Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need input...vault bearings or grease?

rugger

I have the vaults on my 2010 trailer for my LSV.  I tie around 3,000 miles per year and have had no issues. I had the trailer mfg repack the bearings two years ago because they were doing the brakes and it wasn’t much more to do the bearings at the same time.  I had the regular grease bearings on prior two boats. The first one was a single axle trailer on an 18’ Nautique and I lost a beating on a road trip in the middle of nowhere. I added bearing buddies after that and had no more issues. I liked the bearing buddies because it was easy to see if the grease was full. As others said check the temp on trips and always check your tire pressure before long trips. 

• 4 years later...

I had the Vault "HLS" (Hybrid Lubrication System) on the four tires on my trailer, and I just noticed that one of the Vault caps is missing.  So all I have is some gray grease covering the bolt.  

Do I need to replace the Vault HLS with the same unit?  It's pretty hard to find the Vault HLS up here in Seattle...but my West Marine store has a "CE Smith 1.985 Bearing Protector" which looks like it might do the trick (as I will use some marine grease to fill up this system).  Or is it more complicated than that?  

Here's a photo of the CE Smith Bearing Protector.  https://www.westmarine.com/c-e-smith-1.985inch-bearing-protector-18061267.html

Thanks.

Donnie