Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Head unit issue?

On 6/21/2016 at 8:11 PM, NCSurfing said:

Hey guys.  Didn't put this in the stereo section because I think it's an OS issue however, have any of you had an issue with your RF head unit - Viper OS,'15 LSV? Regardless of battery switch location, at random the stereo power just cycles on/off/on/off and the only way to get it to stop is shut the boat down and the battery switch off. Can't come close to expressing how annoying this is. Any ideas? If not, can one share how to flash the system - perhaps it needs an upgrade or a reset?

Mist likely a 7" screen issue.

On 6/28/2016 at 5:30 PM, ID AX said:

Just talked to my dealer.  Malibu authorized a new MTC screen based on the steps we've taken.  Dealer had them overnight it and will come pick up my boat to install it tomorrow. :rockon:  Fingers crossed 

Any update on this?

I was able to get a new one from Malibu. Should be in tomorrow and I am going to install it myself... Reason is we are 4 hours away from the dealer we work with. Malibu said installing a new one is as simple as unscrewing it from behind and unplugging/plugging new one in. Hopefully it works!

45 minutes ago, ponderosasurf said:

Any update on this?

I was able to get a new one from Malibu. Should be in tomorrow and I am going to install it myself... Reason is we are 4 hours away from the dealer we work with. Malibu said installing a new one is as simple as unscrewing it from behind and unplugging/plugging new one in. Hopefully it works!

Yes, sorry, I have had the new screen in for a couple weeks and no issues since.  

• Like 2
On 7/20/2016 at 4:21 PM, ponderosasurf said:

Any update on this?

New screen fixed my issue

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Finally took my 2015 Malibu in for winterization a couple weeks ago. I got the call that they are replacing the entire screen unit. They mentioned that certain serial numbers had problems. It will be fixed by spring. 

Just thought I would post that info for anyone who finds this thread in the future.

MOE

• 5 months later...
On 11/13/2016 at 1:28 PM, MOEinMpls said:

Finally took my 2015 Malibu in for winterization a couple weeks ago. I got the call that they are replacing the entire screen unit. They mentioned that certain serial numbers had problems. It will be fixed by spring. 

Just thought I would post that info for anyone who finds this thread in the future.

MOE

Picked up my boat from the dealer today.... and guess what? Same f'ing problem.

I asked the tech at mn inboard if it was fixed. "Yes it was". Awesome...  see video.

Im so annoyed right now!

MOE

On 4/15/2017 at 2:26 PM, MOEinMpls said:

Picked up my boat from the dealer today.... and guess what? Same f'ing problem.

I asked the tech at mn inboard if it was fixed. "Yes it was". Awesome...  see video.

*video*

Im so annoyed right now!

MOE

I'm not defending Malibu or MN Inboard, but I would guess that nobody touched the 7" display. I'm sure you know, the 7" display has the computer in it and the 12" dash is a second monitor attached via a cable. If the behavior is the same as last year it's either got to be the same unit is still in your dash or there is something wrong outside of the dash.

Make MN Inboard show you the warranty paperwork with the serial numbers of the 7" units that they swapped. There is a serial number (and Windows license) sticker on the 7" unit. There's no way that Malibu is going to ship a 7" screen/computer unit around without recording the serial number. If it's warranty work you should also be able to call Malibu support, give them your hull number, and they can tell you what parts have been swapped by the dealer/covered by your warranty.

If the 7" display/computer was swapped and the problem is exactly the same I would start looking at the "black box" RFX-6000 as a possible culprit. I would lean on the dealer to get another RFX-6000 from somewhere to swap in to see if the problem goes away.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same volume issues as some of the other guys here. My volume has jumped to max on its own a handful of times since I've bought the boat new in 2015.

When the volume spikes, I lose volume control everywhere in the boat (7 " screen, sport knob, MUX switch, rear transom controller).

The only way to fix it was to power everything off, wait a couple mins, power everything back up. All good for a while.

I did have an issue with the blower fan and rear transom remote wires being zip-tied too tight from factory. The dealership re-tied these and haven't had issues with the blower since.

There is slight condensation on my rear transom control, which may be causing the stereo issue, or the previously pinched wiring could be to blame.

Will be calling a dealer today about this, and will try other troubleshooting tips next time I get to the boat.