Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Isn't there a bonehead moments thread?

isellacuras

I think my low point bonehead moment was at Powell a couple years ago.  With water levels dropping every day during the late summer, it is helpful to reposition the houseboat every few days so you are not left high and dry.  Well, i disconnected the ropes from the anchors on shore, let them hang in the water, and proceeded to back the boat off the beach.  Before i knew it, i had wrapped BOTH ropes around BOTH outboard engines.  i was suddenly floating, not anchored to shore, and unable to power the 75' boat.

We figured it out with luckily no damage or injuries, but total stupidity.  My kids like to remind everyone of this story.

• Like 2

Thankfully here in our state, "readily accessible" means in a locker or under a seat that isn't locked, and is not under a bunch of equipment. It needs to be on top. Meaning... don't fill 1000lbs of fat sack on top of your life vests. lol 

I do keep our throwable at my feet under the helm. 

Everything else in our boat is organized into smaller tupperware containers and in an assigned spot.

12 hours ago, kdspindl said:

I think my low point bonehead moment was at Powell a couple years ago.  With water levels dropping every day during the late summer, it is helpful to reposition the houseboat every few days so you are not left high and dry.  Well, i disconnected the ropes from the anchors on shore, let them hang in the water, and proceeded to back the boat off the beach.  Before i knew it, i had wrapped BOTH ropes around BOTH outboard engines.  i was suddenly floating, not anchored to shore, and unable to power the 75' boat.

We figured it out with luckily no damage or injuries, but total stupidity.  My kids like to remind everyone of this story.

I did that on the first trip on our new houseboat.  But only to one MerCruiser.  I still remember the squeal of the motor as it stalled out....

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2016 at 5:02 PM, G-Mack said:

Living on right now on my Chev 3500HD Dually.  Replaced  an inner hub seal and was rushing, decided just to jack the truck up to lube the hub. Not enough oil made it into the hub and I seized the inner hub bearing. Truck is in the shop waiting for a whole new axle as the bearing spun on the stub shaft and welded to it....... $6000.00 later on my $30 seal job.

First time I have messed up a job on my own stuff... still feeling a bit raw..... leaving on vacation next week... still wondering if we have a tow vehicle.....

Well truck wasn't done in time so the day before our vacation I bought this bad boy.... 

2016-Ram-2500-HD-Laramie-Limited-4x4-pla

Man it tows our 15000 lb 5th wheel like a champ...... the 800 lb-ft vs the 660 of my Duramax made a huge difference. there were some great deals in my area..... $20,000 off and 84 months 0% financing!  MSRP was $90,000.... guessing a Ram 3500 Limited is $65-70 in the US.

2008 Chev 3500HD LTZ with 65,000 miles and clear Ohio title will be up for sale next week.... many new parts:)

Drove off with the anchor once. lol. What a bonehead move. It's amazing how distracted you can get with tons of screaming kids on boat.

Hint, you don't get very far dragging an anchor.

Edited by Sride