Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$79,995 - The Official 2017 21VLX Thread

NWBU

14 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I'm pretty sure I would punch a baby.  

I'm definitely not trying to attack you here.  I'm just trying to add some humor to this very serious discussion.  

If you're pissed that Malibu created a budget version that undercut some of the boats, I totally get that.  And I agree!  Totally agree!  But if that is why you are pissed then say it!  I don't get the argument that it is gonna destroy the wakesetter line or is that your way of saying what you really wanna say?  

Come out from the bush and take my hand 85.  Release your anger.  I can show you the way.....to the dark side.....

I'm not saying Malibu is going under or that the Wakesetter line will be "destroyed".  However, Malibu has never done anything to undercut its existing owners' boats.  Now the seed has been planted that they'll do it.  Might not worry 99% of buyers.  But there will be people in 2017 looking at a $130,000 boat saying, whats going to happen if Malibu releases a budget version of this next year?

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

The MSRP on the new VTX has to be above the 90's now if people are paying 86K.  Heck my 2013 MSRP was 93K.  I paid no where close to that. 

I think this conversation is funny......normally all the talk is about how dare Malibu Raise prices another 4-6% , I tell you what Bob the bubble is about to pop on these boat prices , Ill never be able to buy a new boat.....Now they come out with an offering that keeps prices somewhat "reasonable" and everyone is grumbling that Malibu just crushed their resale value and the perception of the brand. 

Well base MSRP is around 90K and then once you put on the normal level of equipment it goes way up from there.  Not sure if the 86K is a reasonable price or not, they buy a boat or 2 a year under some sort of promo deal - same folks I bought mine from.  MSRP on my 2012 was $87K with all the junk on it but only $56K base (no trailer, wedge, malivue, etc), bought it with under 100 hours for around the base msrp.

I'm not worried about my resale, have to keep this one until I die ;)

7 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

The other point is its not that far off!  

Certainly not 20% as 85 is alluding to.  Seriously,  what would a 22vlx  be IF speced the same.  No flake, no tower speakers,  no wake view, base motor, no trailer upgrades.  The delta would not be that bad.  It is the options that get these boats into the stupid pricing category.   Again, even though the base is 80k, I am willing to bet there will be plenty sold much closer to 90k. 

I'm alluding to a 20% hit in resale.  And I'm not yet convinced that's off.  

Why would a shopper pay 70-75k for a 2014 with one year left on warranty, no PW2, electric surfgate, Viper 1, when that customer can now get all that, with a 5 year warranty, for 80k?  In fact I firmly believe everybody's boat just lost value (not just VLXs).  It was the premium prices and price increases that gave the used market its security.  Few year old VLXs just went from 70-80 to 55-65.  Watch.  

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

I'm pretty sure I would punch a baby.  

I'm definitely not trying to attack you here.  I'm just trying to add some humor to this very serious discussion.  

If you're pissed that Malibu created a budget version that undercut some of the boats, I totally get that.  And I agree!  Totally agree!  But if that is why you are pissed then say it!  I don't get the argument that it is gonna destroy the wakesetter line or is that your way of saying what you really wanna say?  

Come out from the bush and take my hand 85.  Release your anger.  I can show you the way.....to the dark side.....

I can't wait till this happens....G23 for 20% off what bamaboy paid.....yes please

1 minute ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I can't wait till this happens....G23 for 20% off what bamaboy paid.....yes please

If that happens, me and @ibelonginprison are coming up to C-BUS from Bama punching babies and accosting the elderly all along the way.  

Ain't that right IBIP?

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 3
Just now, bamaboy said:

If that happens, mean and IBIP are coming up to C-BUS from Bama punching babies and accosting elderly ladies all along the way.  

When you go to jail can I borrow your G till you get out

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Fman said:

Yep I also agree, 13/14 VLX guys might be in more trouble, but they already had some resale issues with the 22 VLX coming out which was an entirely redesigned VLX.  I also agree with others naming the boat a VLX could be somewhat of a mistake, it seems like a 21 Vride might have been more appropriate and not added a "budget boat" to the wake setter line.  It will be interesting putting my 22 VLX up for sale next month, who knows it might be behind my Toyota next year going to the lake, which would not be a bad thing either, by far best Malibu I have ever owned :)

When the new 22 came out, it cost MORE than its replacement.  New, more expensive models can help the used market (see oldjeeps thoughts on his VTX value), which in turn helps the NEW market if the prices are going to go up.  The opposite is being done here.  It kills the used market, and in my humble opinion, damages the appeal of new models across the lineup.  It might not be much, and might not mean much to most, but it will to some.  And I think a lot of this could have been avoided had they just not used their most famous moniker!

Just now, DarkSide said:

Just curious question.  What would a person pay for a New 21 VLX in 2013 out the door.  80k, 90k.  Just curious.   

Optioned well but not crazy?  I'd say 77-85.

13 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

That would depend on CC making a value G23, which, I don't think there's much risk of them doing.

3 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Optioned well but not crazy?  I'd say 77-85.

That would depend on CC making a value G23, which, I don't think there's much risk of them doing.

Come on 85, lightenup debbie downer that was obviously a joke. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Just curious question.  What would a person pay for a New 21 VLX in 2013 out the door.  80k, 90k.  Just curious.   

I bought in 2013... my 23 LSV was 71 sticker base and I had some upgrades that brought it to 76k.  VLX was about 8k less.

Just now, BlackBluMalibu said:

I bought in 2013... my 23 LSV was 71 sticker base and I had some upgrades that brought it to 76k.  VLX was about 8k less.

Floor model?  What time of year?  What are "some upgrades"?

Just now, 85 Barefoot said:

Floor model?  What time of year?  What are "some upgrades"?

Yes, it was a floor model with .2 hours on it, so only saw the water at the factory test.  Negotiated in December and took delivery February.  Upgardes were :

transome flush, hi flo pumps,  aluminum I-beam trailer, Wetsounds sub and Rev 10 tower speakers, wetsound syn2 (drives sub and syn 4 amp drives tower), custom sub box, CIPA mirror and arm for tower mount, not windshield, extra pair of spinner racks (total of 4 racks), G3 knobs for G3 tower,

VSo basically the 21VLX group and to a certain extent 23LSV have been able to have a boat that has held virtually it's entire value.   

If I read this right away 2013 VLX went for 75k 4 years ago and most are listed in the 65-75 range today on only inboards.  

The larger stuff G23/24MXZ etc does not fare nearly as well.  Not even remotely..  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I'm not saying Malibu is going under or that the Wakesetter line will be "destroyed".  However, Malibu has never done anything to undercut its existing owners' boats.  Now the seed has been planted that they'll do it.  Might not worry 99% of buyers.  But there will be people in 2017 looking at a $130,000 boat saying, whats going to happen if Malibu releases a budget version of this next year?

"Never done anything to undercut"....  Are you trying to imply this is intentional and they want to hurt your resale value?

When surfgate was introduced how do you think the non-surfgate owners who bought a boat the previous year felt?  Surfgate definitely impacted used market interest for previous year models, but it made surfing a more accessible sport by not having to list boats, not having to switch the side of the list, etc.  This boat is about accessibility to the brand.

I am not saying I am in complete opposition of your point, but to say it is an undercut is a little out there.  Again, this is so early in the positioning we don't know what will happen, which is why I sympathize with VLX owners, but again if you look at the differences between the 22 and 21 VLX I don't think you should be all that concerned.  This boat seems to be for those "thinking about their first Malibu"... Not to quote the video or anything :whistle:

Malibu has been making resale and upgrades more challenging for years.  Look at Axis when they brought that line in the mix.  Now they have a 20,22,23 foot axis in traditional and picklefork.  I am sure this has taken away sales from the wakesetter line, cheaper boat, same hull with less features.  For some this was what they wanted, others want a more upgraded boat (wakesetter).  There seems to be enough sales globally to keep all Malibu lines happy.  I am shocked Malibu sells 6000 boats a year, none of these boats are cheap anymore.  Especially considering MB and Supra only roll out about 300ish boats a year.  I rarely see a brand new wakesetter or axis on the water in my area, would be really interesting to see where the bulk of there sales are being done.

It will be interesting to see how long this $80k vlx is available.  As momentum increases and build slots fill up will they ratchet up the price because demand is high?  Or is it set in stone until all build slots are filled?

1 hour ago, Pnwrider said:

This thread is making me lol. A boat is a depreciating asset. @bamaboy can give us all a lesson on which tangible asset will provide the best return, but a boat should not be expected to provide a return. You buy it to have fun on the water with family and friends. Not to hope it's going to be worth as much tomorrow as it was today. Or maybe I look at toy purchases incorrectly? 

I think most would agree with you.  Certainly you shouldn't  expect a boat to appreciate, however I think people chose brands for a number of reasons, including the potential resale value.  My primary reason for choosing a Malibu wasn't appreciation, rather like you said it was the fun factor...spending quality time on the water and the family was interested in getting into surfing.  That being said and considering it was my first inboard purchase, I certainly did my research on what brand of tow boat did well in the resale market.  

12 hours ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

"Never done anything to undercut"....  Are you trying to imply this is intentional and they want to hurt your resale value?

When surfgate was introduced how do you think the non-surfgate owners who bought a boat the previous year felt?  Surfgate definitely impacted used market interest for previous year models, but it made surfing a more accessible sport by not having to list boats, not having to switch the side of the list, etc.  This boat is about accessibility to the brand.

Non-sequitur.  Surfgate was adding content to the boats, which enhances the brand image.  The 21 VLX is decontenting an established name, which reduces brand image.  I don't think anyone here is saying anything negative at all about the boat.  WHat people (like myself) are complaining about is that Malibu chose to keep the VLX/Wakesetter nomenclature with this boat.  If someone looking at used boats from MC, CC, SC, and Malibu looks at a few, and this boat is the first 'Bu they see, they'll inherently assume that the fit and finish is representative of all VLX's, and quite likley all Malibu's branded similarly (i.e. Wakesetter).  That is teh concern folks here have.  Sure the prices will be different, and on individual bases, it won't necessarily do any harm.  But on the aggregate, there will be people who judge teh whole line on this boat, and scratch Malibu off of their list of boats to consider.

Had Malibu used different nomenclature on these boats (e.g. the Drive series), no one would be complaining.  That's what it really all boils down to.

Remember the Cadillac Cimmaron?  It was a rebadged Chevy Cavalier.  Not exactly a brand enhancing move for Cadillac.

• Like 3