how it skis or drives. I would for sure demo one before buying one. 

As far as the reduced capacity of the new TXi, I would think it's because the rear seat is no longer the entire width of the boat. I'm not sure if they think four people can sit across that or not but that's the only thing I can think of...

Extra weight is probably from the wider beam. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The LXr hasn't received the best reviews for how it skis or drives. I would for sure demo one before buying one. 

As far as the reduced capacity of the new TXi, I would think it's because the rear seat is no longer the entire width of the boat. I'm not sure if they think four people can sit across that or not but that's the only thing I can think of...

Extra weight is probably from the wider beam. 

Would agree,

Also a bit of extra glass for the bow "cheeks" and extra glass around the rear seating/step over area which used to be upholstery and plastic. 

From the few shots I've seen of the new boat on a trailer it sits above the tire fenders. The old TXi nestled between the fenders. So...the beam is 1.5" wider on the new boat but the part of the hull that contacts the water looks to be have gained more than 3/4" per side also adding weight. 

Edited by Dacon62
On Saturday, November 05, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Malibu Mike D1 said:

YOU ASKED FOR PICTURES>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here you go boys...   Put together quickly so quality of pictures and video not so good. Drove it, skied it and the boat is rock solid awesome. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/oXv9pDMQkgY

In watching this video numerous times,  and not taking into account the skiability / barefooting off a boom or short lining, and I think from other pics we've seen, booming may be an issue due to the side spray. But just on appearance, exterior / interior especially, there's nothing in the looks of both models that in my mind says " Wow this thing Pops " considering the $$$ one is going to shell out! And the tower? I guess one needs to keep one thing in mind the wake! I like the look of luxury and bling at these costs!   Sorry  Malibu, I love my Pearl! 

Now again saying all this, I need to truly see them up front as I'm being  subjective on this video as to their apperance.

18 hours ago, powbmps said:

Just a quick comparison:

2016 LXR:  19'-10" long, 90" wide, 22" draft, 8 person, 2,500 lbs., 350-450 ft. lbs.

2016 TXi:  20'-6" long, 93.5" wide, 22" draft, 9 person, 2,900 lbs., 350-450 ft. lbs.

2017 TXi:  20'-6" long, 95" wide, 22" draft, 7 person, 3,100 lbs., 409-450 ft. lbs.

What's with the extra weight, and reduced capacity?

Couple of leftover 2015 LXR's on Only Inboards marked down into the 40's.  Do my kids really need to go to college?

If you also look at it from a weight per square foot of hull area the trend follows the weight increase so the added wetted area of each hull being slightly larger is offset (negatively) by the additional weight of the boat.  A bit surprising given the somewhat austere interior of the new TXI that it has a higher wt./area compared to what appears to be more luxurious previous models (at least from the pictures we see). 

Can't knock the initial success of a world record right out of the chute though, looking forward to seeing one in person.

• Like 2

Just talked to dealer. Said they will be filling in/raising the step over. Not compliant with reg's...too low to waterline or something like that. 

Edited by Dacon62
57 minutes ago, Dacon62 said:

Just talked to dealer. Said they will be filling in/raising the step over. Not compliant with reg's...too low to waterline or something like that. 

Wasn't legal in Australia I read on BOS

1 hour ago, Dacon62 said:

So what is the purpose of eliminating the "trunk"?

7 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Wasn't legal in Australia I read on BOS

Yeah read that too. Dealer mentioned did not comply with US/Canadian reg's as well. 

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 3:19 PM, Dacon62 said:

Bummer, I like a low step over for a slalom tug.  Interesting, many vessels have low transoms but one does have to meet the regs.  Might be a few 'unique' TXI's available...

@Dacon62:  Thanks for the link & update.

Edited by Woodski

The main thing is, that pull and wake is certainly top notch. Congratulations !  I'd love to ski behind one.

Being the positive person, I see lots of area's on the inside and overall look that could evolve to match that obvious sweet running surface !

Ha,

Steve B.

For apperance,  graphics and coloring can sure make a deference in perspective! Nice layput ahopkinsTXi. Still I struggle with the bow,  I'm sure over time it'll grow me. 

Watching the video on Malibu's Web,  that wake is almost nonexisting. Nice work Malibu, 

3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

And I have been playing with boat builder for the past two days.......... :blush:

txi2.JPG

txi.JPG

LOVE THE LOOK!

So... definitely upgrading this year?

Edited by BadgerBoater55
Content add