Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tsunami Wake Gate (Suction - $159

sidekicknicholas

Got my gate last night.  If anyone has experience with how printed 3d materials feel, that is exactly what it is.  Hulk was right, their pictures are renderings, the real thing looks just like it except the pins for the face / fin are not as cool as the pics, just normal push pins.  I took some pics, but when I separated the two pieces I dropped the fin on my garage from about 2 feet & the weakest part of the fin / face where it connects to the lower unit broke.  When the two pieces are attached it is strong & will hold up fine but separated it is thin, I recommend keeping them together if you get one.  Deff not as sturdy as the fabricated HDPE but looks way better.  I emailed Tsunami & within minutes he apologized, said he thinks there was a deficiency in the material mix (no idea how 3d materials work) cause another broke in shipping, said he mixed a new batch & is printing replacements, will have another in a few days.  So far the company is great to deal with & the product looks great.  Doubt I will have my fin by Sunday morning to test out but I am going to try & rig the broken one to get me by so I can the wave.  I will post up the pics I took later

3 hours ago, racer808 said:

Got my gate last night.  If anyone has experience with how printed 3d materials feel, that is exactly what it is.  Hulk was right, their pictures are renderings, the real thing looks just like it except the pins for the face / fin are not as cool as the pics, just normal push pins.  I took some pics, but when I separated the two pieces I dropped the fin on my garage from about 2 feet & the weakest part of the fin / face where it connects to the lower unit broke.  When the two pieces are attached it is strong & will hold up fine but separated it is thin, I recommend keeping them together if you get one.  Deff not as sturdy as the fabricated HDPE but looks way better.  I emailed Tsunami & within minutes he apologized, said he thinks there was a deficiency in the material mix (no idea how 3d materials work) cause another broke in shipping, said he mixed a new batch & is printing replacements, will have another in a few days.  So far the company is great to deal with & the product looks great.  Doubt I will have my fin by Sunday morning to test out but I am going to try & rig the broken one to get me by so I can the wave.  I will post up the pics I took later

Crazy glue and be back into service

So here's some pics:

20160914_152825_zpsw3gx7arw.jpg

20160914_152756_zpsemqso98i.jpg

20160914_152802_zpsdklpxrxq.jpg

and here's where I broke it

20160914_152934_zps9mgwtjmp.jpg

Just now, racer808 said:

So here's some pics:

20160914_152825_zpsw3gx7arw.jpg

20160914_152756_zpsemqso98i.jpg

20160914_152802_zpsdklpxrxq.jpg

and here's where I broke it

20160914_152934_zps9mgwtjmp.jpg

I was going to show it set up like how'd you use it but I broke it before I got to that part.  Should have my new face in a day or two.  Company has been great with fast response & shipping

Can't wait to hear how it works!  Please post some wave pics.  :) 

Question: Do you have to remove the faceplate to secure the suction cup under it?  

Edited by MJR63
1 hour ago, MJR63 said:

Can't wait to hear how it works!  Please post some wave pics.  :) 

Question: Do you have to remove the faceplate to secure the suction cup under it?  

Here is their Instragram page. Look at the 6th pic. It a video that shows how it's put on. 

https://www.instagram.com/tsunamiwakes/

10 hours ago, MJR63 said:

Thanks!  Looks pretty easy to install.....Interested to hear from Racer on how it performs.

Would've told you today but my daughter and her wonderful planning skills made us aware last night she has her powder puff football game this morning for home coming week.  Not sure I'm gonna get back out this season with my wife's parents ruining errr visiting next weekend.  

PS I epoxied that broken piece and shockingly it is good as new especially once the two units are clamped back together

Edited by racer808

Just ordered mine today.  Got the full stainless steel version.  I plan to test it out before the end of the season and will report back.  Order soon before the prices go up to $250 at the beginning of next year!

9 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

We installed a Tsunamiwave shaper on a 2009 LSV the other night. 1200 lbs of stock ballast, plus two 750s like 1/2 full in the back.

IMG_20160915_174218592_zpswcfgw44q.jpg

IMG_20160915_175142399_zpsmravfezd.jpg

I think we need some weight up from to clean it up.

Yeah, your boat loves bow weight!  We used to run 750 in my VLX bow.  I still haven't gotten to play with mine!  School messing up my fall riding time with sports, home coming, wife parents coming this weekend.  I think I am going to force the issue & make them go with us Sunday morning so I can get possibly the last ride of the year in

On 9/19/2016 at 3:14 PM, MJR63 said:

Just ordered mine today.  Got the full stainless steel version.  I plan to test it out before the end of the season and will report back.  Order soon before the prices go up to $250 at the beginning of next year!

Tsunamiwakes is top notch.  I got my new fin & he redesigned it.  It's beefier, thicker has better support in the area where mine broke.  Feels near indestructible now.  He also added a third hole for adjusting the fin so you have 3 positions to play with now.  This is the suck gate everyone been looking for & Tom is great to deal with.     

20160921_152417_zpskmgidxb2.jpg

20160921_152638_zps41hpwufc.jpg

20160921_152409_zpsx10aqvtp.jpg

20160921_152700_zps6enxoybv.jpg

Edited by racer808
  • Like 3
36 minutes ago, racer808 said:

Tsunamiwakes is top notch.  I got my new fin & he redesigned it.  It's beefier, thicker has better support in the area where mine broke.  Feels near indestructible now.  He also added a third hole for adjusting the fin so you have 3 positions to play with now.  This is the suck gate everyone been looking for & Tom is great to deal with.     

20160921_152417_zpskmgidxb2.jpg

20160921_152638_zps41hpwufc.jpg

20160921_152409_zpsx10aqvtp.jpg

20160921_152700_zps6enxoybv.jpg

Wow! That looks fantastic.  I spoke with Jay and he told me they redesigned the fin and I would be getting the new model.  Can't wait to get it and try it out.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:38 PM, Bill_AirJunky said:

We installed a Tsunamiwave shaper on a 2009 LSV the other night. 1200 lbs of stock ballast, plus two 750s like 1/2 full in the back.

I think we need some weight up from to clean it up.

My suck-gate works best mounted as far back and as low as possible.

• Like 1

Would this work with my 98 Sunsetter LX? Almost looks like it has to be mounted above the step in the hull, which seems like it would take away some of the effectiveness.

9 hours ago, H2oskiphil said:

Would this work with my 98 Sunsetter LX? Almost looks like it has to be mounted above the step in the hull, which seems like it would take away some of the effectiveness.

Should work on all boats depends on hull shape around mounting area though.  On my boat it is well below the water to get it on a flat section so it stays and works great

I tried a similar suck gate made by 95echelon on my Echelon and I had to put it above the step in the hull, and because it was so high it threw a huge 4' spray.  Made a nice wake, but looked ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2016 at 8:02 PM, MJR63 said:

Wow! That looks fantastic.  I spoke with Jay and he told me they redesigned the fin and I would be getting the new model.  Can't wait to get it and try it out.

Did you get to try yours out?  I missed every last good day to get out on the water, boats put away now :( 

On October 10, 2016 at 1:25 PM, racer808 said:

Did you get to try yours out?  I missed every last good day to get out on the water, boats put away now :( 

I got it but have not been out with it yet....working on adding 3 reversible pumps, new rear bags and a bow hard tank.  Hoping to get it all done before the lake freezes up!  Looking forward to trying it out...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who bought this. Tried it on my 2008 VLX side by side with my mission boat gear delta. This thing for the money is hands down the best value. I swear it threw a bigger wave than the delta too. Build quality on the delta is better, but this thing works great. only downfall is it doesnt float.

• Like 2
On October 24, 2016 at 3:53 PM, rjonesy said:

So no one has tried this thing? It looks great, but curious how it runs. Also, what are the dimensions of the front plate/deflector?

Now you gone done made me mad.  I could've been out every weekend for the last month if I didn't winterize.  Stupid Colorado having summer till November this year!!!!!  And I missed it,.....sad racer

On October 25, 2016 at 3:14 PM, CLTMalibu08 said:

I have a friend who bought this. Tried it on my 2008 VLX side by side with my mission boat gear delta. This thing for the money is hands down the best value. I swear it threw a bigger wave than the delta too. Build quality on the delta is better, but this thing works great. only downfall is it doesnt float.

I plan to tie my dogs life jacket to it, should work