Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Factory RF Stereo- SD, USB Interface question

ORMailbuboater

43 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Is your BT that bad that you don't use it?

Link. Which connector does it use?

A1. It seems like it, but I may have a bad amp. I have so much white noise coming through the in-boat amp that I can hear it over the engine at idle with the volume down and it's driving me nuts. I'm going to try swapping out the factory amp for one I've got sitting around (that I know is good) and see if there is any difference.

A2. Page #4 of the linked manual, 2nd connector from the right labeled: Digiport 2 (Opt. IPODEC/RFX33SD)

The contact number is 574-970-8335.  Honestly I never tried BT yet.  The cable has been working great so I just never even tried BT.  Next time on the boat I will try BT to compare sound difference.  

• 3 months later...

ctvandy23:

Would you recommend the new cord from Patrick Industries?

Is it still working?

What Iphone are you using?

On the boat's screen, what does it show you and allow you to do?  Is it like a car stereo where you can search your music etc.?

On 10/10/2016 at 6:37 AM, Setter2016 said:

ctvandy23:

1) Would you recommend the new cord from Patrick Industries?

2) Is it still working?

3) What Iphone are you using?

4) On the boat's screen, what does it show you and allow you to do?  Is it like a car stereo where you can search your music etc.?

My two cents.

1)  Cable does work from Patrick Industries but...  Attaches in the glove box.  You will still need to use the Ipod, Iphone to search and change music.

2) Bought the cable after using BT all summer.  Not done a detailed listening session comparison.  Casually the sound quality at least in my boat is the same for most low level listening

3) Current Generation IPod (lighting connector), IPhone 6S.

4) Same poor functionality on the Malibu screen.    Displays the Artist, Song, time.  No search capability.  Need to use device to make changes easily.  I will continue to use BT mostly.   Will set up IPod in glove box and leave it for random music.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater
On 10/10/2016 at 9:37 AM, Setter2016 said:

ctvandy23:

Would you recommend the new cord from Patrick Industries?

Is it still working?

What Iphone are you using?

On the boat's screen, what does it show you and allow you to do?  Is it like a car stereo where you can search your music etc.?

@Setter2016 yes I would still recommend it even though at times it's a bit spotty.  Sometimes the system doesn't seem to recognize the cable, but for the most part it worked.  I use the iPhone 6 & 7.   Like @ORMailbuboater said no search capability.  I'm not sure sound is better but definitely louder then BT.  I routed mine from the RF BB to underneath the helm.  I don't use it from the glovebox.  

On 6/17/2016 at 4:52 PM, Ronnie said:

Mine shows USB as a connection option which is the glove box connection. The USB under the phone holder is just power and a port for updating software AFAIK. I haven't tried the USB in the dry box by the throttle.

after my last outing having the software update come through the USB under the phone is PURE IDIOT MOVE; i cant charge my phone without loosing functionality of the touch screen... the software update USB should be in the glove box where nobody would use it... stupid not being able to charge my phone when its on the holder without running a wire across to the dry box...

may have to d a winter re-wire if it looks easy to just put a stupid standard powered USB charger there and run that one over to the dry box area or something...

anyhow verizon wants my Note 7 back anyhow so we'll see if the next phone causes problems being plugged into that USB maybe i'll get lucky and whatever new phone i get wont cause those issues... 

Weird, I charge every outing with the port by the holder while using BT to stream music.  I am not sure why using that port would cause screen issues.  It's dumb that port can't read my phones music but charging is fine for me.