Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

clearly a ski racking system in gunnels...nice

But...do they think no one ties up to a dock?  that pronounced "belt loop" is going to see some crazy wear.  Hope the fenders locks are placed strategically.

1 hour ago, Chaabo said:

57meuwdcs1ls.jpg

Rear step over is not notched down were as the pic at the boat tests shows that it was. Hmmm...wonder if a change was made? Wonder if the notched down version was a rope snagger?

Edited by Dacon62
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, Woodski said:

It will be interesting to see a better view and actually ski the machine.  The new hulls all seem to create or throw a pretty wide 'whitewater' swath outside the second wake.  Certainly a result of lifting the boat to minimize wake size and to reduce vertical spray (ala MC 'bullet machine' - early 90's PS190) that energy has to go somewhere.  Interesting engineering problem, what is the effect on ski path, loss of angle due to skiing through some aerated water, etc.

@Chaabo:  nice pic, thx. 

The people who have skied it all gave it a big :thumbup: .  A number of 41 off runs in the first outing.  Don't think it effecting the ski.  Everything I have seen is a better wake at every line length.  Not sure no likely don't like the looks of the new front! But if I am using it as a ski tug I don't need extra room in the bow. But that's me I still love the lines of a nice pointed bow. 

Not doing if for me, but I'm way too recreational.  Vimeo link from BOS of TXi pulling some beginners (Nickelback warning, WTF!):

Edited by powbmps

@Dacon62:  I noticed the same thing on that picture, started to comment on what appears in the picture you posted that the transom looks to be a constant height with no notch.  I went back to the early pics to compare and deleted my comment from the actual picture that shows a notch.  Wonder what the final design will be if there is a change, I assumed that side by side picture may have some photo shopping since it also appears no platform  & if no notch what is the reasoning behind it.  Boat certainly looks very functional for a slalom tug.

Interesting to notice the big three slalom tugs are now all directly aimed at three event or buoy chaser applications, much less directed at family or 'not pulling a skier' attributes (deletion of rear trunk, full width rear seating, sun pad...).  Obviously market research has aimed these vessels in that direction, in a sense at the expense of @ahopkinsTXi comments and needs/wants.

@powbmps:  nice video post, interesting to do a little wake comparison across the 3 boats.  One thing for sure, an incredible amount of slalom talent in the video, very impressive skiing by all.

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@Dacon62:  I noticed the same thing on that picture, started to comment on what appears in the picture you posted that the transom looks to be a constant height with no notch.  I went back to the early pics to compare and deleted my comment from the actual picture that shows a notch.  Wonder what the final design will be if there is a change, I assumed that side by side picture may have some photo shopping since it also appears no platform  & if no notch what is the reasoning behind it.  Boat certainly looks very functional for a slalom tug.

Interesting to notice the big three slalom tugs are now all directly aimed at three event or buoy chaser applications, much less directed at family or 'not pulling a skier' attributes (deletion of rear trunk, full width rear seating, sun pad...).  Obviously market research has aimed these vessels in that direction, in a sense at the expense of @ahopkinsTXi comments and needs/wants.

It will be ok. @ahopkinsTXi is going to get a VTX anyway :Tease3:

A lot better on the move in the video (if you remember to look at the boats and not the skiing).  Closed bow treatment is meh, but overall great looking boat.

1 hour ago, River Monsters said:

(if you remember to look at the boats and not the skiing). 

Haha, that's what I did!  Had to scroll back and check out the boat.

26 minutes ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

Our dealer has a few photos up on Facebook.  Some of the new response and a few 22MXZ wake shots to throw in as well! To stay on topic... Response photos first!

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/MFizell/media/14890563_10154543834261142_1443094825121669540_o_zps9gjotn6t.jpg.html?o=0

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/MFizell/media/14918908_10154543834521142_108199897011093979_o_zps3ufx8p8m.jpg.html?o=3

Usually I have no problem posting pics... HELP!

14890563_10154543834261142_1443094825121

14918908_10154543834521142_1081998970110

Second one has the step through.

My initial reaction was pretty negative, but after seeing it in the videos and the pics above I am coming around. I just love the classic Malibu look and this is such a departure from that, I kind of went into shock.

I think the pic above with the tower is cool. Honestly, its pretty close to what I envisioned if they release an Axis version.

I am disappointed that they treated it like the soul use will be tournaments, but maybe as more details emerge there will be other options available. I think they should go after the family side of the dd users, but then again, they do have the VTX, which can serve that purpose very well for most.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dacon62 said:

Rear step over is not notched down were as the pic at the boat tests shows that it was. Hmmm...wonder if a change was made? Wonder if the notched down version was a rope snagger?

Probably does snag the rope. But, that is a good way to force your observer to stay awake and wrangle the snag away !

Steve B.

I don't see any issues with the step down. ( rope snagger ) The rope well skiing is never slacked in the middle. Also look at the video  I think it is with Will Asher you get some nice shots from behind after he rounds the island at the start. The rope looks to be 12"  above the back of the boat. The only thing I ever hit the rope on with our boats is a tower.

Me thinks I'll be sticking to the 2012 TXi for a few years yet... Does absolutely nothing for me on any level. :(

Looks more like a Mastercraft than a Malibu... need to see one in the flesh though....

Edited by Punyelroo
29 minutes ago, Badger said:

This comment isn't directed at the poster above but at the overall population of this site and the world in general.

I laugh every time Malibu introduces something new (G3 tower, surfgate, picklefork, M235, new Response, etc...).  The reaction on this board always starts at the negative end of the spectrum.  After a week or two, a couple of people will warm up to it.  After a couple of months, more people have actually seen it in person and it looks good.  After a year, I'm not sure how we ever got along with the old design!  Can anyone here imagine going back to the original Illusion tower, if given the choice?

Honestly, I can't wait to see one in person and even better would be to ski it.  I wouldn't ever be a buyer (unless I win the lottery), but I love that Malibu is still willing to put the R&D into new introductions.

I'm a newcomer to this whole boat ownership thing.  I understand that Malibu needs to concentrate on marketing a boat like this to the hardcore skier, as it is such a niche market these days and families are buying surf boats.  I will never be a serious skier, or at all competitive, but have zero interest in anything other than a DD ski boat.  I do know that I look at this new boat, and see nothing that appeals to me.  The Mastercraft bow and windshield still look lousy to me, so I don't think I will ever like it on a Malibu, but to each their own.    

My next boat will have an open bow and "trunk", as those are the only two things I feel like I am missing (or more importantly my wife feels we are missing).  No tower, no touch screen.  Luckily for me, a "new boat" will be in the 2000-2010 range, so I can still get a Response that is perfect for my needs.

Looking forward to seeing more photos and reviews though.  No matter what I'm still a Malibu geek.

• Like 2
On 11/2/2016 at 4:22 PM, Malibu Mike D1 said:

There will be more pictures and videos that you can shake a ski at a bit after noon tomorrow. Which coincidentally aligns when Malibu Dealers will be test driving and skiing the boats themselves. (Yes i will be among them)

Hoopla!  One event video, one catalog scan, and two dealer photos. Where are the goods? ;)

Edited by powbmps
2 hours ago, Badger said:

This comment isn't directed at the poster above but at the overall population of this site and the world in general.

I laugh every time Malibu introduces something new (G3 tower, surfgate, picklefork, M235, new Response, etc...).  The reaction on this board always starts at the negative end of the spectrum.  After a week or two, a couple of people will warm up to it.  After a couple of months, more people have actually seen it in person and it looks good.  After a year, I'm not sure how we ever got along with the old design!  Can anyone here imagine going back to the original Illusion tower, if given the choice?

Honestly, I can't wait to see one in person and even better would be to ski it.  I wouldn't ever be a buyer (unless I win the lottery), but I love that Malibu is still willing to put the R&D into new introductions.

Well said!

BTW I really like the new Bu. I also really like the new Prostar. I agree that the perfect family ski boats are probably the 07-up RLXi/TXi (which I also like a lot), but coming from my 94 ELX and it's copious storage (*sarcasm) I'm sure we'd be just as comfortable in the new ones. And we haven't been uncomfortable in ours, space-wise, ever.