Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordered new Raptor today

surfdude

I ordered mine with no graphics, no sunroof, 801a package and torsen front end. No tech package. Has everything I needed, except the power fold mirrors. Got it at msrp for 59900$

4 hours ago, surfdude said:

Might not be quite big enough to tow a 25 LSV, unless your only going short distance.

My truck search started with me looking for a tow rig for the 25.  But it has changed now... 

I'm really shopping for a new daily driver that is fun, can "eat up" the crappy roads here, and can handle trips to Home Depot. 

Since there are 6 in my family, I'm afraid we're stuck with the wife's Yukon Denali as the family tow rig. Other than the recent trip to TN (longest I've ever towed a boat) or the 4 hour trip we're making next month to Lake Ouachita, we won't be going far. Our home lake is 1 mile from my storage unit. 

Edit... Ford dealer called me just now with "good news."  They will sell me that white Raptor at only $4k over MSRP. I just laughed and told them to call me when their ship returns to planet earth. 

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, IXFE said:

Update... after a day of searching and calling around, it turns out $4k over is about as good as I can do.  :cry:

Better than what I can do around here.  I gave up thinking my X-plan will do anything to help get it at or slightly below MSRP.  Next step is to try to bundle it with the 2018 Expedition I'm getting for my wife when they come out in fall.

1 hour ago, DAI said:

Better than what I can do around here.  I gave up thinking my X-plan will do anything to help get it at or slightly below MSRP.  Next step is to try to bundle it with the 2018 Expedition I'm getting for my wife when they come out in fall.

That would be quite a day at the Ford dealer!!

1 hour ago, DAI said:

Raptor is a specialty vehicle, no incentives or plan deals allowed. They don't qualify...

1 minute ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Good day for dealer if you ask me..... just sayin...??‍♂️

That's the strategy, and hope they will feel the same way and be willing to deal a little on it.

1 minute ago, DAI said:

That's the strategy, and hope they will feel the same way and be willing to deal a little on it.

Shame you don't live closer to Birmingham Al....I would take care of you...

On 6/10/2017 at 7:05 AM, ConnollyCrew said:

Shame you don't live closer to Birmingham Al....I would take care of you...

Thank you, that would be a little bit of a drive.  We'll see come fall or whenever they start taking orders for the new Expedition and see what my guy will do for me.

Edited by DAI
Edit
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 11:27 AM, DAI said:

@surfdude

Did you do this ---> http://www.raptorassault.com/en/

A guy I know in ME just bought a Raptor and did this. He said it was a blast, really emphasizes what the Raptor's capabilities are. He got his at MSRP btw. He does off road his, not sure I could do that with that expensive of a truck.

9 hours ago, Falko said:

He does off road his, not sure I could do that with that expensive of a truck.

Isn't that what they are all about?  I would find it silly if one had a raptor and never used it off road. Kinda like having a mall crawler jeep or a civic with a 5.0 badge on it. 

Need something like this for when it's parked. 

New Raptor update. It's in the shop with transmission problems again! Luckily I borrowed my dads f150 to pull the boat this week!

1 hour ago, surfdude said:

New Raptor update. It's in the shop with transmission problems again! Luckily I borrowed my dads f150 to pull the boat this week!

That sucks . . . Sorry to hear.  Hopefully a quick fix and back on the road.

13 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Isn't that what they are all about?  I would find it silly if one had a raptor and never used it off road. Kinda like having a mall crawler jeep or a civic with a 5.0 badge on it. 

Need something like this for when it's parked. 

Let me offer a counterpoint...

In my mind... the Raptor is not designed as a rock crawler or technical trail rig (the way you see a lot of Jeeps are built). It's a built for high speed Baja style racing where the "off roading" is faster and over wider, smoother desert trails (relative to the Rubicon trail). What makes it special is the Fox suspension and it's monster engine.  The truck can literally fly over that terrain.

Now consider a guy like me... lives in an area with crummy roads, has a need for a truck, but also likes his "go fast" daily driver driver. What's a guy like me to do?? The Raptor is the perfect solution.  That same suspension that makes Baja racing possible absolutely dominates the rutted, cracked, and pot holed roads of North Dallas suburbs.... it just eats it up!  Plus I don't feel like I gave up any of the fun factor of driving a smaller, faster car... and I get the utility of a truck that I need for the weekends.

I'm telling ya... the Raptor is the ultimate suburban assault vehicle!!

So why don't I own one??  :dontknow:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

In my mind... the Raptor is not designed as a rock crawler or technical trail rig (the way you see a lot of Jeeps are built). It's a built for high speed Baja style racing where the "off roading" is faster and over wider, smoother desert trails (relative to the Rubicon trail). What makes it special is the Fox suspension and it's monster engine.  The truck can literally fly over that terrain.

Now consider a guy like me... lives in an area with crummy roads, has a need for a truck, but also likes his "go fast" daily driver driver. What's a guy like me to do?? The Raptor is the perfect solution.  That same suspension that makes Baja racing possible absolutely dominates the rutted, cracked, and pot holed roads of North Dallas suburbs.... it just eats it up!  Plus I don't feel like I gave up any of the fun factor of driving a smaller, faster car... and I get the utility of a truck that I need for the weekends.

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Exactly . . . This is perfectly stated to why I have a HO for one right now.  Going for a second try at the dealer again tomorrow to get the 'deal' I want with a little extra incentive with me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Seems an EB FX4 would probably eat up your crappy roads pretty well too.  We have some pretty rotten roads up here in WI, and the Magnetic Ride Control in the Denali does a pretty swell job of dealing with them on the 20" rims.

15 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Seems an EB FX4 would probably eat up your crappy roads pretty well too.  We have some pretty rotten roads up here in WI, and the Magnetic Ride Control in the Denali does a pretty swell job of dealing with them on the 20" rims.

Our Yukon Denali has mag ride but we're on 22's.... rides like a covered wagon. The irony is our prior gen Denali XL was also on 22's and I don't remember the ride being as stiff.

One of the things I don't like about the Denali with mag ride is its lack of suspension modes... I mean that's one of the benefits of mag ride dampers, right?  The ability to electronically control how stiff they are. All other GM vehicles with mag ride also offer some level of controllability... Corvette, Camaro, various Cadillacs, even my Australian made Commodore (aka Chevy SS) has three different suspension modes (touring, sport, and performance). 

Agree that a stock F150 rides very smooth... but I'd be too tempted to level or lift it and then it all goes downhill  

I have never driven a truck that handles crapy city roads better than a Raptor, and I like how they look from the factory. 

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2