Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sportster for wakesurfing

phantom

On 8/6/2016 at 6:41 AM, Roachie said:

That's awesome! I have a 2003 Sportster and would like to try this. What are you using for a surf gate? Please post a pic if you can.

I wont be able to get to my boat for awhile to take a pic but mine looks like this one

https://www.google.com/search?q=wakesurf+shaper&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=1017&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0zZfc76_OAhVT3mMKHfSFBh8Q_AUICCgD#imgrc=uEPCvQwcMSdGxM%3A

On 8/6/2016 at 6:41 AM, Roachie said:

That's awesome! I have a 2003 Sportster and would like to try this. What are you using for a surf gate? Please post a pic if you can.

edit

Edited by phantom
23 hours ago, iwam said:

Awesome! Glad you figured out going rope less.  I hear the wedge is what really kills gas mileage.

Yeah the wedge does kill the gas but the convenience of a wedge can turn the boat into wake surf machine. Yet I dont know I can surf cheaper than on my sporty. A whole day of riding for under 30 bucks is pretty awesome. Ive always thought I wanted a big wakesetter but the thought of throwing 100 a day for surfing is pretty expensive. If Tesla ever makes a electric wake boat, I think Im all in. Also my buddy rode on the wake and said he went on a cruise ship that had a surf machine and he said it was a better feeling than the ship's machine. Going ropeless felt incredible, thanks again for all you guys input!!  

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

i tried to post up a google link on my reply and I just noticed it did not show up, I think the moderator doesnt allow links on this forum, I will be at my boat early next week and try to send you a pic

Is this it?

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/isaacroach/media/photo_zps27veqtim.jpg.html

photo_zps27veqtim.jpg

Edited by Roachie
Fix photo
4 hours ago, iwam said:

That's basically what I made

zIMixaG.jpg

Yeah thats like mine, I really like how you made it mostly out of HDPE. Hows your surf gate working out, mine is a built more angled than your 90 degree surfgate. Also where do you place yours? Im more towards the rear

5 hours ago, Roachie said:

Yep that is basically mine, you will go ropeless using this contraption. 

I've only used it for one outing, it worked pretty darn well.  Requires extra ballast though, in my opinion.  Placed it in the far back so it is completely under the water line.

I just wanted to give an update, I just tried an imitation ronix eight.3 wake shaper, it looks like a triangle but it did produce a longer wake for me. It is bulkier than the wake shaper I was using but it made a nicer wake in my opinion. Let me know if anyone else has used different wake shapers and your opinions on which works best. I haven't tried the wood one that sticks to the teak platform yet either. I would assume that would work best because it is basically at the farthest rear of the boat which is what they recommend putting the wake shaper at

yeah,   lol , that wont work.... wrong dimensions ( im  truly blonde) haha.  Ive decided to uy the wake surf edge for 215.   

• Like 1