Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 24mxz demo report

Capdoogie

On September 6, 2016 at 10:16 AM, BadgerBoater55 said:

The acquisition happened over a year ago, last June if memory serves me correct.  Centurion has built a heck of a team, great boats, but they are getting expensive too!  Not the same fit and finish as a Malibu or Nautique though.

Saw the sexiest yellow direct drive centurion black tower and i think it may have had yellow wet sounds revs in the tower that had my mouth watering and I think the bow was closed? , possibly the prettiest wake boat I have ever witnessed , my G buddy wasn't so enthused, it wasn't a modern vdrive surf boat ? But that shape of the hull and color unbelievable !

Edited by granddaddy55
50 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

You can't compare a G23 to an Axis A20 (which is also what I have). Wakeboarding or Wakesurfing, it's just not a fair comparison.

I find the wakeboard wake is firmer than Malibu wakes. I've wakeboarded behind an A24 that is comparable in size (with A LOT of ballast). 25LSV (full stock + 2 clicks wedge + ~12 people), as far as I remember, was bigger than the G23.

Ok , I'm a half assed wakeboarder at best who just got released from broken femur to fly again, so I trust you, I admit my a20 full load wake for boarding slammed with wedge scared me back to stock and wedge, but surfing I know and that g wave is ridiculous with people and I would bet the stock g and say 10 or more would compete equal or beat the surf wave of slammed say T23(not disparaging that boat but for equivalents ) plus the people.  it has those ramp adjustments that are different for goofy and regular which axis does not have and are necessary for the prop rotation vs the side selected , and the transfer is so easy over and back 

Im sure Malibu with power wedge can make adjustments, I just wonder if it does it as well as the , is it , NSS? Ramp adjustments 

Edited by granddaddy55

The power wedge II, especially with it's lift feature, can change the wave DRASTICALLY. In lift mode, the wave is super mellow and flatter in shape. With it a few clicks up, it's steep and lippy. And obviously there are a number of settings in between.

I won't compare it to other boats, because I'm not primarily a wake surfer. 

Honestly, my opinion on surf waves is much simpler than most of the forum folks. I came from Ocean surfing on the east coast. With ocean surfing, you ride what mother nature throws at you. With wakesurfing, you spend oodles of money trying to make the wave "perfect". No matter the wave, I surf just as well behind my A20 with suction-cup device as I do behind a 25LSV.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 2
46 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

The power wedge II, especially with it's lift feature, can change the wave DRASTICALLY. In lift mode, the wave is super mellow and flatter in shape. With it a few clicks up, it's steep and lippy. And obviously there are a number of settings in between.

I won't compare it to other boats, because I'm not primarily a wake surfer. 

Honestly, my opinion on surf waves is much simpler than most of the forum folks. I came from Ocean surfing on the east coast. With ocean surfing, you ride what mother nature throws at you. With wakesurfing, you spend oodles of money trying to make the wave "perfect". No matter the wave, I surf just as well behind my A20 with suction-cup device as I do behind a 25LSV.

Live to surf my gated a20, ordered my albino in dec2013 and kept it cheap  price point , there were no used 2013 SG wake setters available to even talk about , they weren't giving away the nice SG upgraded boats so I went cheap with the expensive trailer galvanized painted

i spent way less than oodles, 49500 (54500 with trailer) with 8 or so key options including wedge snd gate 63500 including trailer TTL and all safety equip and surfboards and sacs for pnp and tower mirror and 4 racks from texasmalibu spare off an upgraded boat. yes wedge is an option when ordering cheap or expensive.

Everybody seems to forget the "price point concept " because then intend to re market their baby to avoid the non warranty maintenance and to spend the next oodles cause that's their rush

here is my slammed a20 goofy

I'm real bad cheap, could have saved boat sales tax vs trailer tax on a used 13 wake setter SG , but really very few if any available dec2013.  2014 early axis has the most dependable slow older SG rams debugged by Malibu 2013 season of experience.  SG system making it an awesome value boat if ordered that way and you keep it for 10 years or more

Edited by granddaddy55

So now this opens the question of when will the 23lsv hull change again?  It changed in 2014 but above water line to give more side rail height, now will we see a change for 2018?

Edited by Capdoogie
On 9/4/2016 at 3:22 PM, Capdoogie said:

And at wakesurf nats the G23 had at least a 400 to 650 lb sumo sac up front and who knows in the rear I didn't ask. So don't let anyone say the G23 is just ready to go!

It is ready to go.

You must not have been on a 2016.  Totally different hull needs nothing from the factory

ahopkins22LSV
14 minutes ago, Capdoogie said:

So now this opens the question of when will the 23lsv hull change again?  It changed in 2014 but above water line to give more side rail height, now will we see a change for 2018?

Pretty sure the running surface changed as well. But that was a lot of :beer: 's ago so I could be wrong. 

Malibu is pretty much on a five year cycle though so if it does again, I would expect 2019. 

2015 and years prior G23s with factory stock ballast are not good without extra weight.  If you run 1100s in the rear lockers and some lead to counter prop rotation or a super large crew, they are great.

The hull changes in 2016 are night and day.

I love the comment, "no idea what year it is".  It kind of matters what year.  When you completely redesign the hull, it does have an effect on the wave.

Go surf a 2016.  Or just ask the guys on the forum that surfed mine.  I think they will agree that the stock ballast wave is more than 99.9% of us will ever need.   

3 hours ago, bamaboy said:

A lot of Malibu Kool Aids ago?  Yeah, that Kool Aid messes with your mind.  :Tease3:

So what do Nautique bros drink?  Tang? hi-C? Everyone has their beverage of choice!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bamaboy said:

2015 and years prior G23s with factory stock ballast are not good without extra weight.  If you run 1100s in the rear lockers and some lead to counter prop rotation or a super large crew, they are great.

The hull changes in 2016 are night and day.

I love the comment, "no idea what year it is".  It kind of matters what year.  When you completely redesign the hull, it does have an effect on the wave.

Go surf a 2016.  Or just ask the guys on the forum that surfed mine.  I think they will agree that the stock ballast wave is more than 99.9% of us will ever need.   

I totally understand what you're saying. I'm just trolling.

But lets face it. There are a bunch of members no here who are constantly claiming that the G23 (Gen 1) is the best thing since sliced bread with factory ballast. My point is, "No it's not". It's just like all boats. It's decent and it's rideable. But like all boats, it requires extra sacs to get the wake to it's optimal point.

• Like 2

I love my Bu, but comparing the 2016 G to any other Bu other than the M235 is pointless when you're talking factory tanks.  It just is.  We all agree the M235 looks awesome and is probably slightly better than the G.  It's a matter of hull design yes, but also factory ballast and boat weight.  

If the G23 was the same price as a 23LSV a lot of us would be jumping ship.  :-)  That being said, it's not close in price and $ for $ Malibu has it beat.  With that I'm demoing a 22MXZ tomorrow.  To me it's a better value and with some added sacs should be a great performer.

Edited by tjklein
34 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I totally understand what you're saying. I'm just trolling.

But lets face it. There are a bunch of members no here who are constantly claiming that the G23 (Gen 1) is the best thing since sliced bread with factory ballast. My point is, "No it's not". It's just like all boats. It's decent and it's rideable. But like all boats, it requires extra sacs to get the wake to it's optimal point.

I guess if you can't believe what owners of the boat have to say, who can you believe?  It is not 'decent and rideable', it is terrific stock, so most people do not add to it.  

I started a poll for you on PlanetNautique.  It looks like so far, 12 of 18 G23 owners put less than 500 pounds of ballast on top of stock.  That is 66% with very little ballast.  This also includes owners of 2013-15, where ballast makes a bigger improvement.  When I keep repeating that 'most' people don't add supplemental ballast to the G23, this is what I am talking about.  And I am very much confident that we are polling the 1 percenters.  Average Joe on the lake is extremely pleased with the wave stock.

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/general-nautique-discussion/499803-do-you-add-extra-ballast-to-surf-your-g23

The picture above looks exactly like my wave...with zero ballast.  

I find it entertaining watching people argue about a boats "surf" wave. Coming from surfing all my life and being on my high school surf team, all these boat "surf" waves suck. Just ride it and have fun. If your wave doesn't have enough push, change your riding style and learn how to pump. Try surfing In the ocean, every wave is different, you have to adjust accordingly. So imo, having the perfect wave every single day is just going to get boring. Until a wake boat makes a head high wave that barrels, I'll continue to enjoy my tiny a22 wave.  

• Like 3

The 2016 G wave is very good with stock ballast. :shocked: OMG did I just say that? I think I just had a mild stroke, no worries I'm back now. I forgot for a second that it is a Nautique so it's meh.

No seriously, it is really good. I haven't surfed a M yet but I will say the 25 with 750 PNP is right on par with it. Just different shapes IMO so it's up to user preference on which is better. If a friend on my lake bought a G though, is surf it all day long.

I think the average G owner has been told for so long that the G doesn't need any weight. That's their selling point.  Most G owners believe it.  But, I've surfed behind a 2016 G23 with and without added ballast, guess which one was better? ............just like th BU, more is better!

8 hours ago, Capdoogie said:

I think the average G owner has been told for so long that the G doesn't need any weight. That's their selling point.  Most G owners believe it.  But, I've surfed behind a 2016 G23 with and without added ballast, guess which one was better? ............just like th BU, more is better!

I'm curious as to how much and where it was located. 

I have experimented with added ballast as well. This includes bow weight, cabin weight and weight in the rear lockers and I keep going back to the stock wave.  It is simple, fast, and awesome.  I haven't found a recipe I like better than stock. 

I have said it before. A 2014 G 23 with driver and spotter and no additional ballast was near non surfable for me. Same as a stock 23 without PNP. Im anxious to try the new 2016 G Hull and compare to my 25.  The 25 is about 500 lbs lighter dry weight if I recall and longer /larger surface are so I'll need more weight to sink to the same level as a G. 

Unless they added more weight in the 2016 G I don't see how it could be that much better ... The hull unless deeper IMO wouldn't make much difference as what one might think. To make a big wave u simply have to depress or sink a boat to a certain level..sink to a certain level and u get wave at x high.. the bigger the area u sink the bigger longer the wave.. it. All comes down to how much area can u sink or how much u can displace and how deep to get that return on the wave.

I'm not sure if the G I saw out yesterday was a 2016 or not.. the riders were semi Prof wakeboarders and surfers.. when they were surfing either they were purposefully riding close to the boat all the time or they could not get that far away from the boat looking over when we were both running parallel together I was three times further their back then they were. Granted I'm in a 25 though. But the 25 and m235 and mx24 are the boats to compare to a G. A 23lsv is not comparable to the G23 maybe the G21. When looking at boat size and weight. All I can say is our lake is ALL nautiques and all G's. Our rider's surf further back than all the G's,but can't say if any are 2016 or not.

I do love their interior and walkthrough but the price i nuts for what ya get and the dealer on our lake here is high.s oits a no go. I dont know what the G slamed would be like but proably great what isnt great slamed? 

I bought my pev2013 23 over the 2014 G 23 for the whole reason o needig no mormore balast but it DID!  i saved $50k and was going to have to add pnp regardless as the 2014 G stock was not surfable with 2 ppl inthe boat. So at the time saved 50k comparing two used boats.. i sill love the G.. although i like th more traditional boat shape and look of my new 25 IMO

Edited by The Hulk

I'm no engineer of hydrodynamics but my understanding is the new hull was designed to work specifically with NSS.  The original G hull was designed before NSS was developed.  Having surfed and wakeboarded both a 2015 and 2016 G23 I can tell you the difference is night and day.  The boat is also several hundred pounds heavier.  I can't explain it other than that.  

@ahopkinsTXisurfed the G23 right after he had your 25 LSV and I believe his assessment was the waves are very comparable.  He preferred the length of the 25 LSV but also commented on how firm/dense the G wave is.  That is also one thing I like about it. 

There are several forum members who came over that day and every one of them loved the wave. So is it the best wave out there bone stock?  Not sure.  Don't really care.  All I can tell you is that the stock wave is great.  

I'm not sure how else to explain it buddy!  If you want, come over and see for yourself!!!

Edited by bamaboy
Just now, bamaboy said:

I'm no engineer of hydrodynamics but my understanding is the new hull was designed to work specifically with NSS.  The original G hull was designed before NSS was developed.  Having surfed and wakeboarded both a 2015 and 2016 G23 I can tell you the difference is night and day.  The boat is also several hundred pounds heavier.  I can't explain it other than that.  

@ahopkinsTXisurfed the G23 right after he had your 25 LSV and I believe his assessment was the waves are very comparable.  He preferred the length of the 25 LSV but also commented on how firm/dense the G wave is.  That is also one thing I like about it. 

There are several forum members who came over that day and every one of them loved the wave. So is it the best wave out there bone stock?  Not sure.  Don't really care.  All I can tell you is that the stock wave is great.  

That's pretty much it. I liked what I'm going to call the wide real estate of the 25. The G was very firm, maybe a bit more but hard to tell without literally riding them back to back. But I did feel the G wave was kinda narrow and more of a "line" off the back of the boat other then having a wider area to surf. Not saying that's a bad thing, just different. Gues that's where the "preference" comes in. I did have to adjust my riding style a bit to the G bit again, absolutely nothing bad. I think both were comparable in length. I surfed the 25 with lots of variable people and weight but also surfed it fairly close to stock. It's very vey good all the time. Both are very good and like I said I'd have zero complaints about "having" to surf a G all the time :lol:. I hope some of that makes sense to someone lol.