Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Making the switch to inboard

scorban

Just for reference if you have a vertical style lift you might fare better than you think. I bought a used lift set up for a pontoon and if it helps this is what I had to do:

1. Rear leg extensions to level the canopy (more room to fit the tower) = 120 bucks
  2. Drilled holes as low as possible in the canopy to raise it as high as it could possibly go = free
  3. Loading guides on the sides = 369
  4. Inboard lift kit for the bunks as mentioned by @oldjeep = 129

That is it. I spent around 650 and I can lift the boat out of the water with the tower up... When i first got the lift I got annoyed with putting the tower up and down.

You may not need a new lift.

Edit: got all my parts from boatliftanddock.com in michigan. You can stop for parts while you drive home!

Edited by 95echelon
  • 2 weeks later...

Over the labor day weekend, I did some cruising around the lake talking to the few others on the lake with various Malibu boats to do even some more research. As part of my "research", an owner of an 01 SLXi offered to pull me to get a feel for what the wake was like. At ~30 MPH (was choppy when we went), I was surprised at how large the wake was. It was much different in shape than what I'm used to with the i/o (lower slope, and narrower), but still larger than I figured it would be with just 2 people in the boat. Other than that boat, the only other inboard I've been behind recently was a 2016 ProStar, and it didn't seem to have near the bump. That being said, I still felt like I carried more momentum across the wake than with the i/o. I unfortunately didn't think about checking out the fuel level in the boat until I was back home.

For those SLXi owners, does the wake flatten out quite a bit between 30 and 34 mph? Does the wake I experienced seem normal for that boat, or could there been something unique with that boat?

*disclaimer - I realize that it's nearly impossible to accurately explain a boat's wake with words, so bear with my description and let me know if there's details I can add :cheers:

On August 28, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Nitrousbird said:

If you are just free sking, get a 2001 Sunsetter VLX or 2002-2004 Sunscape 21 LSV (they are the same boat) - SV23 on a diamond hull.  You can even run the course with them.  Will be a lot better than you think it will be for slalom, way more room than a DD and you can more easily do other watersports with it.

This is great advice. The VLX of that era has a fantastic ski wake with the diamond hull and gives you the interior space of a V drive. I used one often in the course! 

@scorban:  Relative to your wake comments, particularly comparing to the '16 Prostar, apples and oranges comparison similar to comparing an '01 BMW 328i (SSLX) to a '16 Corvette ZO6 (PS).  They are two very different boats, each considered best or near best in class, with the '16 Prostar totally designed and targeted to provide a great ski wake whereas the SSLX is geared to accommodate hauling people around, navigating rougher water along with providing a wake for advanced recreational skiing (including running the slalom course).  If you want a comparable wake to the PS, the TXI would be your boat and it not only has comparable wakes to the PS, it is also configured a bit more accommodating to the family or more general use boater.  If you were to compare the SSLX to comparable options from MC or CC, you would find the Malibu wake to be much nicer in comparison, what line length did you test when behind the SSLX, that makes a difference in wake feel & bump level.

I understand that my comparison is apples and oranges, but the ProStar is the only other thing I can compare it to, other than our I/O. From posts I've read on here and BOS, it sounds like many consider the wake of the SSLXi nearly as good at the RLXi of the same era, esp with few people and low fuel. My question here was just trying to get a feel if I was expecting too much from the older SSLXi/RLXi, which it sounds like I may be. While the wake was larger than I thought, I still felt  less of a jolt when crossing it, due to the shallower slope of the wake.

I was skiing at 15 off.

@scorban:  Well, that then becomes your dream target, sometimes a bummer to 'taste' the best, like the prom queen, then have to come back to reality, LOL.  Just as a comment, the now 'big 4' (TXI, SN200, Prostar, Carbon Pro) all made a decent step forward or better in wake softness particularly at longer line lengths, 22' off and longer so a tough comparison to measure up to on these new hulls.

Considering your comparisons, I will add the following.  A direct drive ski boat, any of them, will tend to stand you up from exit of turn through wakes due to strong pull and lack of ability of the skier to pull the boat around or down in speed which is what happens in an I/O (due to tracking fins, pylon rope mount, hull design, horsepower & efficient prop).  What is probably happening is the SSLX is standing you up as you cross the wake making your ski flat thus accentuating the wake particularly in comparison to the I/O.  Once you settle in to a more robust and solid pull, you will develop a better stance across the wake and not notice the bump as much, not excusing it, just commenting on a very common effect.  The Prostar would do the same thing, but my experience behind a new Prostar is that is seems to provide me a very soft pull compared to a SN200 as an example.  You might also find out if the speed control system was being used by either vessel, that makes a difference in pull, feel, etc.  Also, so does age and stiffness of ski rope, so a true even comparison would be to use one rope/handle for the comparison (an old ski rope becomes a hard cable compared to a newish rope).

Also, 15 and 22 off tend to be the least desireable line lengths, once you master them and graduate shorter, the wakes get much flatter, speed also helps quite a bit to flatten wake.  If you think you carry a lot of momentum at 30 mph / 15' off, just wait until you get to 34 or 36 mph and 32' or shorter off, you will have a blast!  BTW welcome to the DD club.

If you are still in Mattoon, you might want to look closer to home.   About an hour away in Farmer City is The Liquid Edge.   I'm not trying to steer you away from Malibu at all, but Doug is a Mastercraft dealer.   They do get used Malibu's in stock and he could probably be on the lookout for anything you want.   He is very knowledgeable  and if you ever decide you want to ski a course also does lessons on his own private lake.

http://www.theliquidedge.com/

I live in the Chicago area and know that several people from around here, including me, head down to take lessons there.  All the used boats he is advertising right now seem to be 2015 and above ($$$).  One thing is that he just recently had newer model year boats from the big 3.  If you wanted to you could ski behind all 3 in one shot.

Fuel does make a big difference (all that weight is in the back).  My RLXI has a 36 gallon tank, when full you can tell a huge difference in the wake.  I usually have around 15-20 gallons when i push off the dock.

Choppy water and at 30 mph isn't going to help you skiing.  Woodski has some great points too about the power and possible PP with a DD vs I/O.  A SS is a bigger boat than a "tournament" boat, but like mentioned it is a great boat for a family ski boat.

@Woodski Good points. Thanks for reminding me that it's more than just the smaller wake I'm looking at a DD ski boat for :). Since there were quite a few boats out when I got the chance to ski behind the SSLXi (beggars can't be choosers), I spent some time behind the boat going back and forth across the wake very slowly just to get a feel for it while we were cutting through chop. That's honestly when I noticed it being larger than I thought it would. When I had good water and was skiing hard, it felt good. That being said, I'm used to crossing the wake on an i/o right now, so I may be used to the bump. 

@CedarLakeSkier I've been a customer of Doug's for quite a while now, buying skis and gear and taking lessons. He's top notch, and I've already talked to him about what I'm looking for in a boat. He recommended the Maristar V drives, as the "family" style open bow Mastercraft's of the era (209) don't have a very good reputation. 

From what I've read, starting in 07 the Response got a new hull, and inherited a bit more freeboard. I understand that it's a smaller boat, but I'm struggling with how at the same beam and 1' 2" shorter, the RLXi can be much different on interior space than the SSLXi. Reason I ask is that I stumbled across this on craigslist the other day. http://greenbay.craigslist.org/boa/5754792634.html

@scorban:  Just my .02 cents worth, but if you are leaning towards serious slalom skiing and have the option for an LXI, either Gen 1 or Gen2, I would lean that way.  Not knocking the SSLX but the LXI was the 3 event approved boat in the Malibu lineup and is an excellent slalom machine with very soft wakes.  My suggestion is try before you buy.  I noted the two LXI versions, the Gen 1 is generally considered a better barefoot option compared to the Gen 2 if that is something on the radar.

On August 28, 2016 at 7:35 AM, scorban said:

A quick intro, as this is my first post. I was raised spending weekends at our family's lake place at Lake Mattoon in central IL, and doing all sorts of various towed sports behind the boat growing up. During college, I gave up tubing, etc and just skied. Over the past few years, I've been skiing more and more, and now have a handful of family members/friends slalom skiing as well. A normal weekend now involves getting up at 600 to take advantage of the glass on the lake for the morning.

After skiing for years with various I/O's my family has had, we're looking to make the move to an inboard. Since we're replacing the "family" boat, I need to stick to something that's got a bit of room for some rides around the lake. The boat gets used for ~75% free skiing (no plans for the course at this point, but that may change...) and 25% family rides. All of the research I've been doing keeps pointing me to a 99-04 Sunsetter LXI as a good candidate (ideally 02-04 since I'm replacing an 08 Crownline). I'd also consider a Response LXI, but the lower freeboard and open bow makes me a bit reluctant so if someone else takes it out and finds a big roller.  I've done quite a bit of looking around, and have come across a few things that have generated some questions.

I've read here that the 02 Sunsetter LX is on the diamond hull, but a few inches shorter than the LXI. Does anyone have experience skiing behind one of these, and is the wake comparable to the LXI? I plan to test ski anything I'd buy, but with a 6 hr drive to Michigan to look at it, I thought I'd get a feel from here first. 

Also, through the various used channels I've found an 03 SSLXI at Skiers Point in MI with a tower, ballast, tower speakers, etc for $23k (seems a bit high?). None of those extras interest me at all, and I can't get the boat lifted in our lift with a tower anyway. Is there a decent used market for these items to sell them off and help make up for the higher boat price? While looking at their website, I also saw they had an 08 response lxi for just $3k more. While that's above my price target, that seems almost too good to be true for that boat. Thoughts?

Stephen

Sunsetter or Wakesetter(rarer) LXi, same hull skis almost as well as my 2001 response. My buddy just bought a 2003 Wakesetter LXi and all of us that ski behind it are impressed with its wakes and versatility as it has the wedge and front ballast. Probably the best all around, do anything boat out there. Not sure why Malibu stopped making them. Still as good or better than anything else out there today. 

Edited by Dacon62
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:23 PM, scorban said:

@Woodski Good points. Thanks for reminding me that it's more than just the smaller wake I'm looking at a DD ski boat for :). Since there were quite a few boats out when I got the chance to ski behind the SSLXi (beggars can't be choosers), I spent some time behind the boat going back and forth across the wake very slowly just to get a feel for it while we were cutting through chop. That's honestly when I noticed it being larger than I thought it would. When I had good water and was skiing hard, it felt good. That being said, I'm used to crossing the wake on an i/o right now, so I may be used to the bump. 

@CedarLakeSkier I've been a customer of Doug's for quite a while now, buying skis and gear and taking lessons. He's top notch, and I've already talked to him about what I'm looking for in a boat. He recommended the Maristar V drives, as the "family" style open bow Mastercraft's of the era (209) don't have a very good reputation. 

From what I've read, starting in 07 the Response got a new hull, and inherited a bit more freeboard. I understand that it's a smaller boat, but I'm struggling with how at the same beam and 1' 2" shorter, the RLXi can be much different on interior space than the SSLXi. Reason I ask is that I stumbled across this on craigslist the other day. http://greenbay.craigslist.org/boa/5754792634.html

See.. Doug knows his stuff.  I've skied behind a 209 from that ERA several times.  It wasn't a huge "hump" but something about the troughs on either side of the hump in the middle.  They were narrow and very deep.  not a good experience.