Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

36 minutes ago, JOHN123456 said:

boat harness 16 pin connector located at engine

This probably refers to what is commonly called the "Cannon Plug."  On a Vee drive it should be port side, forward (near the transmission bell), probably on the cover for the ECM.

• 2 months later...

Well, not going to take the risk of our MTC going out on us. Here in Stockton ca the replacement is $2,063.50 plus 1/2 labor to install it. They said they have done plenty of these. Any tips or advice......I have a 2011 LSV , no surf gates.

Im just finishing up my MTC Bypass switches for 10 of the MTC functions in my 2013 VLX.  The output pins in the Relay boxes are easy to locate and access.  The Wedge and gate functions are more complicated but can be done. I just added switches for the most commonly used functions. I dint think Il ever justify spending $2500.00 for a crappy outdated unreliable poorly located touchscreen.  Il post more on the mod when I get more time.  

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Superk163 said:

Im just finishing up my MTC Bypass switches for 10 of the MTC functions in my 2013 VLX.  The output pins in the Relay boxes are easy to locate and access.  The Wedge and gate functions are more complicated but can be done. I just added switches for the most commonly used functions. I dint think Il ever justify spending $2500.00 for a crappy outdated unreliable poorly located touchscreen.  Il post more on the mod when I get more time.  

Cool! Did you keep a thread or anything on how you did it? 

On 4/22/2021 at 2:20 PM, Superk163 said:

Pics?

On 12/30/2020 at 9:33 AM, Chris said:

I thought I read somewhere that someone was trying to repair the touchscreen surface ? has anyone done that successfully? 

my 14 LSV has about a 1/2" delam on all four sides but still works. I'd like to resolve over the winter vs. have to give up water time later.

I'm assuming there is no reasonable option to replace with a newer model screen ? reading about people having to replace them more than once is troubling. 

I was the one who made an attempt at this but it didn't go too well.

I've dropped off following this thread for almost two years now after being totally committed to trying to find a reasonable solution. Several members have mentioned "class action suite" but does anyone know how one goes about starting one of those? On the surface it seems that the number of people being impacted and the costs to be recovered are minimal and perhaps not attractive to representation. Just a thought 

26 minutes ago, jgates237 said:

Several members have mentioned "class action suite" but does anyone know how one goes about starting one of those? On the surface it seems that the number of people being impacted and the costs to be recovered are minimal and perhaps not attractive to representation.

There was a class action lawsuit up here based on price fixing the cost of a loaf of bread. I got a $25 gift certificate as a participant.  The lawyers are the ones who made the big bucks.

I feel your pain.

Picked up a 2011 RLXI Jan 23, 2013 198 hours

Replaced the screen April 2, 2015 with 358 hours worked out to cost me $11.90 per hour of use

I have the delam to the same extent shown in your pic currently with 658 hours

Hoping to get another season as it will be close to $3500 AUD by the time I get one down under is Australia if I replace the screen now it works out to be $11.67 per hour of use

Odd way of looking at it but I wonder if others are getting simmilar hours in relation to the screen replacement cost.

Pitty Maliibu didn't promote the real running  cost of having to replace these screens every X hours. Guess it would not look good on their prtomotional material :)

Where did you pick up the screen for $2k

@Andrew63 Ping @COOP he hooked me up and can probably ship to you with insurance of course on the item.  He works for a licensed dealership and can get the latest screen for a pretty good price.  He is in Missouri and shipped to me in Texas.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my new screen to put in reserve until my old one actually fails. Dealer told me these would be discontinued and not manufactured after August of this year... can”t beleive that but wouldn’t surprise me!

20 minutes ago, HPskier1 said:

Just got my new screen to put in reserve until my old one actually fails. Dealer told me these would be discontinued and not manufactured after August of this year... can”t beleive that but wouldn’t surprise me!

So everyone better sell their boats that use this screen?  Guess I am glad I have a new one coming tomorrow.

31 minutes ago, HPskier1 said:

Interesting. I'll have check into this.

14 minutes ago, COOP said:

Interesting. I'll have check into this.

Hope it's not true!! Just passing along dealer info. Although it seems more and more common that older parts for these boats aren't available and they are built in such a custom way in relatively limited numbers the aftermarket probably isn't going to make parts like they do in the car market. Seriously considering going to something without all the cool gadgets... lovemmm but give me physical switches. 

Just for grins I am going to contact a couple companies who do delamination repair (not replacement) on things like macbooks.  To see if there is any chance that can be done on these screens.  You would think that Medallion or Malibu would setup some sort of repair service with a 3rd party, but maybe it isn't possible or makes no financial sense.

39 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just for grins I am going to contact a couple companies who do delamination repair (not replacement) on things like macbooks.  To see if there is any chance that can be done on these screens.  You would think that Medallion or Malibu would setup some sort of repair service with a 3rd party, but maybe it isn't possible or makes no financial sense.

I called several of the screen repair places last year before ordering a replacement to keep in my back pocket for my imminent screen failure. I couldn’t find anyone who said they would repair the screen. I hope you have better luck than I did. If you do, please share the info. 

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

You honestly think Malibu is going to step up now to help? They have been very unresponsive to the whole screen replacement issues from first day you are out of warranty. I have been one of the unfortunate ones to go through this debate with them. Only ask to sell my replacement to me at cost. That request falls on def ears. Pay retail or let your boat sit unused! Lucky they were only $1600 when I had to buy years ago. (ONLY HA HA!)

Edited by dalt1
39 minutes ago, Chia said:

What about switching to iPad controller?

https://www.czone.net/en/Solutions/Control/Wireless-Control

That bring up the question of course.... if my truck has a touch screen that doesn't delam, I pads don't delam, my surface pro doesn't delam, the ATM screen sitting in the sun all day doesn't delam why can't medallion make a screen that doesn't delam..... ;)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, HPskier1 said:

That bring up the question of course.... if my truck has a touch screen that doesn't delam, I pads don't delam, my surface pro doesn't delam, the ATM screen sitting in the sun all day doesn't delam why can't medallion make a screen that doesn't delam..... ;)

Well, some of the vehicle mfg have issues with delam screens, as do various iJunk.  The difference is that the replacement screens are avaliable.  (Screen only - not having to replace the entire radio/laptop/whatever)

That being said - I guess I should be good for another 9 years?

IMG_20210520_123245.jpg

Edited by oldjeep