Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 24mxz demo report

Capdoogie

A 21 ft centurion may have almost 5k in ballast but the wave still isn't as nice as a G21. While the g21 only has 2800. So centurions strategy in making a surfing machine, is to just max it out from the factory with ballast. With no special hull designs, just deep. Even there surf system is just a blank trim tab, no fancy angles or water deflector like tige, or MB. 

On 9/4/2016 at 1:21 PM, wakesonthesnake said:

One of the reasons they do not have all of the stock ballast potential has to have some to do with the Coast Guard plaque.  

So 2017's are rated by the Coast Guard?  If so that's new!  Years past have just had NMMA plates.  NMMA is an industry group, not legally mandated.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DarkSide said:

CENTURION!  Very much surf specific.  They do still have PNP but they offer 5100 pounds of ballast from the factory, in a 21'er.  I have heard the new 24 that is coming may be over 6000 pounds of factory tank!  With vast majority ram fill, so 45 second fill time!

Wife surfed and I witnessed her surf a 2013-14 vintage centurion at Surfest 2015 with a legitimate shoulder high wave to a 5'3" person, it looked like the face of an off shore wave about to break , insane.  Slight list only

And nautique group just bought centurion I heard, so imagine what's coming in the g wave

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV
39 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

So 2017's are rated by the Coast Guard?  If so that's new!  Years past have just had NMMA plates.  NMMA is an industry group, not legally mandated.

This is what I was trying to come up with the other day!

55 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I was under the impression they were overseen by Coast Guard for their standards and were a requirement, but I am not a boat builder. 

Edited by wakesonthesnake
29 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Wife surfed and I witnessed her surf a 2013-14 vintage centurion at Surfest 2015 with a legitimate shoulder high wave to a 5'3" person, it looked like the face of an off shore wave about to break , insane.  Slight list only

And nautique group just bought centurion I heard, so imagine what's coming in the g wave

The acquisition happened over a year ago, last June if memory serves me correct.  Centurion has built a heck of a team, great boats, but they are getting expensive too!  Not the same fit and finish as a Malibu or Nautique though.

• Like 1

Was always under the assumption that had to do with the boat size and the amount of weight that would sink a certain boat size to where the freeboard is at a certain level above waterline after a certain point is where they determine the Max weight capacity in some formula. this why the higher the side walls the higher the weight capacities. not sure how true that is or not but its what i was told yrs ago.

on another note which one of these wake boat companies is going to start making the bows HIGHER rather than curving downward to catch all those rollers?  supra had to be the worst a few years back.. unloaded the nose was about ready to dig in.. since the day if boats all ocean bound wave Rollin boats have higher bows and sides to take on rollers. and if it looks bad why not throw some splash guards on some actuators to flip up and help take on rollers with a slammed boat.

Edited by The Hulk
On 9/4/2016 at 0:06 PM, Capdoogie said:

Yeah! I hear ya.   Why doesn't any boat manufacture have all the lockers that are now storage or mostly all, have fillable hard tanks with only the supercharged motor to pull it.  These boats should have 4000 plus lbs of stock hard tanks.  This is not two years ago.  Everyone surfs now!   

And don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise. G23 MC CENTURION. if you want a great wave you have to use xtra ballast. Period!

I will fool you.  I think my wave is great with just stock ballast.  I am not the 1% that Darkside is, but I understand all about it.  I can tell you that the G23 stock is a lot better than the 23 LSV stock wave that Darkside posted a picture of.    The simple fact is that most G23 owners do not put extra ballast in their boats for surfing.   

On 9/4/2016 at 0:45 PM, KentC said:

Yea I know.  That's kinda what I was getting at in my post the new boats especially the 24 MXZ and 25 LSV are getting close to what G23 and M235 would cost.  They (M235 and G23) are really the only boats ready to go right out of the box.  I know some will argue, but most people that have them will tell you that.  If I pay 150K there's no way I would be putting anything else at all in the dang boat other than gas!  

I have one and could not agree more.  

On 9/4/2016 at 1:22 PM, Capdoogie said:

And at wakesurf nats the G23 had at least a 400 to 650 lb sumo sac up front and who knows in the rear I didn't ask. So don't let anyone say the G23 is just ready to go!

This actually made me laugh.  So you want to say that the G23 is not ready to go out of the box because the best surfers in the world used extra ballast.  Makes perfect sense.    

That is like saying that the bicycle I have is not 'ready to go' because Lance Armstrong's bike has this and that and the other that make it better.   

Edited by TallRedRider
Didn't mean to sound offensive the first time 'round. Apologies...
2 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Higher bow is harder to see over.   So you can see over and get sea over or you cannot see and no sea.   Si?

dying..classic! ha

4 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Higher bow is harder to see over.   So you can see over and get sea over or you cannot see and no sea.   Si?

how about clear plexiglass! then you can see over and see under, but no sea over.

Edited by The Hulk
4 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I can tell you that the G23 stock sure puts that pathetic little 23 LSV stock wave that Darkside posted to shame.  

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  G owners hitting below the belt now  :tease1:

My wife loves the G - we'll probably look at it again when we get a new boat, but for now, we just couldn't justify the price delta between it and the 23LSV (and the local Nautique dealer is actually excellent and 20 minutes from the house vs. the "local" Malibu dealer that is 4 hours away). But for a $30-40K  price delta, the pathetic 23LSV has been solid for us thus far :)  

Edited by hethj7
3 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  G owners hitting below the belt now  :tease1:

My wife loves the G - we'll probably look at it again when when get a new boat, but for now, we just couldn't justify the price delta between it and the 23LSV (and the local Nautique dealer is actually excellent and 20 minutes from the house vs. the "local" Malibu dealer that is 4 hours away). But for a $30-40K  price delta, the pathetic 23LSV has been solid for us thus far :)  

Re-read my post....Dang prozac must have been wearing off about then;)....or the realization that winter is coming hit me.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Re-read my post....Dang prozac must have been wearing off about then;)....or the realization that winter is coming hit me.  

Now I feel obligated to edit my quote of your original....or do I?? :crazy:

I hear you though - I'm reading about winterization and winter projects as I sit tonight :(.   

Tall, if winter gets too much for you.  Grab a wetsuit and drive a couple hours south.  We will get you out..... January surfing is awesome!  A touch chilli water is low 50's air mid 70's 

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 3

Plug-n-play bags aren't the end of the world. They're mostly "set it and forget it". And usually a buyer will let their dealer install them and get them ready to go. The owner usually doesn't have to do anything. It also provides the owner with WAY more flexibility to do what they wish, rather than lock them in with a hard tank.

That being said, I know the new MXZ has larger tanks coming (And I suspect the other boats will get them too?). And they even managed to get the tanks situated so that plug-n-play bags will work with the level indicator in the tank. So it's even more seamless now.

The funny part is that everyone here is wanting bigger factory tanks, while I'm sitting here tearing out my factory tanks. The ultimate setups for these boats would probably be better found with all hard tanks removed and custom bags installed in their place... Probably would have issues with the level indicators, but you can make better use of the available space with bags (custom to match the contours and dimensions of the hull), as opposed to a bag/tank combo. And the boat will end up being lighter on the trailer and water when the ballast is empty, since you wont have the extra weight of the tanks and all the plastic trim around the tanks.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 3
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:22 PM, Capdoogie said:

And at wakesurf nats the G23 had at least a 400 to 650 lb sumo sac up front and who knows in the rear I didn't ask. So don't let anyone say the G23 is just ready to go!

Agreed , I have a good friend that just bought a 17 and he has already ordered extra sacs for his. If I pay 130k at least have the bags in it and plumbed in.

12 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Plug-n-play bags aren't the end of the world. They're mostly "set it and forget it". And usually a buyer will let their dealer install them and get them ready to go. The owner usually doesn't have to do anything. It also provides the owner with WAY more flexibility to do what they wish, rather than lock them in with a hard tank.

That being said, I know the new MXZ has larger tanks coming (And I suspect the other boats will get them too?). And they even managed to get the tanks situated so that plug-n-play bags will work with the level indicator in the tank. So it's even more seamless now.

The funny part is that everyone here is wanting bigger factory tanks, while I'm sitting here tearing out my factory tanks. The ultimate setups for these boats would probably be better found with all hard tanks removed and custom bags installed in their place... Probably would have issues with the level indicators, but you can make better use of the available space with bags (custom to match the contours and dimensions of the hull), as opposed to a bag/tank combo. And the boat will end up being lighter on the trailer and water when the ballast is empty, since you wont have the extra weight of the tanks and all the plastic trim around the tanks.

It's called a G

2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

It's called a G

I know multiple people with G23s that fill extra ballast bags. And since they don't have plug n play, it requires throwing a pump over the side. 

Too much is never enough.

• Like 3
Just now, boardjnky4 said:

I know multiple people with G23s that fill extra ballast bags. And since they don't have plug n play, it requires throwing a pump over the side. 

The only time I've experienced weak push on the g stock wave is in a very strong headwind when the boat was 4 or less including driver, im sure it gets better with extra sacs cause it sure gets freaky with 8-13

i run a slammed A20, 850 rears, 950 mushroom and wedge and always full fuel, which is like an extra heavy second center tank , so I get it, which I think says even more about what I'm saying about the G

Edited by granddaddy55
10 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

One question , what was that G wave like when slammed with people and stock sacs when you rode or surfed it.  was our sac slammed axis wave better or was that slammed g wave better??, i think the G hull displacement when sunk is a real difference maker, and under those conditions , that wave had 0 flaws 

8 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

One question , what was that G wave like when slammed with people and stock sacs when you rode or surfed it.  was our sac slammed axis wave better or was that slammed g wave better??, i think the G hull displacement when sunk is a real difference maker, and under those conditions , that wave had 0 flaws 

You can't compare a G23 to an Axis A20 (which is also what I have). Wakeboarding or Wakesurfing, it's just not a fair comparison.

I find the wakeboard wake is firmer than Malibu wakes. I've wakeboarded behind an A24 that is comparable in size (with A LOT of ballast). 25LSV (full stock + 2 clicks wedge + ~12 people), as far as I remember, was bigger than the G23.

• Like 1