Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 M235

BadgerBoater55

Have you been in a 235?  On the water? With boards and lines and towels and backpacks and other riders trying to get from point A to point B? With the rear wakeview seat deployed?  I have.  Have you been on one at all?   Maybe you have, I don't know.

What I DO know is that:

• 11 people on my boat is much more plausible than 17 on the M235.

• during the "demo" we did, the concensus was a) this boat is crazy cool and b) this boat is waaay smaller inside than you'd expect

•the M is being advertised as a "big" boat..... and when you get in one, the very LAST thing a potential buyer is gonna think is "man, this thing is big".  If I was Malibu I'd be focusing on its strengths; world class wake, massive amounts of storage, cutting edge technology and top of the line fit/finish.

and FWIW; if you read my previous post closely, which I'm sure you did, you would have seen my disclaimer about how I realize nobody regularly fills their boat to capacity. 

Edited by -BS-
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, thtrog said:

Little deceptive since that 47% seems to include all the revenue they now get from the brands they bought last year.  If Malibu bought bayliner they could probably claim a 1000% increase for one year ;)

I hear a lot of talk about the M only needing stock ballast to create a 'world class wake'.  Its a 23 footer that weighs 6500+ lbs.  It starts at almost my LSV WITH ballast .. so I would hope so.

1 hour ago, -BS- said:

Have you been in a 235?  On the water? With boards and lines and towels and backpacks and other riders trying to get from point A to point B? With the rear wakeview seat deployed?  I have.  Have you been on one at all?   Maybe you have, I don't know.

What I DO know is that:

• 11 people on my boat is much more plausible than 17 on the M235.

• during the "demo" we did, the concensus was a) this boat is crazy cool and b) this boat is waaay smaller inside than you'd expect

•the M is being advertised as a "big" boat..... and when you get in one, the very LAST thing a potential buyer is gonna think is "man, this thing is big".  If I was Malibu I'd be focusing on its strengths; world class wake, massive amounts of storage, cutting edge technology and top of the line fit/finish.

and FWIW; if you read my previous post closely, which I'm sure you did, you would have seen my disclaimer about how I realize nobody regularly fills their boat to capacity. 

This is accurate.  I got into a 2017 24MXZ and it felt WAY bigger.  The M235 felt a lot like a slightly bigger 23LSV/22MXZ cross on the inside.  The 17 people is certainly referring to the weight it can take on IMO.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, thtrog said:

Nautique is doing very well, they are also starting to turn Centurion into a contender.   Chopping thier offering down to a line up  that should sell fairly well.   

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Centurion / Supreme only sells ~ 400 boats a year.  It's basically the size of MB Sports.

Just sayin... 

True, however that is 400 additional units.  Corect Craft's Nautique brand is/was only what 1400?  So going from 1400 to 1800 is significant.  Especially with PCM also in house, margins should be getting better with volume.   I also suspect Centurion will start gaining share. The new product is way ahead of the Enzo.  We looked at Enzo in 2014, the boss was not a fan, I convinced her to take a second look, this time they have her seal of approval.  

I just need to demo and see if wave is what I am hoping for.  

10 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I hear a lot of talk about the M only needing stock ballast to create a 'world class wake'.  Its a 23 footer that weighs 6500+ lbs.  It starts at almost my LSV WITH ballast .. so I would hope so.

Goofy wave looks unbelievable with stock weight.  So does the wake.  IMO The regular side surf needs more than stock, and maybe a slight list.  It wasn't good with just stock.  But hey, there's a TON of storage space for extra ballast, so you could add some and not even notice it.

One aspect of hosting big 10+ crowds on these bigger boats is storage space.

whether you believe 17 adult butts could find seat space isn't what I'm talking about.  What I'm saying is we all know 13-14 folks absolutely could find decent seat space.  And what I'm saying is, those 13-14 folks could all bring their own backpack... And there is enough storage in compartments for 13-14 backpacks in compartments... In addition to the cooler, gear, vests and boards.  You can host a huge crowd and not be stumbling over all the crap knee deep all over the deck.

you aren't getting that on your 23, 247 or MxZ boats.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DarkSide said:

True, however that is 400 additional units.  Corect Craft's Nautique brand is/was only what 1400?  So going from 1400 to 1800 is significant.  Especially with PCM also in house, margins should be getting better with volume.   I also suspect Centurion will start gaining share. The new product is way ahead of the Enzo.  We looked at Enzo in 2014, the boss was not a fan, I convinced her to take a second look, this time they have her seal of approval.  

They can dial up shoulder high waves to a 5'3" person from the dash.  Wife was at Surfest 2015 we said make it huge, was already real good, and instantly it was shoulder high, the boardco green boat

11 hours ago, DarkSide said:

I agree that Centurion is stepping it up big time... They have a few former Malibu guys there and from what I have seen on facebook, they are selling!  I just don't know about the price point, they are starting to creep in to Malibu/Nautique money these days...

13 hours ago, ID AX said:

@thtrog stirring the pot! :lol:

Keeping it alive Idaho! :biggrin: 

BTW did @shawn here ever his M235 in TN??? I'm still not aware of any 235's being sold here in NC. I heard one was inked for a order in Charlotte, but not sure if it went through.

Edited by thtrog

Saw a 2017 Enzo 217.. impressive changes. but for that kind of money.. I'll stick with a bu..

How many 25s have sold in comparison to the Ms? Could it be.. the flagship M is a flop? I mean they are rare.. ugly..and only good for one thing... OK..OK..maybe 2. things if anyone actually wakeboards anymore.. but that's soo 10years ago.. ha

I would think they are selling significantly more 25 than M235.  I also really suspect the 2017 24 MXZ is going to make the M235 even a harder sell.  Very similar boats, yet the MXZ can be significantly less money.  However comparably equipped they are not priced that far apart. 

The M235 is just way overpriced. Plain and simple. And they need to be careful with the MXZ becoming overpriced as well.

On 9/14/2016 at 11:00 AM, thtrog said:

Hah. Funny part is that they are #3 in market share (I know revenue and Market Share aren't directly correlated) in NC this year. Malibu and Axis, #1 #2.

I thought the guys at promarine said they sold an ordered M. And it seemed like someone was slated to buy the blue one at the fall boat show. Not sure if the sale went through.

Edited by boardjnky4
2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Saw a 2017 Enzo 217.. impressive changes. but for that kind of money.. I'll stick with a bu..

How many 25s have sold in comparison to the Ms? Could it be.. the flagship M is a flop? I mean they are rare.. ugly..and only good for one thing... OK..OK..maybe 2. things if anyone actually wakeboards anymore.. but that's soo 10years ago.. ha

I'd be curious to know what the total sales number is on the M235.  Local dealer has to have sold a minimum of 4 this year just based on what they stocked at various times this year, and they are down to 1 left in stock according to the website.

On 9/13/2016 at 9:57 AM, Stevo said:

Still scratching my head on the marketing from Malibu. I don't want to be told this is luxurious, isn't that really up to the user/buyer to determine.

im fine with the branding and the montra "truth is on the water" but the voice over and the tempo of the video footage don't match up, I feel like I'm watching a wake video with a guy talking to me about the side effects of a prescription medication.

am I alone here?

I have directly contacted a few of malibu's marketing department personnel on email and linkedin. They dont know anything about Marketing and dont have the industry chops to back their titles up. For years I sold marketing solutions to the Fortune 100 (anything you get from microsoft, amex, etc is all on my old platform) and offered to help them out free of charge. Crickets...

:)

This is 1998 level video production.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 95echelon said:

I have directly contacted a few of malibu's marketing department personnel on email and linkedin. They dont know anything about Marketing and dont have the industry chops to back their titles up. For years I sold marketing solutions to the Fortune 100 (anything you get from microsoft, amex, etc is all on my old platform) and offered to help them out free of charge. Crickets...

:)

This is 1998 level video production.

They should honestly just put a link to theMalibuCrew on page one of their catalog... I bet they sell more boats when we get to them!

I have had my 2017 M235 for about a month now and I am very happy with it.  The regular side wake is just as strong and clean as the goofy side HONESTLY!!

Yes the windshield changed from 16 to 17 along with a few other things which I dont recall all of them

The 17 Led Rings are no longer Blue due to some kinda Coast Guard issues so now they are White.

Also the 17's have wet sounds Speakers throughout along with Malibu Branded Amps.

I personally really like the FAE as you dont have to yell to talk.

Oh yeah the Transfer beeper on the back of the boat is now played thru the stereo speakers and the Tower Lights flash, no longer do you need the small Led Lights that where mounted  on the side of the  tower.

The storage is great as we flip up the rear facing seats and slide our wakeboards and surfers under the seats.

Just a few observations

10 hours ago, thtrog said:

Keeping it alive Idaho! :biggrin: 

BTW did @shawn here ever his M235 in TN??? I'm still not aware of any 235's being sold here in NC. I heard one was inked for a order in Charlotte, but not sure if it went through.

I still have it but I will make someone a great deal I need to order my 17. The 235 is the best boat I have ever got from Malibu. Does everything that I want great wakeboard wake and the best surf wake. I can change it from long to tall plus it rides real nice on the lakes.  I really liked the 25LSV great wake lots of room would do it again but also a lot of money. All the boats from all the brands are getting high.  I hear all this talk about how high the M is but I have not heard of one person that pays retail.