Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower or windshield mount mirror?

NCSurfing

@ORMailbuboater that was stock?  When did you get your boat? Mine came with one that screws on and I can't pull myself to do it.  Not to mention there isn't much frame to hold a screw anyway.  Was there a line item for it on your purchase?  I just spent $200 to buy a PTM clamping one.

21 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

@ORMailbuboater that was stock?  When did you get your boat? Mine came with one that screws on and I can't pull myself to do it.  Not to mention there isn't much frame to hold a screw anyway.  Was there a line item for it on your purchase?  I just spent $200 to buy a PTM clamping one.

Yes this was stock from Malibu.  Maybe a mid production change.  I just took delivery of my June 3rd last Friday.  May 11 start build date.  Mirror was part of the original order to Malibu.  

Understand your dilemma with drilling and screws.  Does not sound right to me for a new 2016 window frame  but I cannot verify that. 

You ordered the mirror on the original build sheet?   Or was the mirror furnished by the dealer?  

Edited by ORMailbuboater
13 minutes ago, wakedncsu said:

It is funny how encamped everyone sounds for their chose placement.  I feel the same as you @boardjnky4 except I won't ever go back to the windshield.  LOL

Same here.... tower mount on a 4 legged tower. Super solid, out of the walk thru, great visibility.

I can't stand the 2 legged tower mounts though. The thing bounces all over the place. Sux.

I feel like many of those who are completely against the windshield mount are referring to the stock cipa mirror screwed into the windshield frame.  Yes this is awful and in the way.  Most those who like the windshield mount are referring to the PTM mount and mirror that puts it up a good 3-4 inches above the actual windshield, folds down out of way easily, etc.. I absolutely love my PTM mirror and mount but hated the stock cipa.  Never had a tower mounted one and can't with the G4 so I don't know I am or not missing there.

Thanks.  I am really torn on this subject, been lurking on this thread and the multiple camps aren't helping! :)  .  I have just purchased a '16 LSV with the crap CIPA mounted on the pass through.  My wife and I both hate it.  I had the tower mount from Bakes on my '08 VLX and liked the viewing angles but disliked hitting my head on the tower mount more than once.  Not sure what direction to go here..... (first world problems for sure).

17 hours ago, jclarkhall12 said:

Thanks.  I am really torn on this subject, been lurking on this thread and the multiple camps aren't helping! :)  .  I have just purchased a '16 LSV with the crap CIPA mounted on the pass through.  My wife and I both hate it.  I had the tower mount from Bakes on my '08 VLX and liked the viewing angles but disliked hitting my head on the tower mount more than once.  Not sure what direction to go here..... (first world problems for sure).

I can assure you, you will not "hate" that PTM mirror.  You may like the tower mount better for this reason or that, but the one you linked looks good and functions perfectly.  I've never used a tower mounted one but the 2 negatives I've seen on here (hit head and vibration from tower)  would have me never going that route.  I think they look cooler but I'm a function over form guy. 

I have the PTM mirror on the tower arm and I do not have a issue with hitting my head on it.  I have it centered over the drivers side windshield, so it is out of the way of the walk through.  The arm is long enough on a G3 tower that the mirror is held well over the dash and the windshield.  The arm is very stable and there is very little vibration, this is also not an issue.

G

I had the tower mount that came on the G3 for my first two boats and thought Id hate the window mount when I got the G4.  Honestly at first I did, until I moved it over to the opposite side, I have found that I like it more.

On June 3, 2016 at 9:16 PM, NCSurfing said:

Which do you guys have and are you happy?  My '15 came with the windshield mount and I am not a fan. Looks forced, doesn't give me a large view and is a bit too loose for me. That said, buying a tower mount is $499 which is a chunk of change and I don't want to spend that and be disappointed. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience/thoughts...

Tower mount is the way to go.  Get the Edge mirror as well

On 13 juin 2016 at 0:29 AM, jclarkhall12 said:

+1 for me and my wife

One thing to consider is where your speakers and board racks are.  I switched to the tower PTM Edge...love the mirror, but on my boat, the speakers and racks block my view of my rider once they get out wide, like landing bigger air.  Because of this I still have to turn around to see if they busted it!

So some are stating the new Malibu's are coming with a clamping version (not sure if its PTM or not).  I have asked my dealer what Malibu is providing and he has sent an email to the factory.  I will report back what I find.  

I recently bought the PTM model from Amazon and it works fine.  The view is wide enough to see the tower legs so wider would not equal better.   I hate how it folds though.  Unless I'm doing something wrong, you have to take the bolt out to lift/fold it.  Going to play with it this week but overall I like it b/c I didn't have to drill holes and it was $199 not $499 for the tower.  

Oddly, if you do the 'mirror finder' from the PTM website, they only show the milled aluminium one as being compatible with the Malibu.  Not sure why, its just a clamp.  Here is what I got.  https://www.amazon.com/Edge-PCC-100-Mirror-Bracket-Combo/dp/B00G3LH1IY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1466007783&sr=1-1&keywords=PTM+Mirror

22 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

So some are stating the new Malibu's are coming with a clamping version (not sure if its PTM or not).  I have asked my dealer what Malibu is providing and he has sent an email to the factory.  I will report back what I find.  

I recently bought the PTM model from Amazon and it works fine.  The view is wide enough to see the tower legs so wider would not equal better.   I hate how it folds though.  Unless I'm doing something wrong, you have to take the bolt out to lift/fold it.  Going to play with it this week but overall I like it b/c I didn't have to drill holes and it was $199 not $499 for the tower.  

Oddly, if you do the 'mirror finder' from the PTM website, they only show the milled aluminium one as being compatible with the Malibu.  Not sure why, its just a clamp.  Here is what I got.  https://www.amazon.com/Edge-PCC-100-Mirror-Bracket-Combo/dp/B00G3LH1IY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1466007783&sr=1-1&keywords=PTM+Mirror

Sure would like to buy from my local guys, but they don't stock this and the nice thing about Amazon Prime - it goes back no hassle if I don't like it!

58 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

One thing to consider is where your speakers and board racks are.  I switched to the tower PTM Edge...love the mirror, but on my boat, the speakers and racks block my view of my rider once they get out wide, like landing bigger air.  Because of this I still have to turn around to see if they busted it!

had this problem with my tower mirror on my '08 VLX too.  Doesn't feel like there is a perfect solution but I think I am going to try the PTM Edge and move the mounting around - seems like most folks like over the passenger window which makes a lot of sense.

37 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

There are different style mounts.   Mine does not require pulling any bolts.  There are two thumb screws.  One to fold the mirror and one for mirror angle adjustment.

My BU came with the ZXR 200 mount and the PTM Edge VR-140 Elite Mirror   vr-140-elite-mirror-mounted.png