Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding GPS Navigation

Driver

50 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Following, Would like to do this on my 18 LSV,

I did it on my 2018 LSV and it was very easy to do. I just mounted the cheap amazon antenna on the inside fiberglass at the top part of the drivers compartment right next to where you plug it in. Reception was fine and I didn’t have to drill holes or route the cord. 

22 hours ago, siteki said:

I did it on my 2018 LSV and it was very easy to do. I just mounted the cheap amazon antenna on the inside fiberglass at the top part of the drivers compartment right next to where you plug it in. Reception was fine and I didn’t have to drill holes or route the cord. 

You mind sharing the exact part #s for everything you used?

51 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Thanks siteki. Guessing access is from under the dash to mount antenna and insert SD/MSD card?

Access is behind the seat back in the bow. Remove the strut and plastic bin to access the back of the helm. The place to plug in the card and antenna is on the right towards the top when facing the back of the boat. It seemed to be right behind where the sport knob and phone holder are positioned. Hope this helps. 

I’ve been following this thread bc I’d love to add this feature to mine. So I crawled underneath the dash to look at the back of my screen and it looks nothing like the pics in comparison. It’s a 2013 LSV. Is it doable with this year? 

Does the Navionics allow you to track your progress and follow your track back home if needed? (drop breadcrumb trail as you move) I have always used an old automotive Garmin GPS for this on large lakes that I am not 100% familiar with.

On 11/5/2018 at 8:00 PM, dalt1 said:

Does the Navionics allow you to track your progress and follow your track back home if needed? (drop breadcrumb trail as you move) I have always used an old automotive Garmin GPS for this on large lakes that I am not 100% familiar with.

Nobody have any input here?

Yes it does.  I used it to track my path up the Colorado River from Lake Havasu so on the return trip I would know were to go and not hit a sand bar. It worked great, had a line of people following me lol

• Like 2

Crystal Springs Marina to Island 7 at night/pitch black

Lake Ouachita, Ark, surrounded by National Forrest so no lights or landmarks.  I used the avionics to lay the route out to the Island from the Marina, then after dark we followed the path back to the Marina to drop off the non campers, then back out to the Island for those who sleep on rocks.  Without the ability to follow the track back to the Marina I would have been lost until daylight.

Google Earth Link Below

1541793272832.kml

Edited by Bozboat
17 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Crystal Springs Marina to Island 7 at night/pitch black

Lake Ouachita, Ark, surrounded by National Forrest so no lights or landmarks.  I used the avionics to lay the route out to the Island from the Marina, then after dark we followed the path back to the Marina to drop off the non campers, then back out to the Island for those who sleep on rocks.  Without the ability to follow the track back to the Marina I would have been lost until daylight.

Google Earth Link Below

1541793272832.kml

Seen that post earlier but noticed the year difference in boats and was hoping it was still the same capabilities today. I used to go to Ouachita every year for about 5 years straight back in the early 2000s. Love that lake.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:06 AM, Skymedic said:

I’ve been following this thread bc I’d love to add this feature to mine. So I crawled underneath the dash to look at the back of my screen and it looks nothing like the pics in comparison. It’s a 2013 LSV. Is it doable with this year? 

Completely different system. As far as i know there is no maps option for that setup. 

On 11/10/2018 at 7:28 AM, dalt1 said:

Seen that post earlier but noticed the year difference in boats and was hoping it was still the same capabilities today. I used to go to Ouachita every year for about 5 years straight back in the early 2000s. Love that lake.

My old boat doesn’t have the Nav built in, I use an iPad or an iPhone. I think the app was $60 +\-

However you use it, Navionics is a great program. 

On 11/10/2018 at 11:00 AM, COOP said:

Completely different system. As far as i know there is no maps option for that setup. 

Appreciate the help. I thought there may be since it has a map button on the screen. 

8 hours ago, Skymedic said:

Appreciate the help. I thought there may be since it has a map button on the screen. 

It might have the option then. But I dont have any experience adding it to the older systems. We have quite a few of those systems out there, but no one has added the nav to them, that I know of.

9 hours ago, COOP said:

It might have the option then. But I dont have any experience adding it to the older systems. We have quite a few of those systems out there, but no one has added the nav to them, that I know of.

I’ll keep digging and see what info I can find. I’m sure I’m not the first trying to figure it out. Lol. 

On 10/31/2018 at 9:06 AM, Skymedic said:

@21lsvskier may have some information on this for you. He's got a 2013 with the Navionics maps functional.

On 10/30/2018 at 7:57 PM, dalt1 said:

Thanks siteki. Guessing access is from under the dash to mount antenna and insert SD/MSD card?

On 10/30/2018 at 8:53 PM, siteki said:

Access is behind the seat back in the bow. Remove the strut and plastic bin to access the back of the helm. The place to plug in the card and antenna is on the right towards the top when facing the back of the boat. It seemed to be right behind where the sport knob and phone holder are positioned. Hope this helps. 

image.thumb.png.a9546c2c9798405d6c1b4e877aa52d13.pngSo i have puled my front Starboard storage compartment. This must be the area to plug in antenna and card right? Have not looked at new antenna or card yet, can you point me to where they plug in. Guessing top right and left?

So I have installed the antenna. Screwed in the connector and stuck the antenna puck to the steel structural mount that is in the front port side of the compartment under the helm (left side of pic). The pic is taken from the bow area of boat looking into this compartment after removing the plastic storage box. Used zip ties to make sure it or the wires don't move or fall off or get chaffed.

Do  need to do the computer update to SD card or will it work as is? Says readyimage.thumb.png.13ea27f6353674109dfb0f2111e61882.png to use right on the front of the box but inside says to update?image.thumb.png.99d99be09e55a6c0be30f54a73657c72.png

image.png