Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$79,995 - The Official 2017 21VLX Thread

NWBU

9 minutes ago, cmrdgrs said:

No we don't live on a lake.  We live in Phoenix and have lots of options for places to use the boat within 1 hr or less from our house.  For starters we will be storing the boat and trailering to the lake.  DH and I have lots of experience towing (we have a 30' Airstream) and maneuvering/backing a towed vehicle so we are comfortable with the idea of towing the boat. If we find a particular lake we like in AZ we may dry dock or get a slip.  It's all new to us, but this process of buying a boat is turning from exciting to frustrating.

I would ski behind the VLX 21 with a diamond hull then. Filling the front ballast can be helpful in smoothing the wake. If you TRULY want to slalom the VTX is Malibu's best option. You might find yourself wanting a 23 in short order with those big AZ lakes to explore!

Happy Hunting

2 hours ago, gobble said:

Unless you're size or weight restricted, I don't at all understand the appeal of the 21VLX at $79,999 plus freight and prep when a held over 22VLX can be had in the high 80's/low 90's. You might want to consider looking at those.

$10,000 for one more foot is not at everyone's priority list.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Stevo said:

It's really only 6 inches shorter than the 22.

but that 4 inch beam diff is where I notice it on the inside 

10 inches since we're being nitpicky.  So, easily $1,000 an inch to go 22 VLX.  

16 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

10 inches since we're being nitpicky.  So, easily $1,000 an inch to go 22 VLX.  

You're forgetting though that the 22 is deeper, wider and has a better interior. The 21VLX looks half Boston Whaler inside compared to a regular Malibu. Unless the dealers are willing to come off the fixed pricing at year end the 22 (at year-end discounted prices) seems like a much better value.

3 minutes ago, gobble said:

You're forgetting though that the 22 is deeper, wider and has a better interior. The 21VLX looks half Boston Whaler inside compared to a regular Malibu. Unless the dealers are willing to come off the fixed pricing at year end the 22 (at year-end discounted prices) seems like a much better value.

I wouldn't go that far with the bosto whaler.

21vlx is a good lookin boat.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, cmrdgrs said:

I've been reading this forum for a while, but have never posted because I don't own a boat, and I've been reading and trying to learn from all of you.  I'm resurrecting this old thread because DH and I are finally serious and ready to buy our first boat.  Currently the Malibu 21 VLX is at the top of our list.  Here is a little about our family and the journey we have been on during our decision process:

3) Thoughts on this boat for my family based on what I shared?  Do you think a 20 VTX is a better fit?  This boat seemed so small to me when I sat in it.  I know the VLX isn't that much bigger, but it felt more roomy, but from a performance standpoint I didn't know if a 20 VTX is a better fit.  Again, I can't find a VTX to ride in, so I can't compare this boat on the water to the VLX.

Yes.  Given the activities you talk about, I would be looking at a VTX first.

• 4 months later...

Hi all - we just got into a 2018 21 VLX (very excited). Anyone have any warranty issues with their 2017's? Also, how is exhaust on the boats - anyone install a pipe/muffler on theirs or is it even needed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

ahopkins22LSV
42 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Hi all - we just got into a 2018 21 VLX (very excited). Anyone have any warranty issues with their 2017's? Also, how is exhaust on the boats - anyone install a pipe/muffler on theirs or is it even needed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Muffler is standard. Many people install or order a surf pipe on it. It keeps the exhaust exit point below water all the time so it really cuts down on noise behind the boat and fumes in the face of the surfer. Search surf pipe and you should get a ton of hits with much more info.

1 hour ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Question for all of you 2017+ VLX owners - think the surf pipe is even needed? Just curious about the fumes...not so much about the sound.

I noticed the fumes initially but it get better as the boat was broken in. I don't think it's that bad and don't feel like it's worth the money to "fix" it. I enjoy wakeboarding>surfing and got the impression that the surf pipe causes a lot of spray at higher speeds so it's not something I wanted to deal with.

As far as issues, we had an O2 sensor throwing a code at around the 8 hour mark. We got it replaced when the boat was serviced and haven't had any issues since then. We put around 80 hours on the boat last summer.

Congrats on the purchase. We love our 21VLX.

3 hours ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Question for all of you 2017+ VLX owners - think the surf pipe is even needed? Just curious about the fumes...not so much about the sound.

my dealer talked me out of the surfpipe due to the spray issue, and from what i understand can add a little whitewash on the wakeboard wake.  Since i primarily wakeboard, I took his advise and opt'ed out of that option.  If you only surf, then i think its a great option to have.

Thanks SCMike - we are primarily wakeboarders too...but we'll obviously surf too (just bought two boards yesterday!). Are the fumes manageable though with the surf - from the videos out there I don't see it being an issue on the VLX (but you never know if they have the pipes installed or not).

Cheers.

49 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Thanks SCMike - we are primarily wakeboarders too...but we'll obviously surf too (just bought two boards yesterday!). Are the fumes manageable though with the surf - from the videos out there I don't see it being an issue on the VLX (but you never know if they have the pipes installed or not).

Cheers.

I dont really notice the fumes at all. 

49 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Cheers.

It won’t be that big a deal for you without surf pipe. I regularly surf a 2016 and 2017 without it, and my 2018 won’t have it either. Same with several other 2018s for regulars here.

5 minutes ago, NWBU said:

It won’t be that big a deal for you without surf pipe. I regularly surf a 2016 and 2017 without it, and my 2018 won’t have it either. Same with several other 2018s for regulars here.

I didn’t order it for my ‘18 either

58 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Cheers.

Did you already take delivery of the boat or is it being custom ordered? (Maybe I missed this)

You will pay much less for the surf pipe from Malibu than waiting to order at a later time.  If you do have any thought of adding it later would highly recommend ordering with the boat.  And yes the surf pipe will moderately help quiet down behind the boat when surfing and wakeboarding.  However,  it wont reduce any cabin noise in the boat.  Most importantly it will push all the cancer causing CO fumes away from your lungs when surfing for both the rider and passengers.  You spend a lot of time behind the boat exposing your family and friends to CO.  The newer engines are definitely cleaner burning but still produce CO when running.

You can add on the pipe for around $1000 in parts + labor from your dealer or DIY.  Myself and @isellacuras installed a surf pipe last year on a 2016 LSV.  Not a huge project but definitely a two man job.

For the relative small cost compared to the cost of a new boat imo it's a no brainer to order it or add it to your boat.  

Just my .02...