Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thoughts on 20 VTX

Wells

3 minutes ago, asnowman said:

The 2016 is listed as being 200 lbs heavier than our 2011 is, and i know i notice the difference in the ski wake at 34 mph when there is one extra person in the boat.  That 200 lbs has to make a difference.  Our local ski shop orders a new vtx every year, and though i haven't yet been out in this years, they have told me without a doubt the 16 doesnt ski as well for the average person, but it does surf and wakeboard better.

I don't doubt that, but that's a result of factory prop offerings which are all 15" and the boat has a more aggressive reduction.  If someone were to make the weight hauling sacrifice, a steep 14" prop would have a fine ski wake.

Now I'm going to prove it.  =)

To the OP's point though, he is looking at older ones, so the 2016 issue doesn't matter too much.  

85, I will trade props with you if you want to make sure.

Just now, oldjeep said:

I'd suspect that your shaft angle is steeper as well unless the did something to the hull to get the bigger prop to fit.

It's my understanding that shaft angles have never changed and there is still but one strut in use because changing the shaft angle could only be accomplished by a different angle vdrive (we know that's not the case) or mounting the engine at a different angle (sure doesn't seem to be the case).  My understanding is the shaft is marginally longer.

Just now, asnowman said:

To the OP's point though, he is looking at older ones, so the 2016 issue doesn't matter too much.  

85, I will trade props with you if you want to make sure.

what are you running snowman?  I doubt you'd want mine because without the reduction it would be hard to swing (and mess up your wake :biggrin:).  When your water gets hard tho and if I haven't tried one around here, I'll hit you up and pay shipping?

HAHA! you got it.  You realize shipping is a plane ticket, and I buy the drinks!

I'm actually on my way to the boat shed now to get it ready to go in the water.  Sadly its still in winter storage. 

Just now, asnowman said:

HAHA! you got it.  You realize shipping is a plane ticket, and I buy the drinks!

I'm actually on my way to the boat shed now to get it ready to go in the water.  Sadly its still in winter storage. 

That's a bad deal for you :lol:

When winter rolls around, deal....except for the whole plane ticket thing. ;)

check what prop you have if you don't mind.

i have a 1939 on there right now. have been looking at changing it out anyway. 

Had to move the hard water re-locator (aka, snowblower) out of the way to find out.

3 minutes ago, 3sport said:

I run the high altitude 1235.

smaller diameter and when combined with less reduction, its still an even more "efficient" speed prop than the 2016 offerings.  

I'd love to try a 2003 or 417...1939 is more shallow than the 15 x 17.750.  

Snow, if you do replace I'd give it a go if you trusted me and buy if was a good match,

85,  I will keep that in mind.  Having trouble even getting it cleaned up and fluids done cause its so hot out.  Wish i had done this back in April

33 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

@85 Barefoot you can't receive private message.

appears my membership expired...I'll get on that

22 minutes ago, asnowman said:

85,  I will keep that in mind.  Having trouble even getting it cleaned up and fluids done cause its so hot out.  Wish i had done this back in April

did you say because it's "so hot out"?  In Maine?  TRADE YOU!

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

did you say because it's "so hot out"?  In Maine?  TRADE YOU!

Yeah, i'm more of a winter person. It's like 95 degrees and humid, it's a little hot for me to be working on the boat in the driveway. If I was chasing buoys, that would be different

4 hours ago, asnowman said:

The 2016 is listed as being 200 lbs heavier than our 2011 is, and i know i notice the difference in the ski wake at 34 mph when there is one extra person in the boat.  That 200 lbs has to make a difference.  Our local ski shop orders a new vtx every year, and though i haven't yet been out in this years, they have told me without a doubt the 16 doesnt ski as well for the average person, but it does surf and wakeboard better.

Listed as 200 more, according to my dealer last fall it is more like 400 more.  Definitely supposed to surf better which seems to be the desired industry trend.

Wells,

I also have a camp in Bridgton on Long Lake. If you are willing to wait until the end of the season, buying Harry from SunSports VTX would be a great option. I bought a boat off Harry last year (his personal boat, not the shop boat), and he takes great care of his stuff and the guy who services all of his boats is top notch. Good luck.

• 4 years later...

What I want to know is if it is just my wife and me in the 20VTX with surfgates:

1- will it create a big enough surf wake to enjoy, or do you have to get the add-on fat sacs?

2- my wife is 5'5", will she have to stand up to see over the bow to drive while surfing due to bow rise?

I have a Tige 20i now and I don't want to get a different boat unless I know for sure it will do the trick.

I must say, I will miss my mid engine boat for skiing, the boom for teaching and barefooting.  What is the top end on the VTX in order to barefoot?

Can you really get 10 adults in that boat?  I think it is rated for more than that.

Edited by OKIESRB
Auto correct
ahopkins22LSV
16 hours ago, OKIESRB said:

What I want to know is if it is just my wife and me in the 20VTX with surfgates:

1- will it create a big enough surf wake to enjoy, or do you have to get the add-on fat sacs?

2- my wife is 5'5", will she have to stand up to see over the bow to drive while surfing due to bow rise?

I have a Tige 20i now and I don't want to get a different boat unless I know for sure it will do the trick.

I must say, I will miss my mid engine boat for skiing, the boom for teaching and barefooting.  What is the top end on the VTX in order to barefoot?

Can you really get 10 adults in that boat?  I think it is rated for more than that.

You will need the rear plug n play bags to get a great wave out of the boat. They are plumbed in though so no pumps or anything over the side. And I still have storage space available on top of them even with them full. 

My wife is about the same height and with the power seat all the way up and the flip up bolster, she can see just fine. No standing.

Top end with the M5 and standard prop on my 2020 is about 40.

Ten adults would be super tight, but yes you can do it. Pack light and try to bring only one cooler. We frequently have 6 adults and 4 toddlers.

I did a deep dive review of our 202 that may help any other question here too:

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 10:58 PM, YeagBU said:

h2oJunkie

I am also new to this site and recently purchased a 2012 VTX with the 350 monsoon. I am going to drive it for a bit in its current state but with everything I own will be looking at nods to improve power and functionality. Any recommendations for a. 2012 VTX that I should look at off the bat?

On 7/19/2016 at 9:34 PM, h2ojunkie said:

We have a 08 VTX   Have done about everything w this boat.  PM me for contact and further info if ya want.   Great boats. Can be adapted and mods for multiple uses and handles great.  We love ours.  850hrs and counting