Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to upgrade my ski

Malibudude

Okay another question the current setup by the dealer has the front boot in the middle of the screw cavity area. Should I move the boots forward or more neutral?

Move both boots back on the ski one hole.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• WakeGirl

• Mike00LXI

• NorCaliBu

Okay another question the current setup by the dealer has the front boot in the middle of the screw cavity area. Should I move the boots forward or more neutral?
Move both boots back on the ski one hole.
I would agree if he had Approach boots because they are canted so far forward. I liked the ski with the Animals in the middle (and even one hole in front of center) but with the Approaches I have them one hole back of center (Thanks SkiSix for figuring that out at the clinic). :)
I'd leave em in the middle for the first couple sets
This is what I would do...but what do I know? Crazy.gif

Okay I had my first crack at my new S8. Couple of things I noticed that I was getting too much spray signaling the boots needed to be moved forward. Secondly the wing really slowed me in the corners to the point I almost stopped. So I need to get these things changed and hit it again. This ski is kick ^%$ and it just wants to carve it up (just had to say that Mike). I’m looking forward to getting a significant amount of time on it to dial it in and get comfortable w/ it before our rent-a-lake event. I also found myself wanting to bump up the mph to 33, of course that would be humbling in the course....

Okay I had my first crack at my new S8. Couple of things I noticed that I was getting too much spray signaling the boots needed to be moved forward. Secondly the wing really slowed me in the corners to the point I almost stopped. So I need to get these things changed and hit it again. This ski is kick ^%$ and it just wants to carve it up (just had to say that Mike). I’m looking forward to getting a significant amount of time on it to dial it in and get comfortable w/ it before our rent-a-lake event. I also found myself wanting to bump up the mph to 33, of course that would be humbling in the course....

What? spray in the face means the water is breaking too far forward and that you aren't making any edge change. I told you before, move the boots back before the crack at your new ski is in you head! Take the wing off and ride it.

How does it feel to finally be weened off of double skis?

What? spray in the face means the water is breaking too far forward and that you aren't making any edge change. I told you before, move the boots back before the crack at your new ski is in you head! Take the wing off and ride it.

I'm definately going to take the wing off and moving the boots back. I'll re-test and report back.

werd!

wings are junk IMO until you have hit the wall without it!!!! you can't learn how to decelerate without taking the wing off. I've been saying this for years!!!!! as have many others...

werd!

wings are junk IMO until you have hit the wall without it!!!! you can't learn how to decelerate without taking the wing off. I've been saying this for years!!!!! as have many others...

I run into 32 off without the wing on my ski and the guy at D3 said he runs into 39 off without one on his ski.

Remove the wing, then re try the ski. Be sure to ski hips up and strong across the wakes with bent knees and ankles. I wouldn't move the bindings back just yet, and I definitely would NOT move them forward. The sweet spot on the S8/Monza design is really best for middle hole on back. I've been on this design for 2 years now and always leave my bindings in the middle. Haven't gone OTF yet.

Glad you're enjoying it Justin! I'm sure you'll be ready to carve it up at the rentalake. Might even have to bum a ride off you while we're there... Crazy.gif

Great information guys!! Mike sure take a spin on it, no it's not forsale either..lol
M-dude - Your new avatar seems to be promoting wakeboarding. What gives? Dontknow.gif
Great information guys!! Mike sure take a spin on it, no it's not forsale either..lol
M-dude - Your new avatar seems to be promoting wakeboarding. What gives? Dontknow.gif

I'm helping a brotha out, it's not mine nor am I in support of it. Innocent.gif

Doesn't seem to be promoting wakeboarding to me. Looks like he is equating wakeboarding with being a chick. So, in essence, if you wakeboard, you are a girl

A little late coming into this. I don't want to throw cold water on anybody, good luck with your purchase, this is only something you all should know. I live near Ski-masters, would never buy anything from them, would refuse a freebie from them. Worst company ever to deal with. Go with Peformance ski and surf in Orlando Fl. Yeah it's 3000 miles from me, but I go there once a year anyway. I broke my new approach binding this year, called them up, two days later had the fix. Had a different experience with Ski-masters, they told me to deal with the manufacture, which the manufacture could take care of me if I went through the dealer. End result Ski-masters screwed me over Mad.gif

O'brien Sixam 1.2 69" Approach bindings- awesome ski

Waiting for new Sixam Yahoo.gif

Is there a spot for dealer complaints and or discussions (equipment, boats, stuff)?

A little late coming into this. I don't want to throw cold water on anybody, good luck with your purchase, this is only something you all should know. I live near Ski-masters, would never buy anything from them, would refuse a freebie from them. Worst company ever to deal with. Go with Peformance ski and surf in Orlando Fl. Yeah it's 3000 miles from me, but I go there once a year anyway. I broke my new approach binding this year, called them up, two days later had the fix. Had a different experience with Ski-masters, they told me to deal with the manufacture, which the manufacture could take care of me if I went through the dealer. End result Ski-masters screwed me over Mad.gif

Is there a spot for dealer complaints and or discussions (equipment, boats, stuff)?

We don't currently have a place for that, mainly because we haven't seen too much of a demand for it.

Doesn't seem to be promoting wakeboarding to me. Looks like he is equating wakeboarding with being a chick. So, in essence, if you wakeboard, you are a girl
ROFL.gif Oh man, here we go again. ROFL.gif

I understand you had an issue w/ them however, I've only had a positive experience w/ them during my research for a new ski. SM and Wiley's provided me w/ the most information and offered excellent customer service. I'm not inidcating you're not justified in your complaint just we're not always privy to the entire situation and as WG commented the lack of need to date. I did check w/ Performance ski on the same ski but price was much more and most importantly I needed the ski for the weekend and SM was closer and less shipping costs.

Well here’s an update on my S8.

I got off work early, which I never do to hit the lake at decent time since I work 50 miles from home. I started home and wouldn’t you know it an accident bogged down the already congested freeway on the top of town. Furthermore, not to make matters more interesting my commuter sardine box was on empty and the gas light was on already at the halfway mark from home. So I enter the gas station near my house and kept thinking of all the things I need to work on, love the 10.5 gas tank, and boom I was done. As I was walking back to get in I noticed the guy in front of me in an old Ford Ranchero (60’s) and gas was literally pouring out of hit gas cap down on to the exhaust pipe. So I walked up to him and let him know about the situation and his reply oh well. I then asked hey do you mind if I leave first as nothing was going to stop me from getting some more time on my new ski. He graciously said no problem and I vacated that area quickly.

Okay loaded up and heading to the lake w/ a great bud from the Crew, Wife and my boy. 7 min later we are at the launch ramp and instantly knew this was a going to be an epic night very few trailers in the parking lot and the middle of the lake was smooth, as most know around here, never happens on Folsom.

Of course I was tramping at the bit to hit the water first and so I went. I removed the wing and left the boots in the same position more or less neutral based upon all the comments I received after my first post. I can honestly say I enjoyed those couple of runs more than I’ve had in the past few years and there is something magical about cutting up the glass while the moon was coming over the hills. Okay that was to tame I was freakn’ having the time of my life last night and truly felt some progression taking place. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif The spray that I had reported in the first run was no longer present and the wake crossings much easier and more controlled. I hooked the ski a few times, man this thing wants to crank ya at times, but pulled them out. On my first run I slid out as I was tail riding way too much into the port side turn but quickly changed that with more front foot pressure which in turn provides a greater sense of control and ability to keep the ski on edge more than before. I found that 32.5 mph was the perfect speed up from 31 after my first run. I ran through all the things I needed to remember o concentrate on to improve upon and I lasted longer on each time on the ski then I ever did on my 67”.