Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$79,995 - The Official 2017 21VLX Thread

NWBU

17 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

But in a couple years, everything equal, that '18 will likely be worth 3k more, so it would be a wash.

Couple things here...

Most dealers are adding freight and prep to the $79995 price making it an $84,000 boat. That was true last year and it’s true again this year. 

Also, while the promo $79995 was maintained in 2018, in order to hold that price there are a couple of features missing this year... the 12” sub is gone and so is the PnP.  Of course you can add them back but that takes your price a couple grand over $79995 (both were included in 2017)  

Also consider that a lot of dealers have dropped freight and prep from their 17 leftovers in order to move them. 

So when you add it all up, we’re talking about a $5k+ difference, which is you’re shopping for a 21 VLX may be considered material. 

Now fast forward 4-5 years... will an 18 VLX be worth $5k more than a 17 VLX if the hours, features, and colors are identical?  I personally don’t think so. Just like a 14 VLX doesn’t fetch a premium over a 13 VLX (effectively identical boats just like the 17 and 18). 

If I was VLX shopping I’d take the 17 and pocket the $5k, assuming I could find leftover colors I liked. 

Or I’d step up to the 21 MLX which I like a lot more... 

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Couple things here...

Most dealers are adding freight and prep to the $79995 price making it an $84,000 boat. That was true last year and it’s true again this year. 

Also, while the promo $79995 was maintained in 2018, in order to hold that price there are a couple of features missing this year... the 12” sub is gone and so is the bimini.  Of course you can add them back but that takes your price a couple grand over $79995 (both were included in 2017)  

Also consider that a lot of dealers have dropped freight and prep from their 17 leftovers in order to move them. 

So when you add it all up, we’re talking about a $5k+ difference, which is you’re shopping for a 21 VLX may be considered material. 

Now fast forward 4-5 years... will an 18 VLX be worth $5k more than a 17 VLX if the hours, features, and colors are identical?  I personally don’t think so. Just like a 14 VLX doesn’t fetch a premium over a 13 VLX (effectively identical boats just like the 17 and 18). 

If I was VLX shopping I’d take the 17 and pocket the $5k, assuming I could find leftover colors I liked. 

Or I’d step up to the 21 MLX which I like a lot more... 

100% correct here.  My boat optioned the same way in 2018 would be $86500. 

Edited by SCMike
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, IXFE said:

But what do I know...?  10 years on the forum, hundreds of posts/threads about GPH, and this is literally first time I’ve ever heard anybody reference MPG on a boat. 

GPH at a velocity is the same thing as MPG, in fact they can be derived from each other: MPH/GPH = MPG.  The chart is just doing this for you (20.4mph/6.6gph =  3.14mpg).

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

@IXFE what do you mean step up to the MLX?  Other than picklefork and new model, what distinguishes it from the VLX?

It’s 2” deeper. Sitting side by side with the VLX it’s a noticeable difference. That plus the bigger bow the MLX just feels like a lot more boat for just $3k more. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MadMan said:

GPH at a velocity is the same thing as MPG, in fact they can be derived from each other: MPH/GPH = MPG.  The chart is just doing this for you (20.4mph/6.6gph =  3.14mpg).

Still no MPG data....??

3A1A31FA-5ED3-4D9F-8648-0AB6DF74C523.gif

• Like 3

I will agree when comparing the 21 VLX to the 21 MLX, the MLX feels alot bigger.  We looked at the Tige R23, Mastercraft NXT 22 and the 21 VLX.  We had elminated the 21 VLX as it seemed small.  When we saw the 21 MLX at the boat show, it met our needs perfectly, roomy, nice standard features and well built.  Compared to the NXT 22, you get a lot more features and functions for about the same cost, both are right around the $85K range.  The NXT is a tad bigger on the inside, due to narrow sidewalls and thinner upholstery.  It is a much more basic boat, compared to the Malibu or Tige,  not neccesarily a bad thing in my opinion.  The Tige R23 is a bigger boat, $85K with much of the same feautres and functions as the MLX, Tige has no hard tank ballast and future resale seems less on the Tige.  Long term quality on the Tige was iffy.  I think both the Malibu and Mastercraft resale will be close to the same, 4-5 years down the road.   

The Mastercraft NXT's aren't even in the same league as the VLX/MLX; sorry mate. I actually was extremely interested in Mastercraft, but only at the comparable X10 level (vs. the 21 VLX). The fit and finish of the X10 is a bit better than the VLX (just a bit) but Malibu has it beat on engineering and performance (the helm of the VLX is better/easier too). 

The NXT's fit and finish, and ballast setup, are in no way comparable to the VLX/MLX - not even close. The NXT22 has the 21 VLX beat by a foot and that's it. When it comes to performance they are not in the same league either (I have ridden Mastercraft, Centurion, Nautique and Malibu).

• Like 3
On 2/12/2018 at 9:21 AM, tex599 said:

I will agree when comparing the 21 VLX to the 21 MLX, the MLX feels alot bigger.  We looked at the Tige R23, Mastercraft NXT 22 and the 21 VLX.  We had elminated the 21 VLX as it seemed small.  When we saw the 21 MLX at the boat show, it met our needs perfectly, roomy, nice standard features and well built.  Compared to the NXT 22, you get a lot more features and functions for about the same cost, both are right around the $85K range.  The NXT is a tad bigger on the inside, due to narrow sidewalls and thinner upholstery.  It is a much more basic boat, compared to the Malibu or Tige,  not neccesarily a bad thing in my opinion.  The Tige R23 is a bigger boat, $85K with much of the same feautres and functions as the MLX, Tige has no hard tank ballast and future resale seems less on the Tige.  Long term quality on the Tige was iffy.  I think both the Malibu and Mastercraft resale will be close to the same, 4-5 years down the road.   

I shopped both boats (nxt22 and 21vlx), so I'll give my worthless opinion. Whitewaterweb is right, those 2 boats aren't really comparable models. And I don't think any dealer would try to compare them. I ended up with the nxt22, only because it met my needs more. If I was a stud surfer/wakeboarder that was going to make youtube videos, the vlx would probably be the choice for me. But I'm old, and my kids are too young to take advantage of either boat's biggest wake. I opted for the space, simplicity, reliability (not that Malibu isn't just as reliable), and price of the nxt22. More important for me to fit 3-4 sets of parents and their kids, pull a tube, storage, and be able to act as a ridiculously expensive floating cooler/diving board. If us dads can get a decent wave for surfing, thats just gravy. Personal decision. 

But the boats shouldn't be in the same ball park, price wise. When I shopped both, there was more than $10k difference comparably equipped (2018s). If priced the same, I would assume the VLX/MLX was a no brainer. But again, you would be overpaying for the nxt if it was priced the same. Unless you plan on being in the x games soon, you probably can't go wrong with either one. I'd say its more important to make sure you are getting a fair deal on whichever you choose and not overpay. 

On 2/12/2018 at 10:21 AM, tex599 said:

I am surprised Axis with the addition of power wedge didn't enter this conversation or comparison. Performance wise Tige can't hold a candle to an Axis when it comes to wake. Price, durability and resale should also place Axis in this discussion. Just saying...:whistle:

7 hours ago, 06vride said:

I shopped both boats (nxt22 and 21vlx), so I'll give my worthless opinion. Whitewaterweb is right, those 2 boats aren't really comparable models. And I don't think any dealer would try to compare them. I ended up with the nxt22, only because it met my needs more. If I was a stud surfer/wakeboarder that was going to make youtube videos, the vlx would probably be the choice for me. But I'm old, and my kids are too young to take advantage of either boat's biggest wake. I opted for the space, simplicity, reliability (not that Malibu isn't just as reliable), and price of the nxt22. More important for me to fit 3-4 sets of parents and their kids, pull a tube, storage, and be able to act as a ridiculously expensive floating cooler/diving board. If us dads can get a decent wave for surfing, thats just gravy. Personal decision. 

But the boats shouldn't be in the same ball park, price wise. When I shopped both, there was more than $10k difference comparably equipped (2018s). If priced the same, I would assume the VLX/MLX was a no brainer. But again, you would be overpaying for the nxt if it was priced the same. Unless you plan on being in the x games soon, you probably can't go wrong with either one. I'd say its more important to make sure you are getting a fair deal on whichever you choose and not overpay. 

I had the NXT with most of the options you would need, priced at $79K plus TTL and the 21 MLX around $85K, not a huge difference in price.  The 2018 NXT with the updated tower is a nice setup with simple switches. 

3 hours ago, tex599 said:

I had the NXT with most of the options you would need, priced at $79K plus TTL and the 21 MLX around $85K, not a huge difference in price.  The 2018 NXT with the updated tower is a nice setup with simple switches. 

Whoa that makes me feel real good about my deal  

Dont want to veer off topic. I can tell you, even as a new MC owner that the VLX/MLX (assuming pickle fork is the only significant difference) is a freakin sweet boat. It is definitely more luxurious than the NXT. I love my boat, but there are some things I would take from VLX if they were options. Im coming from an 11 year old boat, so it blew me away when I looked took it out. If the MLX checks all your boxes, grab it and don’t look back. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, IXFE said:

Circling back on the 21 VLX price discussion... I was perusing OIB today and stumbled across this gem.  Somebody was asking why anybody would by a 2017... here's why!

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2017-Wakesetter-VLX-Immaculate--for-sale-Ocala-Florida-80054.aspx

2150565.jpeg 

That color combo is hot! O-H!

I personally know a dealer in Canada who will take $95,000 Canadian for a brand new 2017 21 VLX, with rear bags installed, trailer, etc. (if still available of course...there was just a local boat show). Message me if you are interested.

Jody

4 minutes ago, tex599 said:

We did have the Axis in our comparison at first.  It was comparable to the NXT as far as features and functions.  It was a lower cost option when compared to it.  We did test drive the Tige R23, was not all that impressed with it.  It is a sharp looking boat with lots of room, I did not like the fact that every compartment had ballast bags, took up a lot of the storage space.  The interior layout is nice, did not care for their electronics and quality seemed okay.  My major concern was dealer support, long term durability and resale.  

We ended up purchasing the 21 MLX last week.  We lake tested the boat and my wife and I were very impressed with it.  Nice wave out of the box, with the PNP bags.  Seemed larger than the 21 VLX, with the wider bow.  The interior and fit/finish looked much better than the Tige or NXT.  Really like the dash, it's simple and intuitive.  No concerns with dealer support, they have been awesome to work with and resale seems to be a given.  Looking forward to using it this summer.

Agree having a dealer that genuinely supports and understands your investment is HUGE and a lot of times that consideration is lost when people start to just look at numbers or options. My point in suggesting Axis be in the mix was recognizing now that Axis has the power wedge, surfgate, and remote it has all the tools your Malibu has for making a wake minus hi tech dash, and interior finish. Axis also just introduced a new 22 and the interior as many have stated is much nicer. 

New to forum. Really like the 21 VLX. I'm really wanting to move on one, but I just ran into a hiccup. My garage is an 8' opening. That rounded bar on the tower, that sits as the highest point when tower is folded, is taller than the 8' door. 

The dealer says "he believes" that bar easily removes. Do any of you have experience with removing that bar? How hard is it? I have to garage it at the end of every weekend, so don't want something crazy hard. 

The tow hoop is a pain to remove every time. Your tower and tow hoop will get scratched up when doing so. It's even worse if you have tower speakers as some speaker mounts (like wetsounds and exile) utilize one of the tow hoop bolts for mounting.

Ask the dealer if they can supply you a garage clearance hoop. Otherwise known as the straight tow hoop. It is the same height off of the floor when the tower is up, but it doesn't curve nearly as far towards the back of the boat. So when the tower is folded it lowers the height by about 12".

I used one on my old 2012 VLX to fit it under a 7' garage door for years and it worked great. It cost about $400 to add to my new order when I had the boat built as I wanted to keep the conventional hoop as well. Only 2 main downsides are that the bimini hole no longer lines up so you have to cut a new one. Second is that when turning to pick up a downed rider if you turn too sharply the rope gets tangled in boards or racks more easily. Not deal breakers in my mind when it allowed me to fit my boat in the garage easily.

If you are only about 1" away from clearing you could also lower the trailer. You can re-index the spindles on the torsion axles and lower the trailer about 1" to 1.5" if you have the 14" wheels. The 18" wheels have almost no fender space to lower the trailer.

Edited by Brett B
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, Brett B said:

The tow hoop is a pain to remove every time. Your tower and tow hoop will get scratched up when doing so. It's even worse if you have tower speakers as some speaker mounts (like wetsounds and exile) utilize one of the tow hoop bolts for mounting.

Ask the dealer if they can supply you a garage clearance hoop. Otherwise known as the straight tow hoop. It is the same height off of the floor when the tower is up, but it doesn't curve nearly as far towards the back of the boat. So when the tower is folded it lowers the height by about 12".

I used one on my old 2012 VLX to fit it under a 7' garage door for years and it worked great. It cost about $400 to add to my new order when I had the boat built as I wanted to keep the conventional hoop as well. Only 2 main downsides are that the bimini hole no longer lines up so you have to cut a new one. Second is that when turning to pick up a downed rider if you turn too sharply the rope gets tangled in boards or racks more easily. Not deal breakers in my mind when it allowed me to fit my boat in the garage easily.

If you are only about 1" away from clearing you could also lower the trailer. You can re-index the spindles on the torsion axles and lower the trailer about 1" to 1.5" if you have the 14" wheels. The 18" wheels have almost no fender space to lower the trailer.

Thank you! With the straight bar, do the board racks become the highest point? My garage is 8', but the driveway comes in from a decline. So its not a true 8' clearance. The angle the driveway drops in to the garage, really decreases the true clearance. 

16 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

Well loaded MLX was going for 82k at the boat show this past weekend. it was super nice!

I'm already sold on this boat, but I think it sits higher than the VLX. And I already have clearance issues. But that is an awesome looking boat. 

my only issues with it are beam (coming from a T23) and the bimini... other than that i almost pulled the trigger.... also not sure i can go from a 23.5ft boat to a 21

59 minutes ago, Fogrider said:

I'm already sold on this boat, but I think it sits higher than the VLX. And I already have clearance issues. But that is an awesome looking boat. 

Just brought home the MLX Saturday and it does sit higher than the VLX.  The MLX is about 4" deeper than the VLX, which I think is why it sits higher.