Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

11 hours ago, dwc032 said:

They already did. The Malibu’s with the 2016 and newer screens have had very little failures compared to the screens of the older Malibu’s. 

Just wait a couple years...  

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Malibu selected Medallion years ago and has stuck with them, probably because decent competition doesn't exist.  This is a Medallion problem, and lucky for Malibu, the other major vendors use Medallion also and have the same problems.

Correct Craft doesn't and other than some early teething issues, nowhere near the extent that Malibu had. Frnakly, for Malibus size you'd dhtink they would partner with Garmin or someone who does not have these longstanding issues.

29 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Done anything about it - like what?  Aside from paying 1900 last week to buy a new one, there isn't any recourse for people with boats that are out of warranty.   

Many have talked on here about class action lawsuit or building switches to replace the screen.  I personally think switches is what we need to look into but no one has posted back who said they were going to do it.  I want pictures and the how to make it happen.  We are all going to need it sooner rather than later.  Seeing the one person post that the dealer told them they are going to stop making these screens later this year will force this.  I believe COOP was going to find out if what the other person posted was true.  Bottom line is that the product was faulty and they should come up with a new screen that holds up and not charge 2K + for it.  It can't be that freaking hard as other people make waterproof touch screens all day..

33 minutes ago, JLT3 said:

Many have talked on here about class action lawsuit or building switches to replace the screen.  I personally think switches is what we need to look into but no one has posted back who said they were going to do it.  I want pictures and the how to make it happen.  We are all going to need it sooner rather than later.  Seeing the one person post that the dealer told them they are going to stop making these screens later this year will force this.  I believe COOP was going to find out if what the other person posted was true.  Bottom line is that the product was faulty and they should come up with a new screen that holds up and not charge 2K + for it.  It can't be that freaking hard as other people make waterproof touch screens all day..

People suggesting class action suits are idiots or lawyers who want to take the case to make money (eventually).  Consumers get next to nothing from class action lawsuits, and they stretch on for years and years and years.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if the newer made screens last longer or is it too soon to tell?  Mine is significantly delaminated and has a manufactured date of 2015 on the back, still working though.  Will buy a spare and store it.  Once these screens are no longer being made I will come up with another solution but not until that time.  If I keep the boat that long!

12 minutes ago, Sharpag01 said:

Does anyone know if the newer made screens last longer or is it too soon to tell?  Mine is significantly delaminated and has a manufactured date of 2015 on the back, still working though.  Will buy a spare and store it.  Once these screens are no longer being made I will come up with another solution but not until that time.  If I keep the boat that long!

I think in 2015 and maybe early 2016 there were still some known issues.  Past that, I'm not aware of any rampant issues.   

2 hours ago, justgary said:

Brand quality is a *big* deal.  Resale value is part of it, but frustration with perpetual issues can drive people away.  I had a GF who bought a new Chrysler LeBaron way back in 1978.  It had a whole bunch of problems that mostly showed up right after the warranty ran out.  In fixing them, I discovered a that the whole car was made of parts that were designed to be cheap and last 13 months.  Soon after that, the company was assembling cars from a crazy assortment of their acquired makes: Renault, Peugeot, Jeep, Fiat, Mercedes-Benz, AMC, and of course, their own stuff (which at one point, had you lifting the engine to change spark plugs).  Their styling generally looks great, but I have too many memories from 30 years ago to *ever* buy a Dodge product.  The point here is that negative biases can run deep, and when they get deep enough, they can't be unbiased.

Malibu selected Medallion years ago and has stuck with them, probably because decent competition doesn't exist.  This is a Medallion problem, and lucky for Malibu, the other major vendors use Medallion also and have the same problems.

Maybe.  But for every person who holds a 40 + year grudge, there are those who buy a true lemon, and then go back for more.  Care to talk about the Powerstroke 6.0 and 6.4, and the owners who had major problems with them, yet found their way back to the Ford dealership to buy another?

I'm unhappy about having to spend close to $5k in the last 7 years on a $90k purchase, when those screens are a known issue.  But if I were buying something today, I'd be at Tommys signing paperwork on a 25LSV.

Nope, I don't think Malibu cares about this, or will do anything about it, 8 years after the affected boats were manufactured.

Edited by RyanB
7 hours ago, RyanB said:

Care to talk about the Powerstroke 6.0 and 6.4, and the owners who had major problems with them, yet found their way back to the Ford dealership to buy another?

Sure!  I didn't buy a Powerstroke, but I did have the 5.4L with the "two piece" spark plugs.  I had plenty of trouble after I changed the plugs at 95,000 miles.  They never would really seat properly, and I kept having to loosen, clean, and retorque them every few months when I would smell gas after acceleration.  I had to repair three of the four power windows with a kit of my own design.  I had to fix a variety of other issues in my F150, and I'm in a new F150 now.  I'm certainly not drinking the F150 kool-aid, and I expect a few pesky issues to come up over the next few years, but I still see it as my best towing option.

I had the paint delamination issue on a 1992 GMC Safari, and by the time mine started to peel (it was garage kept), they told me that "the repaint program ended years ago."  That issue was caused by the government insisting that auto paint VOC levels had to change, and nobody knew how to paint cars properly for a while.

The grudge against Dodge came after I noticed a systemic, company-wide desire to just toss random parts together and call them a vehicle over many years.  Their continued policy of acquisition and merger put them in a position of always having to use subsystems that somebody else designed, and to my knowledge that has not ended.

I don't like it, but I understand when somebody makes an engineering choice that winds up not working out.  A long-standing policy of not making the quality better or trying to fix the root problem is worse than the actual problem.  I hear that Medallion/Malibu did make some changes around 2016 that seems to have changed the delamination issue.  The fact that they didn't step up and make everybody whole is indeed sad.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, oldjeep said:

People suggesting class action suits are idiots or lawyers who want to take the case to make money (eventually).  Consumers get next to nothing from class action lawsuits, and they stretch on for years and years and years.

Generally this is true, but the original plaintiffs might get a little better treatment than the also-rans in the case.  The other reason to bring such a suit is to keep the company from continuing their ways, and in this case it seems that they have already made a change.

I just purchased a 2013 vlx with a touch screen that is dim... what was the resolution you guys found for these screens? Did anyone go to the switches from the MTC? 

On 5/27/2021 at 12:37 PM, Sharpag01 said:

I have a 2011 23 LSV. First screen went out on my wedding day in 2016. New screen, which according to my dealer is the 'new' part number and mfg date in May 2016, has significant delamination and will quit soon, I am sure. Working on getting my 3rd screen now. I dis install the backup key so I feel a little better than I did in 2016, but it is still annoying.

6 hours ago, zornman said:

I have a 2011 23 LSV. First screen went out on my wedding day in 2016. New screen, which according to my dealer is the 'new' part number and mfg date in May 2016, has significant delamination and will quit soon, I am sure. Working on getting my 3rd screen now. I dis install the backup key so I feel a little better than I did in 2016, but it is still annoying.

I am pretty much in the same boat

2011 RLXI. first screen went with start buttom unresponsive replaced April 2015

Installed the manual key override switch shortly after

Second screen showing more delamination than the first but still responsive.

Dreading the replacement cost as I am watching the USD rate being down under to pick a preffered time to buy a back up.

I am a bit concerned the back up just sitting in storage may still delaminate.

If a crew member smarter than I comes up with a replacement panel with old style switches which is realtivly simple to plug in, I would along with many oithers be interested in a once & for all fix.

Could just sell the boat for a less painfull fix & change brands :Frustrated:

I’m putting my back up screen in a sealed, vacuum protected clean room style safe just to protect it..... lol.... it will probably still delam😏

On 4/22/2021 at 2:20 PM, Superk163 said:

Im just finishing up my MTC Bypass switches for 10 of the MTC functions in my 2013 VLX.  The output pins in the Relay boxes are easy to locate and access.  The Wedge and gate functions are more complicated but can be done. I just added switches for the most commonly used functions. I dint think Il ever justify spending $2500.00 for a crappy outdated unreliable poorly located touchscreen.  Il post more on the mod when I get more time.  

@superk163 did you post a thread?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 2:55 PM, COOP said:

Just putting this out there again. I have these screens IN STOCK. No drop shipping from Malibu. I find it odd that I get several messages a month about them, and yet no one wants to buy one. My price is the lowest you will find. Im $600 cheaper than Bakes, and yet no one ever wants to commit. 

So if you want/need one I have them for $1800 plus tax and shipping. 

Only message me if you actually want to buy one. Not trying to be salty, but to go back and forth with messages only to have people stop responding all together is getting old. 

Do you still have these in stock? 

• 4 months later...

I have been looking at a 2013 Wakesetter vtx, a beautiful boat with 220 hours , the screen is starting to bubble so after checking with Bakes marine a new screen is 3300.00 and that's now so if i get a screen now in 3 years when i need another one how much then or can you ever get one, i so much wanted this boat but I am going to pass. What a shame.

1 hour ago, kodyind said:

I have been looking at a 2013 Wakesetter vtx, a beautiful boat with 220 hours , the screen is starting to bubble so after checking with Bakes marine a new screen is 3300.00 and that's now so if i get a screen now in 3 years when i need another one how much then or can you ever get one, i so much wanted this boat but I am going to pass. What a shame.

Read from about this post on....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

Looking for a replacement screen if anyone is willing to sell:)

I would take a replacement unit that WAS working with minor delamination. Anything to get on the water.