Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

question for all you big stereo people??

Ottomatic

27 minutes ago, MLA said:

Based on that, you've got a woofer bridged on a 2 chnl amp that might be wired at too low of an impedance. Wired in parallel you would have a 2 ohm load bridged. Thats too low for the amp. Wired in series, youve got an 8 ohm load. Thats safe, but only half the wattage. You need to swap one or the other. The woofer would be the easier to swap, however, that doesnt help a voltage issue with a 1K watt rms class-a/b bridged with both chnls @ 2 ohm. So, you likely need to change amps to something like the T1000-1bdCP. Its a class-d and 1000W rms @ 2 ohm, which matches the woofer.

Good catch, if in fact the dual 4-ohm VCs are wired in parallel and then bridged. Whether it's the direct cause or not for the present shut-down, that would eventually become a thermal problem. Bridged into a 2-ohm load, the power supply has long since hit the brick wall. So the power loss bridged into a seriesed and final 8-ohm load would not be that substantial. I would change that right away. 

4 hours ago, Ottomatic said:

So I was reading Rockfords website, it's says this amp bridge to 1000 rms is at 4ohms and my sub is a 4 ohm sub. What am I missing??

Based on the model #s you stated your subwoofer has two 4-ohm voice coils which must be reduced to a single set of terminals via series or parallel. Series would result in an 8-ohm load. Parallel would result in a 2-ohm load. Your amplifier is stable into a load no lower than 2-ohms stereo or 4-ohms bridged (the same load). Bridging into a lower 2-ohm load isn't acceptable. The two voice coils must be seriesed for an 8-ohm load. This may be wired correctly as is, but given your issues it is worth verifying. 

Wired correctly, the net result will be an available 600 watts driving a subwoofer rated to handle 800 watts. This is a good scenario. Your amplifier will run more efficiently, cooler, and with some reserves.     

H & H Audio has and does work on new Malibu's...  They didn't actually do the install on my 2015, (I did my own and bought everything from them) but my friend ordered his 2015 factory delete and they put an incredible systems in his.

• 1 month later...

Late to the party but if the amp is bridged, it may only be running to one voice coil. Thus a 4 ohm load. Or the amp may be runnining stereo each channel to a voice coil. Plain battery voltage should be 12.6 and engine running should put 13.8 to the battery terminals. Class ab amp of that size draws big power so if alt to bat wire is undersized, or alt is undersized along with ground  wires, that will limit current. You also have to remember the length of ground wires need to be accounted for since there is not a metal car body to ground to with that kind of power. If the battery is 20 feet away from the amp, the feeding wires to it end up being 40 feet not 20 as in the case of car audio. That may require much bigger power and ground wire. A class D amp would be more effecient though but i dont have experience with those so cant say for sure what power it would need. If the display starts acting nuts only after playing several songs, then the alternator is not keeping up and you will discharge the battery while running. 

I forgot to mention, hiss with the volume down, if its reall hiss, would be amp gains set too high. You would hear it with the engine off as well as it running. 

Edited by williemon