Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Isn't there a bonehead moments thread?

isellacuras

Ok, reading all these brings back more memories...  One time In my old I/O I was waiting for my ex to park - I usually just idle around waiting then nose Ito the dock and we head off.  This day I decided it would be OK to step out and wait on the dock, so I nosed in, gave it a rev in reverse to stop, then stepped off the front holding a mooring line - only to see the (empty!!) boat was still in reverse and pulling away from me.  Tried to hold it for a second the realised I had no hope so literally launched myself over the water to just hang on to the side.  Clambered in and saved the day - could have been worse, but soooo embarrassing lol.:Doh:

And then there was the time we decided to take our jet skis out for one last blast as we never used them.  Did a quick start at home - all good, so headed to the ramp.  Got to the ramp and launched - dual trailer so we would take turns riding them off, so another start.  Parked the car, came back and off we went.  For about 100 meters. My ski developed some major problem, and kept going into limp home mode.  Tried checking everything I could think off, but it was taking time so me ex turned hers off - and started drifting (tidal river).  Asked her to come over and tow me back to the ramp - by now a long way away!  Only hers wouldn't start!!  Battery has said enough!!  Too many starts without a recharge!  So I had to limp over to her and then struggled all the way back to the ramp!!  Sold them shortly after that!

Which reminds me of another one - again with the jet skis.  Again we used to take turns riding our skis on while the other waited at the winch.  I was coming in and onto the rollers.  The ex hooks on the winch strap and winds in as I gentle idle in.  At the stop she says all good - so I switch off - and rapidly start defending the trailer! She forgot to lock the ratchet on so the winch handle was whirling around - so she tries to grab it!!  Massive bruises - how she didn't break her hand/arm is unbelievable...

How about some driving bonehead moves?  I pulled one this weekend, paying attention and everything.  We were heading up to a beach island.  After cruising for a little while, I slow the boat down to a steady pace as we arrive.  Couple old 34 foot cruisers plow by, I take the waves no problem.  One gets a little closer and I let off the throttle as I enter the wake!  Felt like a tidal wave over the bow.  Luckily there wasn't much water overall, but the carpet was soaked in the front and the in-laws sitting in the bow.  Here I am after saying to myself "Why the heck did I do that, I just took 20 waves identical to that one, and this one time I let off the throttle"!!  Frustrating!  It was a hot one out so the carpet dried right away. 

Edited by saxton15
18 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

How about some driving bonehead moves?  I pulled one this weekend, paying attention and everything.  We were heading up to a beach island.  After cruising for a little while, I slow the boat down to a steady pace as we arrive.  Couple old 34 foot cruisers plow by, I take the waves no problem.  One gets a little closer and I let off the throttle as I enter the wake!  Felt like a tidal wave over the bow.  Luckily there wasn't much water overall, but the carpet was soaked in the front and the in-laws sitting in the bow.  Here I am after saying to myself "Why the heck did I do that, I just took 20 waves identical to that one, and this one time I let off the throttle"!!  Frustrating!  It was a hot one out so the carpet dried right away. 

Why the heck? Because the in laws were in the bow! :biggrin:

• Like 3

In the 80's with my first boat, 17' IO, left the plug out whhile launching, didnt know until water everywhere.  Dove in put in the plug.  The water was coming up on the motor, was barely able to move the boat. Luckily the bilge worked was able pump it out.  With my new axis (5 hrs on it)last year, was having trouble parking the boat at a lake house, getting traction with the truck. So I unplugged the trailer plug thinking it wold release the brakes.  The truck and trailer started lurching backwards, thankfully my son was able to reach in and stab the brakes. Like what else has been said, we have a routine, and if we stick to it generally the outing goes without a hitch.

Fun thread to read.  As I am going through it, I am checking off "yep, done that before"  "nope, not yet".

Here is a not me story.  We were coming into our houseboat at the slip at Lake Powell.  Our neighbor have their stern drive tied up to the back of their houseboat.  It is sitting WAY low in the water, auto bilge is pumping like crazy.  I quickly tie up our boat, knock on our neighbors front door.  They have 5 of their adult children who came to the lake a day before mom and dad, and they have the boat.  I tell them, "not sure if you noticed, but your boat is riding pretty low in the water with the bilge running.  Not trying to be a know it all, but did you remember to put the plug in".  Their answer was awesome - "what is the plug?".  I explain what it looks like, and they don't know where one is, so I give them my spare.  They don't know where it goes, so I get into the water and put it in for them.  Turns out they launched the boat over 30 minutes before I got there.  The boat had a good 4" of water above floor.

Mom and dad still thank me everytime I see them at the lake.

• Like 2
On 6/27/2016 at 9:02 AM, PeteOOXXOO said:

Which reminds me of another one - again with the jet skis.  Again we used to take turns riding our skis on while the other waited at the winch.  I was coming in and onto the rollers.  The ex hooks on the winch strap and winds in as I gentle idle in.  At the stop she says all good - so I switch off - and rapidly start defending the trailer! She forgot to lock the ratchet on so the winch handle was whirling around - so she tries to grab it!!  Massive bruises - how she didn't break her hand/arm is unbelievable...

CP_ykE4UcAAnkAM.jpg:large

My wife cleared the weeds for us two weeks ago: I tie up to a mooring post for easy in and out when not in the lift. I was climbing in the back of the boat after pushing out to go surf when I asked her to put it in gear. She turned around in the swivel seat and knocked the throttle to full. The water there was about 24" deep, now its more like 36". I cant believe she didn't damage the prop. She tossed me and all three kids to the floor. That 2419 gets moving quick.

Today was a rough one.  Kids were whiney and annoying all morning while I cleaned my fish tank, mowed the yard, got everything ready to take them out on the boat for the afternoon.  Get to the launch, boat in the water, park the truck, son gets in the boat and while the daughter is whining about getting in I bump the pier with my hand holding my phone and sploosh it's on the sandy bottom.  I jump in (with my shirt on and no Sperry's) grab it dry it off for a while but it was too late. Phone is done. I always set my phone between the window and the dash while I prep to drop in.  Not today! $200 later I have a new phone on the way.

I'll add.  Our driveway isn't steep but it is  long gradual hill.  Every year in the spring I have the boat home for 3-4 days doing spring cleaning/maintenance(yes I do my oil changes before the season).   I had done my engine maintenance, compounded/waxed, cleaned all my vinyl and all that good stuff.  Hooked up to the boat, removed the wheel chocks, pulled it down the drive and turned it around, let the water drain out and then backed it back up the drive.  I was almost done!!!!   All I had to do was vacuum the thing out.  

Unhooked the boat, moved the truck into the garage, got back in the boat with my shop vac, cranked the tunes and started vacuuming.  

I was going to town vacuuming the boat when something didn't feel right.  I stood up to see that the boat was rolling down the driveway.  OOPS, I forgot to chick the tires.  Keep in mind that across the street is my neighbor's plush fescue lawn.  All I could think was this damn boat is going to roll down the drive across the street and break off the tongue jack and be stuck in my neighbors yard.  

I jumped out while the boat was rolling, dragging a drop cord down the driveway, I thought there is no way I can stop this.  All I could think was I have to turn it somehow.   I managed to put enough side pressure on the platform to get the tongue to turn enough to drop off in my own yard.  The jack wheel plowed through about 30' of sod before it stopped. 

My first reaction was to take a pic of the boat and jack wheel trail in the grass and send it to my dad.  He died laughing at me and wont let me forget it.  

1 hour ago, NCVride said:

I'll add.  Our driveway isn't steep but it is  long gradual hill.  Every year in the spring I have the boat home for 3-4 days doing spring cleaning/maintenance(yes I do my oil changes before the season).   I had done my engine maintenance, compounded/waxed, cleaned all my vinyl and all that good stuff.  Hooked up to the boat, removed the wheel chocks, pulled it down the drive and turned it around, let the water drain out and then backed it back up the drive.  I was almost done!!!!   All I had to do was vacuum the thing out.  

Unhooked the boat, moved the truck into the garage, got back in the boat with my shop vac, cranked the tunes and started vacuuming.  

I was going to town vacuuming the boat when something didn't feel right.  I stood up to see that the boat was rolling down the driveway.  OOPS, I forgot to chick the tires.  Keep in mind that across the street is my neighbor's plush fescue lawn.  All I could think was this damn boat is going to roll down the drive across the street and break off the tongue jack and be stuck in my neighbors yard.  

I jumped out while the boat was rolling, dragging a drop cord down the driveway, I thought there is no way I can stop this.  All I could think was I have to turn it somehow.   I managed to put enough side pressure on the platform to get the tongue to turn enough to drop off in my own yard.  The jack wheel plowed through about 30' of sod before it stopped. 

My first reaction was to take a pic of the boat and jack wheel trail in the grass and send it to my dad.  He died laughing at me and wont let me forget it.  

Great job taking action to turn the boat and turning a potential disaster into a funny story where the only consequence is a rut in your lawn!!

Launched solo with no one else around to see this one. Get in boat which is backed in and straps unhooked ready to back off trailer. Fire boat up and put in reverse, start to back off trailer (about 2 foot) Look back toward truck and notice reverse lights on, truck is running. Talk about a heart rate increase, quickly put boat back up against bow stop and leave it in forward gear to keep truck in place. Jump out of boat and back in truck to put it in park.

What happened? As I backed trailer down ramp, I apparently put truck in neutral instead of reverse and just rolled down ramp.  Then when I went to what I thought was park, (1 click up from reverse) I actually put it in reverse set the parking brake as always and got out to launch. Luckily I keep my parking brake adjusted or the whole rig probably would have went in the drink as I pulled the boat into reverse to back off trailer. At least the boat would have been safe.

• Like 3
On July 2, 2016 at 0:28 AM, Rednucleus said:

Pics posted here or it didn't happen!!

I looked everywhere including my texts....cannot find it.  Wish I could. 

Had my first "well, this is how my boat is going to sink" moment this past weekend.

Doing a little sunset surfing, had a rider for one last set as the light went away. Fully sacked out. Full stock ballast, 750 in the port rear, 750 in the port side floor, 1000 bag in the bow.

Rider dropped, I came off idle to throttle, let the first big rollers pass. Turned, started to go through the second smaller rollers and didn't notice the cabin cruiser that had gone behind us just outside the empty cove we were sticking to, his roller added to mine and became a doubleup. Took a lot of water over the bow, which combined with the 1k bag held the nose down for the second roller to come over... as in over the windshield.

As soon as I saw what was happening I gunned it and turned left so the third and fourth rollers would hit the high side and not come in. Made it through without taking another chill dip. But I sooooooaked the boat. Thankfully got it all pumped out. 

My bonehead move... riding slammed in the weeds when it's getting dark and you can't see rollers until they're almost already on you. 

• Like 2
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:08 PM, Molarbu said:

Great stories, but the best part of this is I'm going to try to use the word bung instead of plug from now on!  When I get strange looks I will just say, "What, haven't you been to Australia?" 

Moral of the story: Before sticking your unit in, always remember to plug up your bung-hole!  Or bung-holes, if you have more than one.  :innocent:

We've (not I) already done the 'forgot the plug' thing once this year, and none of us with less than ten years' experience -- me more like 45.

Edited by Swivel
Mea culpa

Probably posted these in those other threads already, but I'll admit it again.

@isellacuras I have that exact same tailgate dent, but on my wagon...I had a full driveway and was backing the SUV down to hitch up the boat, which was tight up against the side of the house. I was watching house side intently while I backed in and felt that sickening crunch and stop as I backed the SUV into the car. It's sitting in my shop 5 feet away from me but I refuse to go take a picture. BTW glad your window survived! That would have been a much more immediate problem.

And like @Bigstic I had a runaway trailer/bodily harm scenario too. Our garage is just long enough to fit the boat, but only if we unhitch it and turn it around to push it in forwards...and put the tongue inside an open closet...between the studs and against the outer sheeting. So routine was to unhitch the boat at the 'top' of the driveway and walk it down the hill slowly by hand, then push it in once it leveled out at the garage mouth. Storm was rolling in, we were in a hurry and got a little too much speed coming down the hill. The boat was slightly turned and ready to take out one side of the garage door frame, so I put the only soft thing I had between the boat and building in the .03 seconds I had to react--my body. The soft area just inside my outer pelvis right up against the door frame with ~4000lbs of boat and trailer and gear pushing against my back and squeezing to a stop. Took about 10 minutes of walking it off and wheezing before deciding I didn't do any internal damage and need to go to the ER. Shut the garage door just as the wind and rain started.

Did you know that if you leave the transom straps on, you can actually float the trailer?  And, if it is windy, you will drift everything towards the dock?  I do.  Now.

Edited by RyanB
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, ibelonginprison said:

Had my first "well, this is how my boat is going to sink" moment this past weekend.

Doing a little sunset surfing, had a rider for one last set as the light went away. Fully sacked out. Full stock ballast, 750 in the port rear, 750 in the port side floor, 1000 bag in the bow.

Rider dropped, I came off idle to throttle, let the first big rollers pass. Turned, started to go through the second smaller rollers and didn't notice the cabin cruiser that had gone behind us just outside the empty cove we were sticking to, his roller added to mine and became a doubleup. Took a lot of water over the bow, which combined with the 1k bag held the nose down for the second roller to come over... as in over the windshield.

As soon as I saw what was happening I gunned it and turned left so the third and fourth rollers would hit the high side and not come in. Made it through without taking another chill dip. But I sooooooaked the boat. Thankfully got it all pumped out. 

My bonehead move... riding slammed in the weeds when it's getting dark and you can't see rollers until they're almost already on you. 

Dang that had to make you weak in the knees for a few minutes!  Glad it came out ok!  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jk13 said:

Probably posted these in those other threads already, but I'll admit it again.

And like @Bigstic I had a runaway trailer/bodily harm scenario too. Our garage is just long enough to fit the boat, but only if we unhitch it and turn it around to push it in forwards...and put the tongue inside an open closet...between the studs and against the outer sheeting. So routine was to unhitch the boat at the 'top' of the driveway and walk it down the hill slowly by hand, then push it in once it leveled out at the garage mouth. Storm was rolling in, we were in a hurry and got a little too much speed coming down the hill. The boat was slightly turned and ready to take out one side of the garage door frame, so I put the only soft thing I had between the boat and building in the .03 seconds I had to react--my body. The soft area just inside my outer pelvis right up against the door frame with ~4000lbs of boat and trailer and gear pushing against my back and squeezing to a stop. Took about 10 minutes of walking it off and wheezing before deciding I didn't do any internal damage and need to go to the ER. Shut the garage door just as the wind and rain started.

Ouch!?

On July 2, 2016 at 10:25 PM, NCVride said:

My former brother in law did something similar. The guy always had a scheme going. Insurance fraud, Craigslist "trade ups", growing pot in their barn (for reference the pot was crappy or I would have let this one slide). After a life of idiocy and crime he is now a corrections officer, which is ironic to me. 

We were visiting my wife's parents with the new baby one day and he came by to borrow father in laws garage to do a brake job. Well he forgot the whole "pump the brakes when you are done" step and let a 4 door Mazda roll off of jack stands. So he hits the brakes and the car doesn't stop. A smart man would have pumped them, a less smart man would have tried the e-brake or let that car roll up the grass hill right behind the driveway (this is out in the country). However this man decided to get out of the moving car and try to stop it.

He couldn't stop it. In fact he tripped, fell sideways and both axles of the car ran him over face down in the dirt driveway. While he is recovering from the near death experience he looks up to see that while he jumped out of the car he turned the wheel. The car is now careening toward the only other dwelling in a quarter mile: the neighbors garage. It knocked the garage off the foundation!

the best part? After the doofus explained all of this to us all (we were laughing uncontrollably as he was fine) he turned around the go clean up the tools and there were two perfect tread marks on the back of his winter coat...

8 hours ago, Swivel said:

Moral of the story: Before sticking your unit in, always remember to plug up your bung-hole!  Or bung-holes, if you have more than one.  :innocent:

We've (not I) already done the 'forgot the plug' thing once this year, and none of us with less than ten years' experience -- me more like 45.

drain plug sensors on the new VTX...!!!! what a saviour

17 hours ago, DUKENO1 said:

Dang that had to make you weak in the knees for a few minutes!  Glad it came out ok!  

It helps that I know that these things rarely truly "sink to the bottom in a matter of minutes." lol But yeah I was rethinking that wave for a while.  Hell, I still am. It really was one of those freak things that happened at the wrong moment.

Thankfully - it was just the force of the water that brought it over the windshield, and not necessarily the fact that I took on 3,000 gallons in less than 2 seconds. lol

Also - this is a good moment to remind everyone that you should always have your extra vests EASILY ACCESSIBLE and tell your passengers where your life vests and flotation devices are so you don't have to describe it in a serious time of need. I'm pretty level headed when stuff gets serious, but I don't know that I could have tried to save the boat, and also turned around and said "ok, all spare life vests are under port side, rear corner seat cushion, right there - please grab one and evacuate the boat."  I show any new folks where the life vests are at the start of the day, and all my friends/regular passengers already know. So if I ever have to say "life vests and bail!" it's an immediate thing, and I don't have to think about it. 

• Like 2

I had one at the ramp this past week. Starts off with me backing the truck, trailer & boat down until the truck rear wheels are well into the water. I left the truck in low and set the parking brake as I'm jumping out of the truck all in an effort to be quick on the ramp because, if you can get in and out real fast, you are "the man" in your own mind! So, as I'm simultaneously setting the parking brake and jumping out of the truck the parking brake cable "pops" and the brakes subsequently fail. I of course slip and fall as I exit the truck on the slimy ramp and the truck, trailer and boat continue to roll further into the water (Low gear alone apparently doesn't keep you from rolling backwards on a boat ramp). After flailing around in the water like a squid for a few moments I somehow manage to get to my feet, jump into the cab and push the brake with my hand just as the water starts to enter the front door of the cab.  After that I was able to put the truck in park then remove most of the truck back out of the water as it should have been without most of the bystanders actually appreciating what could have happened.

After the fact my wife asks if I meant to put the truck that far into the water. She being on the other side of the boat I had no idea that I had actually slipped and that our entire setup was rolling into the water.

Only damage: ego

Edited by jgates237
  • Like 3

Local law here is that vests must be readily accessible, and in most cases, you'll be ticketed if they are under seats or in lockers.   They crows up the cabin trying to keep things legal, but I could also see the need to have them out in an emergency.  

My bonehead story involves dumping my mom into the water.  It was the first day we had our VLX.   We took delivery in the fall and caught a nice 70 degree day on October 30th to go for a ride.   I was failing miserably to back the boat off the trailer and as we were drifting off, I screamed at my mom that the boat wouldn't run and to grab the trailer so we could pull back out.  She stretched to grab the trailer from the bow, but fell into her waist.   Luckily, she wasn't hurt at all.    Sadly, I realized the reason I was failing to get the boat off the trailer was because the little knob under the throttle was pulled out, preventing the transmission from engaging.  

So far, we've never forgot our bung plug.  Now I'm probably cursed.....

Edited by hethj7
6 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Local law here is that vests must be readily accessible, and in most cases, you'll be ticketed if they are under seats or in lockers.   They crows up the cabin trying to keep things legal, but I could also see the need to have them out in an emergency.  

We have 3 LEO jurisdictions on my local lake (Sacramento county, el dorado county and California state parks). I asked two of the three about this law of "readily available", including my throwable. They're response was jackets in the locker and throwable in the observers compartment are fine. I wanted to be proactive to find out about this. I took down their names so in the event I was pulled over by their counterparts, I could explain to them that I had asked about it prior. I keep my throwable in the gunnel behind the panel by the drivers helm (in front of the throttle) since it frees up space under the observers compartment but jackets stay in the hatch and under the seats now. This is my local lake so your results may vary. 

Edited by isellacuras