Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$79,995 - The Official 2017 21VLX Thread

NWBU

I'm in the market and I'm very interested in this boat. I had given up on a new Malibu after getting a price of $96K on a 22 VLX. I was deciding between a used Malibu and a new T22. I was considering whether I should give up Surf Gate to get a 2012 VLX or give up the Malibu touch screens and surf band but get the performance and warranty with a T22. This seems like the best option and doesn't feel or look like a cheap Malibu. 

• Like 3
Just now, teamerickson said:

Was the Vride strategy successful? Maybe it could work again?

I think the Axis line was meant to fill the void of the Vride. But, Axis is more of a stand alone line and it caters to a different crowd.  

I don't have any numbers but I wonder if the NXT line is doing well? I don't really pay attention to MC. I don't think they've made a good product in years.

Just call it something different "Wakesetter Core Edition" or "Wakesetter Rider's Edition" (does anyone remember the Tiges?) or Wakesetter Essentials Package or ....

Just now, Roachie said:

I'm in the market and I'm very interested in this boat. I had given up on a new Malibu after getting a price of $96K on a 22 VLX. I was deciding between a used Malibu and a new T22. I was considering whether I should give up Surf Gate to get a 2012 VLX or give up the Malibu touch screens and surf band but get the performance and warranty with a T22. This seems like the best option and doesn't feel or look like a cheap Malibu. 

2017 T22 will/does have surfband.

Just now, NWBU said:

Hard to know what Malibu's long-term plan will be here - do they keep an optioned down model like the current 2017 21VLX for $80K, 2018 for $84K and so on, to keep bringing in entry level buyers above the general Axis price point? Or do they run this current $80K deal through boat show season to get a lot of initial volume into the model and then start pushing optioned up versions of this boat that compare more favorably with their higher end models, and increase margin.

This boat is also more garage friendly than the bigger Malibu's, and while it's just about a foot of difference, a 22VLX won't fit in many garages built in the last decade. So prospective Malibu buyers for 21' boats have been looking at the VTX but deciding it's too small for surfing, considering the Axis line but not seeing the "big 3" name on it, and then are considering the Nautique and Mastercraft alternatives instead.

...but that's the thing, this isn't an alternative to a G21 or SAN.  This is like an NXT competitor with a touchscreen (to me).  

O well, the ship is already sailing on this one.

16 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

@IXFE great idea and I too am curious how others would do it.

So here is the DarkSide version.

FIRST NO boat would hit dealer showrooms before press release! EVER!

Second, moniker would have meaning.  I heard LSV = Luxury Standard Version

VTX?   VLX?  MXZ?

So if I were King

20 VTX and New 21 VLX would be rebranded into VXS = Value Crossover Series.

These would be fairly basic in vinyl and gel options. but still having the Wakesetter dash, and other elements that make a Malibu a Malibu.  However things like G4, would be reserved for other series.  Stereo would be wetsounds just 6.5 vs 8 on interior icon8 on tower if ordered.  10" sub etc.  Power wedge 1, but add lift function.  15" prop. Standard bimini included, surf bimini optional.  Trailer would have current basic wheels, 18" would be available. 410 standard 450 optional, no 575.  Still nice but saving a buck or two here and there to keep price down.  

These would be marketed to crossover enthusiasts, who want lighter boat for skiing, but still want to wakeboard and/or surf.  Also first time boat buyer who is price sensitive.

LSV = Luxury Standard Version 

22 VLX would be rebranded to join 23 and 25 as LSV. 23 would stretch to 23'6" so it is halfway between 22 and 25

Here gel and vinyl options are increased.  

G4 is available, 12" XXX is standard (with proper enclosure), 1 pair Rev 10 is standard, 2nd pair optional.  17" prop, 450 standard, 575 optional.  Surf bimini standard.  Trailer 18" wheel standard, 20" optional.  Only trailer options would be wheel size 18/20 and style, and runway lights, all the other junk like steps and tie downs are included.  HUGE ballast standard.  Larger fuel tanks to accommodate ballast. 65, 80 and 100 gallon tanks for 22/23/25

Target audience step up for family's or the person who doesn't ski, but wants the wake monster.  

MXZ change to MBS= Maximum Bow Series in 23 and 25 (the new 22 is over 22 and 24 was 24' 5" so stretch a tiny bit to have consistency 23/25) the 20 is already dead, the big bow eats too much space to shrink below 22/23.

Same option list standard list as LSV just has big bow.

Target audience is the same, just different style.  22/23 get tandem trailer, 25 LSV and MBS get triple.  

M235 - no change 

Love the product and how it is marketed.  I would REALLY limit decontent options.  

I like a lot of that strategy...but for the VTX being considered "value".  Many people with length restrictions want as optioned out a boat as possible.  There's nothing value about the VTX other than its cheaper because its shorter.  21 VLX?  clearly a different story.

26 minutes ago, Roachie said:

$96k for a new 22 vlx?  Wow, they are really climbing. That 4-5% every year definitely compounds on itself.

DarkSide, great idea about changing the 22 vlx to the 22 lsv.  Seems like a smart move considering the new 21vlx is more of a value purchase.

23 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

...but that's the thing, this isn't an alternative to a G21 or SAN.  This is like an NXT competitor with a touchscreen (to me).  

O well, the ship is already sailing on this one.

Maybe that's where the optioning up part of the strategy kicks in. For some it may not make a great G21 alternative but optioned up it's competitive with a SAN.

Edited by NWBU

The Specs says it includes bimini. :thumbup:

The more I look, the more I like it. This is a great boat!

Might be a little small for me? Standard ballast seems light. Either doesn't have center or bow. But, I think IXFE said it has bow ballast.

Edited by teamerickson
37 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

The Specs says it includes bimini. :thumbup:

The more I look, the more I like it. This is a great boat!

Might be a little small for me? Standard ballast seems light. Either doesn't have center or bow. But, I think IXFE said it has bow ballast.

I think it includes bow and midship. That's what a build sheet says.

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

Maybe that's where the optioning up part of the strategy kicks in. For some it may not make a great G21 alternative but optioned up it's competitive with a SAN.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but optioning up a 21 VLX, to me, is never going to be on par with a G21.  Seriously, are you going to option for a vinyl covered passenger side dash?  If  you could, sounds all the more cheap to me.  Having to "option up" putting finishing touches on a $80,000 boat seems incredibly cheap.  So, to my mind, they're not really competitors.  While Correct craft may let some boats out without flake and heaters, they're not turning anything out where someone could ever say anything but, "This boat is first class."

Just my opinion, but Malibu has sacrificed long term prestige and premium price command of its other models by going this direction.  I just don't think it makes as much sense for Malibu (and its dealers, who depend on unicorn buyers) to sell 10 21s at 79,900, instead of 8 22 VLXs.  That said, I bet they do sell a ton, just afraid it will at the expense of per unit revenue and long term dwindling of prestige.  

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2
20 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I do agree from a certain standpoint.  If I had a 13/14  21VLX I would be PI***D.   If you look on only inboard there is a handful listed ~65-75k.  

Most have 350, etc.  So now is a "New" 2017 @ 79995 with 410, surf band, etc.  This is really going to confuse the marketplace and make it harder to resell the more upscale 21VLX from 13/14

I like the concept but naming 21 VLX was BAD move!

Absolutely...and there will be plenty of 23 LSV shoppers this spring  thinking to themselves, "Jeez, if they did that to the 21 VLX, when are they going to do that to a 23 or MXZ and cut my boat's value by 25%.  I better stick to MC and CC."  

Malibu may have had no plans to do this to any other model, but now they've opened Pandora's box in shopper's minds.  The partition between Axis and Malibu, even with Axises getting so much nicer, still left adequate brand separation.  I know I've said it like 5 times today but this will affect a substantial number of buyers for a long time.  Again, that does not mean I don't think they'll sell a bunch, but it will come at too great of an image cost long term in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Absolutely...and there will be plenty of 23 LSV shoppers this spring  thinking to themselves, "Jeez, if they did that to the 21 VLX, when are they going to do that to a 23 or MXZ and cut my boat's value by 25%.  I better stick to MC and CC."  

Malibu may have had no plans to do this to any other model, but now they've opened Pandora's box in shopper's minds.  The partition between Axis and Malibu, even with Axises getting so much nicer, still left adequate brand separation.  I know I've said it like 5 times today but this will affect a substantial number of buyers for a long time.  Again, that does not mean I don't think they'll sell a bunch, but it will come at too great of an image cost long term in my opinion.  

They would've been better served putting power wedge one on Axis perhaps . 

Although not too much mention has been made of size.  Don't forget this boat is smaller than my 2005 vlx.    Quite a bit smaller than the 2013 too. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

Although not too much mention has been made of size.  Don't forget this boat is smaller than my 2005 vlx.    Quite a bit smaller than the 2013 too. 

Good point, my 05 VLX is 6" longer, same beam as the new 21 VLX.  I'll have to see how it feels with my butt planted on the seat, vs the paper specs.  Wonder if it has more freeboard to put the tanks lower so it feels larger inside?  Its heavier than my 05 on paper.  Can't wait to see it live.

I enjoyed reading all the comments on this thread and just spent about 30 minutes building my own 2017 VLX. :-)

2017vlx.jpg.90846269e21dd9f035a98f232c06

If there are some boat show incentives to drop this boat lower in January, it's very tempting.  The Malibu website says it comes with wet sounds speakers, 12" sub, amp, G3.5 tower, surfgate with surfband, tower bimini, mooring cover, pull up cleats, GPS cruise, Monsoon 410, surf storage, board racks, tower lights, etc.  The only thing I'd upgrade to is the seadek interior (or whatever their equivalent is) to match the platform and make clean-up easy.   The spec says snap out carpet on the website.

-- Mike

2 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I think you're completely wrong.  This is called innovation and having a broad catalog that appeals to a market as wide as possible.  Malibu now has a 21 VLX and a 22 VLX.  They have a 23 LSV and a 25 LSV.   If you buy a new boat worrying and thinking about your boat's value, why the hell are you buying a new boat?  

The thing that I like about this new VLX - at least in the videos and on paper - is that it is not a stripper.  This is not a gawd awful NXT.  Talk about a brand nightmare.  The VLX looks like it belongs in the same line-up as other boats that say MALIBU down the side.  It has the same awesome tower, high end wedge, the latest surf-gate and helm station controls.  The same excellent drivetrain.  Same interior materials.  Same warrantee.   Same trailer.  Comparing MSRP to MSRP, this new boat appears to deliver a good value.  The price is right in-line with the line-up.  A 23 LSV with reasonable options and boat show pricing is typically low to mid 80s.  This is a few feet smaller, and lists at $80.

-- Mike

Just now, EchelonMike said:

I think you're completely wrong.  

A 23 LSV with reasonable options and boat show pricing is typically low to mid 80s.  

Mike either you haven't been to a boat show in a while or you need to share the deets on the show you are going to, because you are under by about $15-20k easy.

Just now, shawndoggy said:

Mike either you haven't been to a boat show in a while or you need to share the deets on the show you are going to, because you are under by about $15-20k easy.

It might have been couple of years ago...

My point was that I found it interesting in this thread that some were commenting this boat is bad for the brand.  No way someone doesn't buy a Malibu because they introduced an $80K point of entry.