Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$79,995 - The Official 2017 21VLX Thread

NWBU

1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

The outside of the boats are beautiful.  Then there is this - simple, functional and pretty ugly.  Brand new boat and you can see all the wrinkles in the vinyl surrounding the switch panel

16-Centurion-Carbon-Pro-0306-Can-Blu-Blk

Edited by oldjeep

The dash of the Response is the same as my 2008 Wakesetter.  Simple, functional, and maybe due for an update.  I don't dislike it, but wouldn't be throwing stones neither.

Even the lines towards the bow and bow vents look like my '08.

Edited by River Monsters
Just now, River Monsters said:

The dash of the Response is the same as my 2008 Wakesetter.  Simple, functional, and maybe due for an update.  I don't dislike it, but wouldn't be throwing stones neither.

Nothing wrong with this.  No exposed screws and panel ends, $5 lanyard switches or wrinkly vinyl.  Clean and functional

DSC08444.JPG

• Like 1
On 8/10/2016 at 0:18 AM, IXFE said:

Your dealer is wrong, misinformed, etc.  My info comes straight from the factory.  

Freight charge is absolutely included.  In fact, Malibu went so far as to standardize the freight charge across all dealers (for this boat only) no matter how far/close they are to Loudon. 

The $80K is supposed to include prep as well, but I guess there's no way to enforce that.  

I am back!!!

Great info....  

I forgot how knowledgeable and informative you guys are.... and when I saw that new  21 VLX, I knew where to go to get the lowdown. 

Been off the site for quite some time and just sold my baby... 2006 VLX. Got every penny I asked, and more. This was the longest I have ever kept a boat....Resale on Malibu is indeed like gold.

Now its time to upgrade.

Coming from a 2006 VLX with  "old" technology, and a 98 inch beam, I know any new boat will be a BIG upgrade...and the 2017 21 VLX is very interesting, especially the price-point, but mostly that it will keeps that 98'' beam so it will fit in my boathouse and garage.

Hopefully a dealer will get one locally soon, so we can test drive it, and see it on the trailer and on the water in person ...not sure if I can live with the interior cushions with the weird shapes, a lot of fiberglass, and the general fit and finish I have seen online. The outside looks GREAT....but at this point I would probably lean towards his big brother...the 2017 22 VLX.

On a side note, took a test drive in a new Supra, ( i KNOW, I KNOW) and that boat has come along way since its humble beginnings...but I guess that is for a different forum. :biggrin:

Jeff

PS....Hi Traci!

Does the narrow beam hull help them in Europe or other countries?  Wonder if that could be part of the strategy.  

Maybe, but I'd think that the garage thing would be a big consideration.  21ft is still a garage boat for a lot of people.  If the beam were much wider on my VTX it would be difficult to get my wifes car in the garage next to it and still open the doors.

7 hours ago, jeffmx said:

I am back!!!

Great info....  

I forgot how knowledgeable and informative you guys are.... and when I saw that new  21 VLX, I knew where to go to get the lowdown. 

Been off the site for quite some time and just sold my baby... 2006 VLX. Got every penny I asked, and more. This was the longest I have ever kept a boat....Resale on Malibu is indeed like gold.

Now its time to upgrade.

Coming from a 2006 VLX with  "old" technology, and a 98 inch beam, I know any new boat will be a BIG upgrade...and the 2017 21 VLX is very interesting, especially the price-point, but mostly that it will keeps that 98'' beam so it will fit in my boathouse and garage.

Hopefully a dealer will get one locally soon, so we can test drive it, and see it on the trailer and on the water in person ...not sure if I can live with the interior cushions with the weird shapes, a lot of fiberglass, and the general fit and finish I have seen online. The outside looks GREAT....but at this point I would probably lean towards his big brother...the 2017 22 VLX.

On a side note, took a test drive in a new Supra, ( i KNOW, I KNOW) and that boat has come along way since its humble beginnings...but I guess that is for a different forum. :biggrin:

Jeff

PS....Hi Traci!

I am yet to see confirmation that there will in fact be a 2017 22VLX??!! Nothing in the 2017 owners manual.  If that is the case it could make the 2015/16 22VLX either a resale nightmare or a collectors item.  I'm hoping for the latter ?

Just now, PeteOOXXOO said:

I am yet to see confirmation that there will in fact be a 2017 22VLX??!! Nothing in the 2017 owners manual.  If that is the case it could make the 2015/16 22VLX either a resale nightmare or a collectors item.  I'm hoping for the latter ?

Looks like it

http://www.gulllakemarine.com/New-Inventory-2017-Malibu-Boats-Wakesetter-22-VLX-Richland-Michigan-2249894

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2017-MALIBU-Wakesetter-22-VLX-102812343

Edited by oldjeep

Good points on the beam. I would need a new boat lift if I bought a 22 or 23. Mine is 114 wide and right enough with the 2005 (98 inch beam)

31 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Maybe, but I'd think that the garage thing would be a big consideration.  21ft is still a garage boat for a lot of people.  If the beam were much wider on my VTX it would be difficult to get my wifes car in the garage next to it and still open the doors.

I've got no chance at 'Bu in garage.  Too tall, too long.  :-(

I've got no chance at 'Bu in garage.  Too tall, too long.  :-(

I had to use the garage clearance hoop to get under the door frame, but lengthwise it fits without folding the tongue.  The new 2016 VTX wouldn't fit due to the additional 4" of height that they added with the trailer/boat.  Be nice if they kept in mind that 7 ft is still a standard door height.

4 hours ago, IXFE said:

I think it's funny you guys still think Malibu would cut their #2 selling model only two years after launching it. 

Just like all those panicking on resale.  Put the 22 VLX right next to the 21 VLX at the dealerships/boat shows.... I bet it is going to be SO HARD to tell the difference in fit and finish.  :lol:

I personally think the budget 21 VLX is going to hurt the 22 VLX in resale. Most of us owners know the differences in these 2 boats but a lot of first time buyers and novice boaters will likely not see the value in the higher price for the 22 over the 21. That really sucks for people like me. The 22 VLX maxes my garage space out and it was all the boat that I could get. I would have went with the 23 LSV if it would have fit in the garage. I am very happy with my 22 VLX but I think down the road a couple of years that the 21 is going to hurt me. Just my humble opinion. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, SURFNUT said:

I personally think the budget 21 VLX is going to hurt the 22 VLX in resale. Most of us owners know the differences in these 2 boats but a lot of first time buyers and novice boaters will likely not see the value in the higher price for the 22 over the 21. That really sucks for people like me. The 22 VLX maxes my garage space out and it was all the boat that I could get. I would have went with the 23 LSV if it would have fit in the garage. I am very happy with my 22 VLX but I think down the road a couple of years that the 21 is going to hurt me. Just my humble opinion. 

Totally respect your opinion and see where you are coming from, in all honesty I would have some doubt in my mind if I had just bought a 22 VLX.  

Here is ONE way I can see it going (obviously there are other ways too) when the 21 VLX comes out.  It is priced, as mentioned in the video, as a "good value" for 80k to those "thinking about their first Malibu".  Joe Schmo buys the 21 VLX, is introduced to the Malibu brand, starts poking around at other modelsthat are superior to his in fit, finish, options, etc and perhaps wants to have the "nicer" Malibu.  Is that nicer Malibu in Joe Schmo's budget....?  Maybe, maybe not.  If the 80k is his TOP number, well now he knows about the brand and can probably get into a well optioned used (maybe he joins TMC... If he does... Well, you know where I am going) Malibu for a similar price that fits his budget at 80k.  

Again I feel this is targeted to those who get scared by the sticker price of a Malibu and want to have that brand name associated with them on their lake. 

*Insert internet tone disclaimer to avoid thinking I am being hostile*

3 hours ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

Totally respect your opinion and see where you are coming from, in all honesty I would have some doubt in my mind if I had just bought a 22 VLX.  

Here is ONE way I can see it going (obviously there are other ways too) when the 21 VLX comes out.  It is priced, as mentioned in the video, as a "good value" for 80k to those "thinking about their first Malibu".  Joe Schmo buys the 21 VLX, is introduced to the Malibu brand, starts poking around at other modelsthat are superior to his in fit, finish, options, etc and perhaps wants to have the "nicer" Malibu.  Is that nicer Malibu in Joe Schmo's budget....?  Maybe, maybe not.  If the 80k is his TOP number, well now he knows about the brand and can probably get into a well optioned used (maybe he joins TMC... If he does... Well, you know where I am going) Malibu for a similar price that fits his budget at 80k.  

Again I feel this is targeted to those who get scared by the sticker price of a Malibu and want to have that brand name associated with them on their lake. 

*Insert internet tone disclaimer to avoid thinking I am being hostile*

Since I DID just buy a 22 VLX (well, last year), maybe that's the source of my doubt.  But here's how I see it happening.

Joe has this buddy, Jack.  Jack is looking at slightly bigger boats, 22', maybe 23'.  Jack's been on Joe's boat, and starts looking for a boat wiht a 100" beam.  Knows what a VLX is like, so he takes a look at an X23, and is blown away at how much nicer it is.  Looks at an SAN230.  Same thing.  Looks at a 23LSV.  THinks how nice it is, so comes to the logical conclusion that the VLX is like the XT series from Mastercraft, and thinks every guy trying to sell a year old 50 hour 22 VLX for $75K is off his rocker.  Thinks it is a $60K boat

Anyway, I hope you are right, but that's what the other side of the argument is like.  ANd sure, there are both things happening.  But for every Jack in the market, the resale value of the VLX suffers.  All we are saying is that Malibu should have used different nomenclature.

• Like 2

We have been working with the dealer for weeks on pricing 20 VTX, 22 VLX and now 21 VLX. All are available for 2017 by the way. The dealer here hardly even wants to sell us a 21 VLX. I am not sure if its because they don't think its a good boat or if they can't make as much money on them or both. Really pushing us to order the 20 VTX or 22 VLX instead. Also, they are not ordering any to have in stock so if we want to see one we would have to go elsewhere to find it. But of course we can't buy elsewhere very easily.

We have asked from the dealers perspective what the differences are, the most I can get is that the options available on the 21 VLX are very limited but not confirming anything in regards to finish, quality, etc. We would really like to objectively evaluate the 21 VLX and the other boats but seems that is going to be very difficult.

Edited by SammamishMalibu
Just now, SammamishMalibu said:

The dealer here hardly even wants to sell us a 21 VLX. I am not sure if its because they don't think its a good boat or if they can't make as much money on them or both. 

I'm guessing the margins are significantly smaller on these boats BICBW.

This hasn't really been addressed in this thread too much (or maybe it has and I forgot) but what about the pickle this puts the dealer in?  If the margins are indeed smaller, why wouldn't they try to push someone into a 20 or a 22 where they can make more money?  what incentive is there to sell this boat?  

Or maybe the margins are the same?  Can a dealer get on here and tell us exactly what the margins are?  LOL