Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

18 hours ago, saxton15 said:

I've spent countless hours searching with that part number, using different combination of search terms etc and still nothing to show for it.  The LCD portion is clear, but the digitizer/glass cover is not easy to find.  Let's assume you could find these pieces individually, what would it take to laminate them back together?  That sticky stuff you are referring to is the epoxy that seals the units together.  I believe that is also the cause for the bubbling.  Another thing I've noticed after pulling my boat out last weekend.  My screen never gets worse in the summer.  Only in the winter usually after I open it up for the year do I notice a small increase in the bubbling.  So it's not heat related.

Saxon, yes the problem we face is with finding the digitizer/glass cover. I don't know if the issue here is finding one that specifically goes with the LCD or, if we need one that goes with the underlying board. I say this because the ribbons from both the LCD and digitizer connect to the underlying board. The digitizer may just have to be the right size to work with our LCD as the two don't have any electronic connection but both do connect to the board below.

I've searched the number that is on the ribbon but no joy in locating anything. I keep hoping I'll stumble across something that breaks this case wide open! It's now become personal as I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a new unit. The season is almost upon us (yes, I live up north) and I don't want to leave my boat in the garage for much longer although, my handicap is dropping fast!

Ha @jgates237 We're not too far from each other. I'm up on the river near A-Bay.  

The search continues for me.  These fixes are much cheaper alternatives, but we're not entire sure if it will rectify the problem in the long run.  My hope is that the batch we all have just had a bad manufacturing run, and the replacement screens have their kinks worked out.  Bakes is now selling them as well, and I may just order one as a backup.  

I just replied to Tina Fu who I assume is somewhere in Asia. She's at Wisdom Parts Unlimited. We'll see where this takes us. 

A-Bay you say? Ever find any calm water up there? Every time I go up there it's a bit insane. Lot's of go-fasts ripping around but it is beautiful. I just stay on my small lake however I've been hankering to go somewhere else just to change things up.

After thinking about it a bit more, Saxon could very well be right in that the cause of the bubbling my be from the adhesive that is used to join the lcd, digitizer and the casing together. The adhesive has the digitizer basically fixed to the plastic box but the lcd doesn't have anything supporting it so eventually the weight and the jarring could be pulling the separating the LCD from the digitizer. Just a hypothesis...

Which would explain why it's not happening in the middle but mostly to the corners first.  I'll take a look at mine this weekend, might rig up a brace to hold it in place. 

We have a cottage on Wellesley Island, so we are right between both channels in Lake of the Isles.  We surf there, but do a lot of exploring.  It's definitely big water boating. 

I conceded and purchased a MTC from Boulder Boats. So depressed...but I still may tinker with my dissected unit when I got the time (Ha, like I have the time!). Ever seem like everything you own breaks down at the same time? 

If anyone ever locates the elusive AA065VB07 LCD and touch panel combination please let me know and I'll give it a go. 

Edited by jgates237
spelling
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

I've been on these pages and have also reached out to Davan Display to try and determine which digitizer matches with the AA065VB07. The issue as I see it is the ribbon coming off of the digitizer has to be the right one to connect to the underlying board which by the way is a Medallion product. So I'm not sure if any old 8.5" digitizer will work on our 6.5" LCD. When looking at the digitizer sites I see all sort of ribbons and the one we need is about an inch wide. 

Yes, Saxon is correct as we'd have to join the parts together. 

After digging deep all over the internet, I've just accepted that I need to bow out of the DIY solution.  I'm going to bite the bullet this fall and order up a new one as a backup.  Group buy anyone?

• 5 weeks later...

So I purchased a 2000 1124 seven and before delivery the screen started messing up. They replaced the screen for me, And I also picked up the key switch since the 11s didn’t have one. They refused to give me any instructions or tips as to how the key switch is wired. Is there anybody here that can help me with that?

On 5/15/2018 at 4:05 AM, saxton15 said:

I'm going to bite the bullet this fall and order up a new one as a backup.  Group buy anyone?

Count me in

Theres a core exchange program for these screens now. Should save you some money. Check with your local dealer.

MEDALLION 6.5” SCREEN DISPLAY
CORE CHARGE PROGRAM

CAUSE:
The OEM production of 6.5” LCD screens used in legacy non-touch and touch display boat models ceased in late 2014. Since then
the supply of these displays has become both scarce and increasingly costly. Redesigning the display to use a different LCD integrated to
work with the boat electrical system and dash has proven impractical for field retrofit, although efforts will be ongoing to develop this
solution. In the meantime Malibu boats and Medallion Instrumentation Systems have implemented a display remanufacture program to
avoid any shortages.
DISPLAY:
The display assembly consists of several components: PCBA, housing, LCD, touch controller (Smart Touch display only) and bonded
glass or cover. Typically, failures occur between the LCD and bonded glass or cover. Of these components, the LCD itself presents the
opportunity for a recovery process as Medallion has determined that based on typical usage, there is substantial life left in the LCD.
CORE CHARGE PROGRAM:
Medallion will recover components from the returned “core” including the LCD. The recovered components will then be cleaned,
inspected, and assembled with a new touch controller, bonded glass or cover as applicable. These remanufactured displays will proceed
through the normal Medallion manufacturing process and pass the same controls and tests that are currently in place.
The recovery and remanufacturing process of the returned “cores” will ensure Medallion retains sufficient inventory to meet the
service requirements moving into the future.

Out of Warranty
1. Dealer orders replacement display through Malibu
2. Dealer pays Dealer Price including Core Charge as listed
3. Dealer requests Return Authorization from Malibu for display core return
4. Dealer is required to fill out Medallion return document (included with new replacement display) before sending display core to Malibu
5. Dealer pays shipping and sends display core along with completed Medallion return document to Malibu
6. Core charge is refunded to dealer upon return of core display and completed Medallion document
Under Warranty
2. Warranty claim is submitted through Malibu for parts, core charge, and labor
3. UPS return tag issued through Malibu warranty claim process
4. Dealer is required to fill out Medallion return document (included with new replacement display) before sending display core to Malibu
5. Dealer sends display core along with completed Medallion return document to Malibu
6. Core charge is refunded to dealer upon return of core display and completed Medallion document

Edited by COOP
14 hours ago, COOP said:

Theres a core exchange program for these screens now. Should save you some money. Check with your local dealer.

MEDALLION 6.5” SCREEN DISPLAY
CORE CHARGE PROGRAM

CAUSE:
The OEM production of 6.5” LCD screens used in legacy non-touch and touch display boat models ceased in late 2014. Since then
the supply of these displays has become both scarce and increasingly costly. Redesigning the display to use a different LCD integrated to
work with the boat electrical system and dash has proven impractical for field retrofit, although efforts will be ongoing to develop this
solution. In the meantime Malibu boats and Medallion Instrumentation Systems have implemented a display remanufacture program to
avoid any shortages.
DISPLAY:
The display assembly consists of several components: PCBA, housing, LCD, touch controller (Smart Touch display only) and bonded
glass or cover. Typically, failures occur between the LCD and bonded glass or cover. Of these components, the LCD itself presents the
opportunity for a recovery process as Medallion has determined that based on typical usage, there is substantial life left in the LCD.
CORE CHARGE PROGRAM:
Medallion will recover components from the returned “core” including the LCD. The recovered components will then be cleaned,
inspected, and assembled with a new touch controller, bonded glass or cover as applicable. These remanufactured displays will proceed
through the normal Medallion manufacturing process and pass the same controls and tests that are currently in place.
The recovery and remanufacturing process of the returned “cores” will ensure Medallion retains sufficient inventory to meet the
service requirements moving into the future.

Out of Warranty
2. Dealer pays Dealer Price including Core Charge as listed
3. Dealer requests Return Authorization from Malibu for display core return
5. Dealer pays shipping and sends display core along with completed Medallion return document to Malibu
Under Warranty
2. Warranty claim is submitted through Malibu for parts, core charge, and labor
3. UPS return tag issued through Malibu warranty claim process
5. Dealer sends display core along with completed Medallion return document to Malibu

WTF!! I just paid for a new screen and these SOBs finally come out with an exchange option. Sorry for the rant... Anyone have an idea what the cost is going to be? 

Edited by jgates237
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:05 AM, saxton15 said:

After digging deep all over the internet, I've just accepted that I need to bow out of the DIY solution.  I'm going to bite the bullet this fall and order up a new one as a backup.  Group buy anyone?

Gave it my best shot as well. I conducted an exhaustive search for the replacement LCD and digitizer but to no avail. Uncle...

15 hours ago, Ccceric said:

So I purchased a 2000 1124 seven and before delivery the screen started messing up. They replaced the screen for me, And I also picked up the key switch since the 11s didn’t have one. They refused to give me any instructions or tips as to how the key switch is wired. Is there anybody here that can help me with that?

I installed the backup key ignition in my boat this spring, DM me I can send you the install instructions.  It's straight forward, toughest part is probably fishing the wire through the stringer and even that was simple.  

FWIW, I think anyone with a 2011 should install the backup key.  Even with the new screens exchange program etc, its still a good idea to have a dedicated backup.  There's a reason why in 2012 they added them permanently.  

Edited by saxton15

Mine can from Tommy’s in Denver, luckily I just bought the boat from another dealer and they were nice enough to spring for the screen. It is one from the exchange program and the cost was around 1800 of which 300 will be reimbursed. The bummer is that as soon as it was installed my forward facing tower lights stopped working. Plugged in the old screen and they came on so I know it is a screen problem. I’ll have to call them today. 

Thanks For the replies on the key switch.  I’ll send over my email address now. I can’t believe they didn’t send along a single sheet of paper along with the ziplock bag of wires. 

15 minutes ago, Ccceric said:

Mine can from Tommy’s in Denver, luckily I just bought the boat from another dealer and they were nice enough to spring for the screen. It is one from the exchange program and the cost was around 1800 of which 300 will be reimbursed. The bummer is that as soon as it was installed my forward facing tower lights stopped working. Plugged in the old screen and they came on so I know it is a screen problem. I’ll have to call them today. 

Thanks For the replies on the key switch.  I’ll send over my email address now. I can’t believe they didn’t send along a single sheet of paper along with the ziplock bag of wires. 

I think you just need to update your software. When I powered up my new screen is showed surfgate, transom lights, and a couple of other items that my year with options didn't include. Once I uploaded the sw compatible with my year everything worked 4.0 and it didn't rreflect the surfgate etc.

To understand you correctly, Malibu is only going to reimburse you $300 out of the $1800 for the new touch screen? 

Edited by jgates237
2 hours ago, jgates237 said:

WTF!! I just paid for a new screen and these SOBs finally come out with an exchange option. Sorry for the rant... Anyone have an idea what the cost is going to be? 

We got the core exchange info on May 9th.

My understanding is that the total price was 1800 and then 300 will be reimbursed. The selling dealer is paying for the screen so I am just going off of what the parts counter told me. 

How do you update the MTC?

Edited by Ccceric

Do the exchange program screens come with any warranty?

Also, any dealer members/contacts up here in the north east (Upstate NY) that can help me out with this?

Edited by saxton15