Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$79,995 - The Official 2017 21VLX Thread

NWBU

21 minutes ago, Afun said:

No way! We are all so jaded in thinking 80k is such a bargain

Dang that thing is ugly.

8 hours ago, IXFE said:

P1010806.jpg

Reg numbers above the rubrail!

Edited by Raimie
edit

I think Malibu is nailing some of these new releases.  I absolutely love my Axis A22 as I like the simplistic approach and to be honest, a new malibu didn't fit into my budget.  Now I am coming from two previous Malibu's so there are few nuisances that I miss from the Malibu but not enough to justify a $20K+ price jump, but now....I could look at a new 2017 T22/A22 in the low 70s or get a Malibu (with options I want) for less than $10K more..  Yes you can absolutely get a new Axis cheaper but they add up quick with options.  If you take a base 2017 A22 and add the options included in the 21VLX, you are in the 70s. 

The 21VLX checks almost all the boxes I would want and will definitely be a contender.  The biggest selling point to me, will be "how well it does on the water"  I don't think anyone will argue that the Axis lineup does incredibly well on the water but every year a "new dash" or "new something" is introduced and so many state how they wish they had "this or that" like the Malibu lineup and Malibu is now offering that little bit of extra bling at a fraction of the cost.  Will this hurt Axis sales? Yes, but Malibu and Dealers would rather sell the Malibu anyway.

I have been on this forum awhile and it really amazes me to see the discussions about what owners want and Malibu really seems to be bringing those things to life in a very short period of time.

• Like 2

Can someone please photoshop a G3.5 tower onto an NXT?  Stevo?  Where you be?

Also, the NXT is not a bad looking boat outside of the tower.  The tower is bad, bad, bad.

Good thing its 50K all day or no one would buy them.  :whistle:

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

What a fickle group!  Last year Malibu went all in with the M235.  People went off about leaving the masses behind,   This year a more basic boat targeting the masses, and still getting grief.   This could be  an absolute home run.   I agree those that get in early will likely do well on resale.   Much safer bet than on the Big Malibu's .  

I'm not suggesting it won't be a home run, only that making its first boat in decades without finishing it out like every other model before it is an odd strategy for the "premium" Malibu name, using its most well known "VLX" moniker.  It's not like they named it something new, the Wakesetter VLX is Malibu's longest running most well known name, and now it being put on a boat that more resembles a moomba than a Malibu.  Just odd to me, and cheapens the brand overall, no matter how great it performs, and no matter how many they sell.  

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2

I can see that point of view. However I also see it as a way to start a Malibu loyalty, with first time buyer.   I do agree reusing the VLX moniker cheapens previous 21VLX.  However I don't see any impact to other lines.  

I think it's a great long play.  Start a family in 21 VLX, a couple years later,  step them into LSV or MXZ.   

1 minute ago, DarkSide said:

I think it's a great long play.  Start a family in 21 VLX, a couple years later,  step them into LSV or MXZ.   

...then when said family gets sick of the outdated electronics that don't work anymore they will make the best boat decision of their life...a T22. :whistle:

sorry had to :cheers:

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I'm not suggesting it won't be a home run, only that making its first boat in decades without finishing it out like every other model before it is an odd strategy for the "premium" Malibu name, using its most well known "VLX" moniker.  It's not like they named it something new, the Wakesetter VLX is Malibu's longest running most well known name, and now it being put on a boat that more resembles a moomba than a Malibu.  Just odd to me, and cheapens the brand overall, no matter how great it performs, and no matter how many they sell.  

It is a curious strategy, and probably not one I would have come up with on my own. 

Sometimes I try to picture myself in the boardroom in Loudon. If the problem statement was "we don't have a boat to sell people in the upper $70's" or "gee, the Wakesetters have sure gotten expensive" how would I have responded?  What might my idea have been?  

Let's all play this game. If you were calling the shots, what boat would you have built, what would you call it, and how would you have marketed it?  

As is sit here and think about it, I'm conjuring up my own strategy.  Here's a hint... It involves more than one boat (although not necessarily new boats).  Before I share it, I'm interested to hear others.  

Just using the VLX names bugs me a bit.  I wonder will people begin to confuse the new 21VLX with the 22?  I may be whining a bit but I think they could have called it something different since they were reintroducing the 21.  

3 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

...then when said family gets sick of the outdated electronics that don't work anymore they will make the best boat decision of their life...a T22. :whistle:

sorry had to :cheers:

No power wedge 2 = deal breaker

Sorry Axis guys, had to say it :-)

12 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

So does it come with snap in carpet or seadeck? The promo video has seadeck. But the ones in the wild have snap in carpet?

Snap out carpet is what you get. 

No clue why Malibu used a boat in the promo video that you can't have for $80k. 

Edited by IXFE

Dealer told me you can swap soft deck for the carpet, but then you have to give up something else, like the sport dash. Although he also said the ordering options don't appear to be finalized.

I think the de-contenting of the Malibu VLX was a fantastic idea. The bubble is going to have to burst and maybe this is the first sign of Malibu prepping for it.

I think this is a great concept overall.  It's just like MC introducing the NXT line, but without this boat being a POS.  It's a great way to get into a Malibu and is a step up from an Axis in it's own ways.  Unforunetly, I do think in a few years this "price point" boat will be lost and it will just be added to the line.  It's a great marketing strategy for Malibu though for people to buy this and really get into the sport and in a few years upgrade.

15 minutes ago, ctvandy23 said:

Just using the VLX names bugs me a bit.  I wonder will people begin to confuse the new 21VLX with the 22?  I may be whining a bit but I think they could have called it something different since they were reintroducing the 21.  

I agree with you here, I don't like that it has the VLX name to it.  Although with my statement above, I believe in a few years it will just fall into line with the other wakesetters, be able to option it out and of course raise the price.  Maybe this is their thought process and in a couple years the name will fit.

3 minutes ago, gobble said:

Dealer told me you can swap soft deck for the carpet, but then you have to give up something else, like the sport dash. Although he also said the ordering options don't appear to be finalized.

Trade soft deck for the stupid surf band. Are those equal value? 

21 minutes ago, IXFE said:

It is a curious strategy, and probably not one I would have come up with on my own. 

Sometimes I try to picture myself in the boardroom in Loudon. If the problem statement was "we don't have a boat to sell people in the upper $70's" or "gee, the Wakesetters have sure gotten expensive" how would I have responded?  What might my idea have been?  

Let's all play this game. If you were calling the shots, what boat would you have built, what would you call it, and how would you have marketed it?  

As is sit here and think about it, I'm conjuring up my own strategy.  Here's a hint... It involves more than one boat (although not necessarily new boats).  Before I share it, I'm interested to hear others.  

In my personal opinion, that's what the ride series was for.  Let the old generation carry on.  If people want a Malibu but don't need the latest hull, boom.  If people want the latest hulls but want to share 30k off the price get an Axis.  If you want the best, you get a Malibu.

I don't understand what problem they're solving.  This will cannibalize terribly in my opinion.  We're talking perhaps up to $20,000 more for a 22VLX and more for an LSV.  Clearly, a lot of margin for malibu to be sacrificing by offering an $80,000 product with essentially everything you'd need.  A 20% discount for 4 inches of width and one foot in length?  I do bet they sell like hotcakes.  In fact, many many people are going to ask themselves why spend that extra money.  The Axis angle was perfect to not compete with upmarket Malibu.  Even Dan Bilzerian would now consider the 21 over the 22.  I just think this significantly lowers the profitability per unit for malibu and dealers and they'll be selling 21s to people that "should" be buying 22s for 20k more.  Axis didn't cannibalize Malibu nearly as bad as this boat will, IMHO, and this cheapens the brand where they already had offerings for less than that price range with great performance just no touchscreens and PW2 (axis).  

3 minutes ago, Suggy said:

I think this is a great concept overall.  It's just like MC introducing the NXT line, but without this boat being a POS.  It's a great way to get into a Malibu and is a step up from an Axis in it's own ways.  Unforunetly, I do think in a few years this "price point" boat will be lost and it will just be added to the line.  It's a great marketing strategy for Malibu though for people to buy this and really get into the sport and in a few years upgrade.

I agree with you here, I don't like that it has the VLX name to it.  Although with my statement above, I believe in a few years it will just fall into line with the other wakesetters, be able to option it out and of course raise the price.  Maybe this is their thought process and in a couple years the name will fit.

The wakesetter VLX is synonymous with Malibu's top of the line wakeboard boat.  Going back almost 2 decades.  Even non-serious riders know that.  They also know what a super air nautique is and an x-star.  Now compare the premium offerings of MC and CC with this 21 VLX.  IMO, a serious departure downward.  Usually I like Malibu's new market exploration, but I don't see this one from my perspective as long time buyer, towed sports fan, and stockholder.  

I'm sure they'll sell well....and that's the long term problem IMO.  

Hard to know what Malibu's long-term plan will be here - do they keep an optioned down model like the current 2017 21VLX for $80K, 2018 for $84K and so on, to keep bringing in entry level buyers above the general Axis price point? Or do they run this current $80K deal through boat show season to get a lot of initial volume into the model and then start pushing optioned up versions of this boat that compare more favorably with their higher end models, and increase margin.

This boat is also more garage friendly than the bigger Malibu's, and while it's just about a foot of difference, a 22VLX won't fit in many garages built in the last decade. So prospective Malibu buyers for 21' boats have been looking at the VTX but deciding it's too small for surfing, considering the Axis line but not seeing the "big 3" name on it, and then are considering the Nautique and Mastercraft alternatives instead.

Was the Vride strategy successful? Maybe it could work again?

I think the Axis line was meant to fill the void of the Vride. But, Axis is more of a stand alone line and it caters to a different crowd.  

I don't have any numbers but I wonder if the NXT line is doing well? I don't really pay attention to MC. I don't think they've made a good product in years.