Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All new 2017 Response

scotchipman

None of the new slalom boats are really footing machines.  They all displace too much water underway.  There might be a bit of spray for the boom guys on a 5' line compared to older hulls, but I can't imagine a new tourney hull would have spray issues outside 41' unless there's a crazy headwind.

On 10/24/2016 at 2:21 PM, footndale said:

If you are in Winter Haven area, the boats are there now.

USA Water Ski Assoc, lake.

14853177_10154187622449542_1200539928963

Just out of curiosity. How many people know what is floating in the water behind the boats??? 

Made me laugh when I saw it in this pic as I'm related to the guy who designed it and remember watching the first prototype being tested when I was like 7 years old at my grandpas cottage. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sledandski said:

Just out of curiosity. How many people know what is floating in the water behind the boats??? 

Made me laugh when I saw it in this pic as I'm related to the guy who designed it and remember watching the first prototype being tested when I was like 7 years old at my grandpas cottage. 

Think its a pull behind the boat "drone" that simulates a skiers drag for acceleration testing. First heard of it way back in Waterski Magazine  

Was it something Ed Brazil developed or helped develope?

Was wondering if someone would say something. 

On 10/27/2016 at 6:36 AM, oldjeep said:

6.0 GDI ?  Or did they actually just redesign an entire boat and use an old school MPI engine in it?  I just figured that since many view the Nautique as the gold standard and Malibu is basically buying engines from nautique (sister division) that they would be using the same motors as Nautique and leaving the old fashioned stuff to Centurion.

Wrong. Centurion gets same motors as Nautique. This year Centurion dropped the H5 and went with the 6.0L, H6 and Supercharged 6.2. IMO the 6.0L is a slight upgrade in power over the H5. It's a cheaper motor and I'm guessing the new Bu slalom boat will come with the 6.0L.

1 hour ago, skurfer said:

Wrong. Centurion gets same motors as Nautique. This year Centurion dropped the H5 and went with the 6.0L, H6 and Supercharged 6.2. IMO the 6.0L is a slight upgrade in power over the H5. It's a cheaper motor and I'm guessing the new Bu slalom boat will come with the 6.0L.

fwiw, one of the guys in the know says 6.0 and 6.0 HO are the only options for the new TXI. So last years crusader 409 and 450 engines.

Edited by oldjeep
12 hours ago, sledandski said:

No! And I was going to post the Q? Wondering who, what and Where....lol...

On 10/20/2016 at 4:47 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

I would never let the driver grab my ski from me. He needs to be paying attention to driving the boat lol. And all I can picture is the ski swinging into the side of my boat gouging the hull and messing my fin up. Also IMO talking to people in the water is a non issue with the current TXi windshield. Unless you are from the shire...

So I tried this today and it is no big deal.  Key off, drifting towards down rider with ski off.  Reach and grab. Stand and drop behind drivers seat.

On 10/29/2016 at 1:27 AM, Dacon62 said:

Think its a pull behind the boat "drone" that simulates a skiers drag for acceleration testing. First heard of it way back in Waterski Magazine  

Was it something Ed Brazil developed or helped develope?

Was wondering if someone would say something. 

22 hours ago, Dare2goBare said:

No! And I was going to post the Q? Wondering who, what and Where....lol...

Dacon is right.  Its a drone for acceleration testing / verifying they can meet the AWSA requirement.  Before it was created they would pull skiers for the acceleration test but there was a lot of variation depending on the skier.  So the drone was created.  I don't know who was all involved but I know Ron Tanis is the guy who built them.

• Like 2

This is the last I saw (Oct 28)

There will be an official release of the Response in connection with the Malibu National Dealer meeting which takes place next week in Miami. Photos will be available and plentiful then.

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

This is the last I saw (Oct 28)

There will be an official release of the Response in connection with the Malibu National Dealer meeting which takes place next week in Miami. Photos will be available and plentiful then.

There will be more pictures and videos that you can shake a ski at a bit after noon tomorrow. Which coincidentally aligns when Malibu Dealers will be test driving and skiing the boats themselves. (Yes i will be among them)

Anybody know the total numbers for promo boats?  Looking on ski it again there are 13 Nautique, 12 Mastercraft, 9 Malibu, 7 Centurion for sale in the promo boat section.  Not sure if that is a relatively close ratio to actual tournament boats in use.  Not very scientific.  Obviously more ski boats being manufactured than market demand with big depreciation numbers and number of boats available.  We are fortunate Malibu is still putting the money into the Response.

48 minutes ago, River Monsters said:

Anybody know the total numbers for promo boats?  Looking on ski it again there are 13 Nautique, 12 Mastercraft, 9 Malibu, 7 Centurion for sale in the promo boat section.  Not sure if that is a relatively close ratio to actual tournament boats in use.  Not very scientific.  Obviously more ski boats being manufactured than market demand with big depreciation numbers and number of boats available.  We are fortunate Malibu is still putting the money into the Response.

Don't know if that is a good measure.  I see many people advertise to order my promo boat so you can get just what you want. So order the boat at the end of the season you buy it. But I have no clue!  We may never see that boat hit the market before the 3ed buyer.

Edited by Sixball
16 hours ago, River Monsters said:

Lot of them sold already too

18 hours ago, River Monsters said:

We have seven newer DD ski boats and only three V drives on my side of the lake.  I think the DD boats are more purpose use. Like me if I am not skiing the boat is on the lift. I have a pontoon if I want to cruse the lake same as many of my buds.

20 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The spray off the boat looks like it diminishes very quickly!

It will be interesting to see a better view and actually ski the machine.  The new hulls all seem to create or throw a pretty wide 'whitewater' swath outside the second wake.  Certainly a result of lifting the boat to minimize wake size and to reduce vertical spray (ala MC 'bullet machine' - early 90's PS190) that energy has to go somewhere.  Interesting engineering problem, what is the effect on ski path, loss of angle due to skiing through some aerated water, etc.

@Chaabo:  nice pic, thx. 

Edited by Woodski
ahopkins22LSV

I really like that open bow. Looks very roomy. I like the boat more and more everytime I see it. Still numbed about no rear trunk but the transom looks fairly deep so the two compartments on each side of the walkway might hold the fenders, lines, and small anchor I keep back there. My fenders are like 14-16" diameter though. 

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, Woodski said:

Rear compartments on the Prostar are actually sized to be slalom buoy diameter so they can be used as a checking gauge, I thought that was kind of cool.  Certainly for a target audience.

That is cool but doesn't serve families much purpose ;)