Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Post your Surf Pics and Vid's here........

Stevo

ahopkins22LSV

We were fortunate enough to get to surf in Lake Michigan two weeks ago on vacation:

DFBED667-FC6D-42B1-B758-2A550559141B.jpg

B1B25E0B-C649-4E71-AB06-8B2A1A00CE84.jpg

And just a quick video from in Lake Michigan. Water is sooooooooooooooo clear.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

We were fortunate enough to get to surf in Lake Michigan two weeks ago on vacation:

DFBED667-FC6D-42B1-B758-2A550559141B.jpg

B1B25E0B-C649-4E71-AB06-8B2A1A00CE84.jpg

And just a quick video from in Lake Michigan. Water is sooooooooooooooo clear.

I lived in Chicago more than 20 years ago. It was long before I started boating. Do a lot of people use the Lakes (Lake Michigan) to wakeboard and surf? I just remember seeing a lot of sailboats and cruisers.

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, bbattiste247 said:

I lived in Chicago more than 20 years ago. It was long before I started boating. Do a lot of people use the Lakes (Lake Michigan) to wakeboard and surf? I just remember seeing a lot of sailboats and cruisers.

Mainly cruisers and sailing but my parents cottage has an inlet to Lake Michigan and we got a decently calm two days and took advantage of it. It was pretty cool to have an endless lake.

9 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Mainly cruisers and sailing but my parents cottage has an inlet to Lake Michigan and we got a decently calm two days and took advantage of it. It was pretty cool to have an endless lake.

Wow, 

is that a T22? 

46 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

14117850_10208939525258353_8408722452896

my son yesterday.  One of those amazing days where the lake glassed out all day long.

That water color is awesome!  Looks like Hawaii.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I took a week off from the 360 and practiced riding backside and tried a few transfers. Monday I was back at the 360. It is getting better. Really hoping to land one before the end of the season. If I had to guess, I must be between 75 and 100 attempts at this point.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Ok, so I took a week off from the 360 and practiced riding backside and tried a few transfers. Monday I was back at the 360. It is getting better. Really hoping to land one before the end of the season. If I had to guess, I must be between 75 and 100 attempts at this point.

It's definitely an improvement, keep at it.

ahem....Your driver is giving up on you, that throttle is being cut before you are out the back.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Stevo said:

It's definitely an improvement, keep at it.

ahem....Your driver is giving up on you, that throttle is being cut before you are out the back.

Ya, my mom got a talking to about that after I watched the footage. I don't actually think it impacted my attempt, but my feelings were hurt that she has given up on me completing it. :cry:

EA593E5D-0D7B-4F8B-8C2A-B259EA25A6E7_zps

Pearled the board but came out if it and I liked the pic.  Thought I'd show everyone the crystal waters of the Sacramento River, lol.  So clean it clogs my pitots in no time. 

• Like 3

Ok, here are my attempts from yesterday. I removed a couple fins from my board (it was set up as a quad) it seems to be spinning a lot faster now which is helping.

If I can just get one before the season ends, I will be thrilled.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Raimie said:

Ok, here are my attempts from yesterday. I removed a couple fins from my board (it was set up as a quad) it seems to be spinning a lot faster now which is helping.

If I can just get one before the season ends, I will be thrilled.

I've never done one but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you need to travel another foot closer to the boat before you start the rotation.

Working on the airs with the new Soulcraft board.

Not the most graceful from this weekend but it was the most air caught on video. Stompin' it.

F6ADCAC3-08AC-4AF2-BF5E-4A26473E271F_zps

I think I need to push my front foot down to bring the back of the board out of the water more. You really need to bring your knees to your chest.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Josh4mc said:

Working on the airs with the new Soulcraft board.

Not the most graceful from this weekend but it was the most air caught on video. Stompin' it.

F6ADCAC3-08AC-4AF2-BF5E-4A26473E271F_zps

I think I need to push my front foot down to bring the back of the board out of the water more. You really need to bring your knees to your chest.

You actually need to let your back foot come up more. Your feet are in the way of letting the board come out of the water. The board can only go as high as your feet. 

Also, you're trying to jump off the middle of the wave. Wait til you get to the lip

• Like 2

@wakemitch Thank you for the feedback! Half the time my back foot comes completely off the board then lands off center but my front foot is still in contact with the board. That's what led me to think I need to push my front foot down once in the air. 

I didn't even think about your second point. That could be a #gamechanger. 

@wakemitch  great photos!  Love your style man.  All your photos make it look 'how it's supposed to look'.  :thumbup:

@Raimie You're doing a great job turning your head.  Most people (that I've watched learn 3's) forget that over and over.......they're so caught up with "throwing" the 3 around harder instead of simply turning their head.  You turn your head perfectly every time.  AND that keeps your body position nice and calm when you come around.  At this point the only advice I can give is to keep working on keeping those shoulders back as much as possible when you initiate it.........that's the reason you're being carried back in the wave.  When you get weight out over that edge of your board, it's fine at first.......but as soon as that board turns to 90* with weight out there....the wave just lifts you up and takes you back (because your board is tilted and you're giving the wave a giant surface to push against).  Keeping your weight back keeps the board flat in the water.  Keep going!  You've almost got it!   EDIT: Maybe try just using one hand to initiate it, whichever one you feel most comfortable with..... that will keep more of you centered over the board..

Edited by -BS-
  • Like 2