Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

@saxton15 call smoothwater sports in new york, or the eastcoast flightcraft office in massachusetts. Either should ship it to you. 

I ordered mine through eastcoast last year, and recieved it in just over a week

9 hours ago, Ccceric said:

Still no word. How do you update the mtc?

The dealer should be able to flash the new software on it, or send you an USB stick with it.  

10 hours ago, Ccceric said:

Still no word. How do you update the mtc?

Theres a white USB plug on the back. Once you have the correct software on a USB stick you just plug it in and go to the update selection in the settings menu.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, jb 156 said:

That’s garbage I paid less than the core exchange program for a new screen.  

Me too. I got mine for $1300. Just hope it lasts.

I have to question the quality since my new screen won't turn on the front facing tower lights and the old one will.  I asked the dealer about an update and they said that the screens are shipped with the latest version of the software.  They then said that since I am not a tech I may have messed something up with the install.  I couldn't roll my eyes far enough!  Luckily I took videos of them working just by plugging in the old screen and not working with the new screen.  Their answer was to bring it in and see if their techs could figure it out, but I really think it is just a problem with the screen.  I may have to go that route though if I can't find a way to get the updated software myself.  

So now I need to find out what the current version of the software is, and find a different way to get the update on the stick without having to go through the dealer.  Any ideas?? Can it be emailed?

10 minutes ago, Ccceric said:

I have to question the quality since my new screen won't turn on the front facing tower lights and the old one will.  I asked the dealer about an update and they said that the screens are shipped with the latest version of the software.  They then said that since I am not a tech I may have messed something up with the install.  I couldn't roll my eyes far enough!  Luckily I took videos of them working just by plugging in the old screen and not working with the new screen.  Their answer was to bring it in and see if their techs could figure it out, but I really think it is just a problem with the screen.  I may have to go that route though if I can't find a way to get the updated software myself.  

So now I need to find out what the current version of the software is, and find a different way to get the update on the stick without having to go through the dealer.  Any ideas?? Can it be emailed?

My contact said they are shipped with a default software and have to be updated to the correct software for the boat it is being installed in.

• Like 3
On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎19 at 5:42 AM, jgates237 said:

Me too. I got mine for $1300. Just hope it lasts.

What's the difference between the core program and the cheaper screens?  

9 hours ago, Ccceric said:

Don't want the current SW update, need the correct one for your year and model boat. My local dealer gave me a USB stick with correct uploaded info. Worked great. I installed it last summer to make sure it worked then pulled it out and put my old one back in till it fails. Old one is delaminating bad but still fully functions. I take the new one in the box on long distance trips and keep it in the cabin in case I need it. Local lake it is close to home so I'll just go home and get it if needed. Will be a 5 minute swap when needed.

21 hours ago, saxton15 said:

What's the difference between the core program and the cheaper screens?  

Cheaper screens are no longer available unless you find a dealer that has 1 in stock.

Core program was put in place because many of the components in the screens are no longer available. Core charge is added to encourage people to return the old screen so the components that are NLA can be removed, tested for function and then used to make new functioning screens to make sure replacements are available in the future. Once the old screen is returned the core charge is refunded.

22 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

My contact said they are shipped with a default software and have to be updated to the correct software for the boat it is being installed in.

Found out the default software shipped in them is for 2014 models.

So the $300 is only returned if your old screen is brought in?  So say I want to get a replacement but don't want to lose any time on the water, I can order a new screen through a dealer, once they receive it and flash it with the right software, I can bring my old one in?  

8 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

So the $300 is only returned if your old screen is brought in?  So say I want to get a replacement but don't want to lose any time on the water, I can order a new screen through a dealer, once they receive it and flash it with the right software, I can bring my old one in?  

That is my understanding Sir.

38 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Found out the default software shipped in them is for 2014 models.

This seems to be the case I checked mine this morning and it is SmartTouch 2014 V3

37 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

That is my understanding Sir.

That works for me.  I was going to wait until the fall, but if I don't lose any weekends, I'm happy.  

Kind of sucks though, my screen is still functioning, but it is delaminating.  Replacing it doesn't guarantee me a defect free screen, so in a few years I may be have the same issue.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have a deposit on a 2013 and they just found that the MTC is on it's way out. They are going to order a new one. we will see how long it takes...

Second thought... I am a bit of a nerd, but not enough of one to fully vet this. Has anyone thought about putting together a Arduino/micro controller project to see if a somewhat acceptable alternative is available. I think it would be tough to mimic the user interface directly, and the code would be huge compared to other MC projects, but I would bet it could be done with some reverse engineering, a multi-meter, and patience. In thinking about how the screen works, I don't think the logic would be super complex (I would not think there would be a lot of "if/then" arguments, just a lot of inputs and output statements, across multiple screens). The other issue would be finding a screen that could hold up to the elements/heat/sun.

I would assume between that and 3D printing, a readily available solution could potentially be found with a little luck, the right person, and enough time.

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, rakr said:

I have a deposit on a 2013 and they just found that the MTC is on it's way out. They are going to order a new one. we will see how long it takes...

Second thought... I am a bit of a nerd, but not enough of one to fully vet this. Has anyone thought about putting together a Arduino/micro controller project to see if a somewhat acceptable alternative is available. I think it would be tough to mimic the user interface directly, and the code would be huge compared to other MC projects, but I would bet it could be done with some reverse engineering, a multi-meter, and patience. In thinking about how the screen works, I don't think the logic would be super complex (I would not think there would be a lot of "if/then" arguments, just a lot of inputs and output statements, across multiple screens). The other issue would be finding a screen that could hold up to the elements/heat/sun.

I would assume between that and 3D printing, a readily available solution could potentially be found with a little luck, the right person, and enough time.

Just a thought.

It makes my head hurt just thinking of what the programming would look like to cover all of the stuff the screen does.

5 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

It makes my head hurt just thinking of what the programming would look like to cover all of the stuff the screen does.

I actually don't think it would be that complicated.  There aren't many (any??) CAN-BUS items that the screen controls.  It's really just turning relays on and off (sometimes with timers.)  

First-time poster here. I purchased a '14 22MXZ this winter and it had a single small bubble on the MTC display. it slowly grew to multiple bubbles and as of yesterday, its become a 1/2" solid bubble that wraps from left to top to right.Boat has approx 190hrs on it, its been stored in an insulated garage throughout my ownership and I've only noticed the bubbling to worsen while it sits in storage, never during a weekend on the lake in the sun. All of my touch functions seem otherwise unaffected thus far, but from what I read I'm just on borrowed time. Lots of good info on this page of which I am very appreciative of. Date code on my display is 7/29/13 so i'm sure its the original. Has P/N 6913-00503-01 on it. I just wanted to chime in as another person with the same display issue. I'm sure I'll be tracking down a dealer for a replacement in the near future.

Edited by colthard
On 6/29/2018 at 3:12 PM, 23LSVOwner said:

Depending on the year there are actually quite a few CAN items it controls.

Correct. Like the paddle wheel/temp sensor and the depth transducer. And they arent on the touch screen.

1 hour ago, colthard said:

First-time poster here. I purchased a '14 22MXZ this winter and it had a single small bubble on the MTC display. it slowly grew to multiple bubbles and as of yesterday, its become a 1/2" solid bubble that wraps from left to top to right.Boat has approx 190hrs on it, its been stored in an insulated garage throughout my ownership and I've only noticed the bubbling to worsen while it sits in storage, never during a weekend on the lake in the sun. All of my touch functions seem otherwise unaffected thus far, but from what I read I'm just on borrowed time. Lots of good info on this page of which I am very appreciative of. Date code on my display is 7/29/13 so i'm sure its the original. Has P/N 6913-00503-01 on it. I just wanted to chime in as another person with the same display issue. I'm sure I'll be tracking down a dealer for a replacement in the near future.

Did you purchase this from a dealer? If so I'd be on the horn with them right away. If you have a warranty that may be an option as well. 

I just picked up my boat this weekend, there will be another few posts about that one in a bit, but back to the task at hand... After using it for about 5 hours this week, and seeing all of the stuff that MTC and Maliview does, I am getting worried about all of the things that these two devices manage. My VTX is a 2013, low hours, but what will we be doing in 10 years if there are ongoing issues with MV and MTC if Medallion is no longer manufacturing the devices? I hope between Malibu, Medallion, and the boating industry in general, they have thought about a 20 year old boat with all of this advanced hardware and the possibility of supporting it in 2030... sigh...

My cousin is still rocking his 1987 SN 2001, AKA "The Dance Nautique", and while it is a dinosaur compared to what we are driving today, it still gets the job done year after year with little to no issues.

48 minutes ago, jgates237 said:

Did you purchase this from a dealer? If so I'd be on the horn with them right away. If you have a warranty that may be an option as well. 

i did not. purchased from an individual. oh well, risk you take when buying from an individual i suppose. not too bent up about it yet. 

39 minutes ago, rakr said:

I just picked up my boat this weekend, there will be another few posts about that one in a bit, but back to the task at hand... After using it for about 5 hours this week, and seeing all of the stuff that MTC and Maliview does, I am getting worried about all of the things that these two devices manage. My VTX is a 2013, low hours, but what will we be doing in 10 years if there are ongoing issues with MV and MTC if Medallion is no longer manufacturing the devices? I hope between Malibu, Medallion, and the boating industry in general, they have thought about a 20 year old boat with all of this advanced hardware and the possibility of supporting it in 2030... sigh...

My cousin is still rocking his 1987 SN 2001, AKA "The Dance Nautique", and while it is a dinosaur compared to what we are driving today, it still gets the job done year after year with little to no issues.

another member made mention of that earlier in this thread as well. whenever malibu ends support and/or supply of parts, more than likely there will be someone in the aftermarket step forward with replacement options/repair possibilities. in an emergency situation, most all circuits can be manually enabled by moving fuses to the bypass position in the power modules under the dash. i was tinkering around with mine last night doing some troubleshooting on my power wedge. i figure the only thing to fear is the time gap from when malibu tells us we're SOL until the aftermarket steps up. hopefully someone out there sees the need for some of our stuff and gets a head start on it. only time will tell i suppose.