Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$79,995 - The Official 2017 21VLX Thread

NWBU

8 hours ago, IXFE said:

Your dealer is wrong, misinformed, etc.  My info comes straight from the factory.  

Freight charge is absolutely included.  In fact, Malibu went so far as to standardize the freight charge across all dealers (for this boat only) no matter how far/close they are to Loudon. 

The $80K is supposed to include prep as well, but I guess there's no way to enforce that.  

I'm looking at the facebook ad right now for the 21 VLX. the 80K pricetag has a *, and when you scroll down, the * says "US prices only. Freight and setup not included. See your local dealer for details."

21 VLX is a terrible name for it since it was an existing model.  Saying $79k and then getting hammered with multiple thousands for dealer prep makes the statement misleading and will annoy buyers.  Should have just called it the Malibu NXT to add to that cluster#$%#.

2 hours ago, River Monsters said:

I totally disagree.  It only has to get close to the 200 and VTX diamond to take the crossover crown.  Malibu has decided the 20' boat needs to surf only. 

says who?  I own one.  would respectfully disagree.

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

I really think it is a great move for Malibu,  I do not see it lessening the brand or costing sales.  Yes you may lose a 22VLX sale  in favor of the less expensive (not cheaper) 21VLX.  However you are also going to get Axis buyers stretching into this.   

It too me is a market share grab, pure and simple.  If you have "John & Jane" looking at boats.  This gives them admission into the premium brand, for roughly the same price as the value brands.  

Again I think only mistake is using VLX badge. 

Darkside - I couldn't have said it better myself.  Great addition to the line, poor naming.

Honestly, do we really think Malibu hasn't crunched the numbers and thought about all of this?  We are enthusiasts...albeit knowledgable ones...but they're occupation is selling boats.  Only they know their profit margins and they're only concerned with 2 things - market share and profit (and share price).  Their goal is to sell more boats, and maintain reasonable margins.  This boat will be a hit at boat shows in January/February.

• Like 2

^^^^ Yeah. If the dealer margin of the 21 is within a few thousand of the 22 shouldn't the dealers win?

Ex. Dealer would've sold 10 22s. Now, 5 22s and 10 21s. More units for service, finance spifs, pros shop sales, etc.

I guess they only win if they move more units.

Edited by teamerickson
10 minutes ago, tjklein said:

Darkside - I couldn't have said it better myself.  Great addition to the line, poor naming.

Honestly, do we really think Malibu hasn't crunched the numbers and thought about all of this?  We are enthusiasts...albeit knowledgable ones...but they're occupation is selling boats.  Only they know their profit margins and they're only concerned with 2 things - market share and profit (and share price).  Their goal is to sell more boats, and maintain reasonable margins.  This boat will be a hit at boat shows in January/February.

Many times throughout the year they can't build any more boats.  I waited more than 2 months this year and it shipped immediately.  The profit per unit is not top secret, it's publicly reported.  It will be going down next year if I had to guess.

Just now, 85 Barefoot said:

Many times throughout the year they can't build any more boats.  I waited more than 2 months this year and it shipped immediately.  The profit per unit is not top secret, it's publicly reported.  It will be going down next year if I had to guess.

That's right! They may be maxed out. If they can't produce more units then this will be a problem.

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

says who?  I own one.  would respectfully disagree.

85 I have to respecfully disagree.  I have not read one thread where someone has said or claimed the new 16 VTX has skied better than the old one, in fact most have said they screwed up the wake,  you Are the first person I have seen that stated that it does.  

I still don't understand why you are so worried this VLX will drop the price of your VTX- it is not the same boat nor does it have the same badging 

3 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

85 I have to respecfully disagree.  I have not read one thread where someone has said or claimed the new 16 VTX has skied better than the old one, in fact most have said they screwed up the wake,  you Are the first person I have seen that stated that it does.  

I still don't understand why you are so worried this VLX will drop the price of your VTX- it is not the same boat nor does it have the same badging 

The MSRP on a VTX is in the 90's now, so having a 21ft brand new Malibu available for 80K might make a dent in the 20ft resale market for the folks who view the 2016 VTX as just another surf boat that is a foot shorter.

The one "promo" 2016 vtx that is for sale locally with 32 hours on it is $86K

Edited by oldjeep
2 hours ago, DarkSide said:

I also don't think the guy looking at a 25LSV/24MXZ is going to be influenced by the 80k VLX.  

At least you hope not, you never know tho... it could affect even Axis sales, the guy who wanted the T22 is now thinking wow for a few more thousand I can have a 21 VLX.

• Like 2

It was in this thread or the 2017 thread 2 different people posted MSRP of 21VLX is ~110k. So if 80k is true that puts it at 28% discount.  Which is better than normal, but certainly not a "sky is falling" crisis.

Especially if this is an intro promo deal

Edited by DarkSide
Just now, DarkSide said:

It was in this thread or the 2017 thread 2 different people posted MSRP of 21VLX is ~110k. So if 80k is true that puts it at 28% discount.  Which is better than normal, but certainly not a "sky is falling" crisis.

I think most of the buyers off the street are not getting 28% off MSRP on any Axis or Wakesetter line.  So considering that is an advertised MSRP discount is not a normal occurrence and kind of a big deal.

30 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Actually I was responding to the post that said Malibu decided the VTX needed to surf good only.  That's just not the case.  The ski wake was a priority.  Was it as big of a priority to improve in relation to surf?  That's debatable of course, and frankly, probably not.  Unfortunately, the VTX factory-offerred props are 15" and do in fact create more propwash than the old 14" props used on the older VTXes and I've posted at length about that.  The wakes, however, I find very very similar.  Other observers would be correct about that comparison (and complaints) unless they go to a prop sized and pitched to mimic the old VTX.   I have not yet received my new prop but have talked to ACME and the factory about the props selected and the best ski wake on the VTX will depend on getting the right prop, and may require getting away from factory offerings if skiing was a priority.  Unfortunately, the 3 OEM props offerred are 15" due to the new reduction and Malibu felt that most buyers would prefer a bias toward weighted surf and wake performance.  The wash is adversely affected by that (as any 07-15 VTX would be as well with a shallowly pitched 15" diameter prop) but the wakes themselves look fine.  I'll be able to test more soon but I'm not discouraged and in fact sold my response last night if that's any indication of my confidence.  Nate Smith ran 39 off behind it, so it ain't holding me back.  I find the sky is falling crowd on the 2016 VTX ski wake to be a bit dramatic since no one has posted here about their prop experimentation, but hey, I'm being dramatic about the new VLX  :lol:

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2

@Fman

I totally agree this is a big event.   I also agree 28% is a rarity.  However I would also say 20- 23% is not out of the norm.  So a single product launch offering an extra 5% discount is not devaluing every Malibu ever made.  

It could do just the opposite over time.  Getting more people into the malibu brand.  More demand = more  $ in the future.

I agree it ABSOLUTELY crushed 2013/4  21VLX resale value.   I don't see it affecting many others. 

Edited by DarkSide

First off, I have a great dealer who works hard to earn $$ on "volume" over "profit".  I think a lot of dealers are small boutique shops that have to get the most out of a few boats they sell.  That said, if you offer me a VTX or even a 22VLX at 90k .. then this boat is going to get a serious look.  Its forcing these shops to give a reasonable discount (freight is a wildcard).  Based on my experience, I don't think its a great deal - but appreciate the gap it will fill for others.  Again .. everyone's dealer experience is different.

Yep I also agree, 13/14 VLX guys might be in more trouble, but they already had some resale issues with the 22 VLX coming out which was an entirely redesigned VLX.  I also agree with others naming the boat a VLX could be somewhat of a mistake, it seems like a 21 Vride might have been more appropriate and not added a "budget boat" to the wake setter line.  It will be interesting putting my 22 VLX up for sale next month, who knows it might be behind my Toyota next year going to the lake, which would not be a bad thing either, by far best Malibu I have ever owned :)

• Like 2

The other point is its not that far off!  

Certainly not 20% as 85 is alluding to.  Seriously,  what would a 22vlx  be IF speced the same.  No flake, no tower speakers,  no wake view, base motor, no trailer upgrades.  The delta would not be that bad.  It is the options that get these boats into the stupid pricing category.   Again, even though the base is 80k, I am willing to bet there will be plenty sold much closer to 90k. 

• Like 2