Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dual vs Single exhausts

blytle473

I had no exhaust issues with the dual exhaust on my VTX.  My new LSV (with the single) is loud and I notice a lot more exhaust fumes when surfing.  My least favorite things about the new  boat.  The silent tip exhaust does nothing.  Will be adding surf pipe at end of season.

10 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Sound is everything. I still vividly recall the shudder I felt as a young boy the first time I heard an inboard burbling at a Marina on the Fox River. As an " old man" I have grown to appreciate muffled engine exhaust at speed, but I still smile everytime I hear an inboard idling or taking off.

It's funny, I have always been a fan of the growl of a nicely tuned dual exhaust.  On our I/O I had to have the thru-hull exhaust...loved it at start up, man did that sound great!  However after a while it became a nuisance, luckily I could switch it off.  When underway you couldn't hear anything or talk with anyone in the boat without screaming.  Eventually, to justify the extra expense  I would flip the switch to thur-hull coming in and out of our slip just to hear the growl.  It was certainely a head turner, but unfortunately  the heads that turned where not always smiling.  

• Like 1
On September 9, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Anyone can slap on a blower and make more power.  Sure...and GM's are making more power on their V8's.  

As for useful power band, OHV motors are known for having low end power.  Take a look at some real world stock chassis dyno numbers.  The Fords don't fair as well as the GM's typically.

Are you doing an apples-to-apples comparison (IE, are you comparing your 6.2L to a same tranny ratio, same same prop and at least the 6.0L GM motor)?  

When doing an apples to apples comparison the 6.2 Ford has much better torque and power than the 6.0 GM motor. (At least according to the dyno results provided to CARB.)