Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command Issues

1 hour ago, jloven said:

I have  a 2013  TXI  and the medallion display screen finally died while I was out on the water. Had to be towed back in. The screen had been delaminating for a couple of years but all the functions still worked. Looking back, there were several times we had to power off and back on (reboot) to get it to turn on correctly. 
I called 8 different dealers yesterday. 2 were not open on Mondays, 1 didn’t have any idea about what screen I was needing even with part numbers, 2 quoted $2200 and 3 weeks delivery, and the last one had it in stock for $3900!  
At that point I went back through old emails and found a personal email for medallion. I explained what I needed with the part number and within an hour I was quoted $1100 for a replacement. Based on all the info in this thread and others, I decided this was the best deal I would find so I bought it. My part number was 6913-00430-01 rev D. The replacement is rev J, so hopefully it will be of a better quality. It will take 2 weeks to make and will be shipped out September 14. 
I like the idea of the switch panel and will definitely go that route if this one fails. 

Care to share the email or phone number you used?

Edited by oldjeep

This is interesting, 

One, Medallion (I've been told) doesnt sell to the public. 

Two, me and several other dealers have been waiting patiently for these screen to be back in stock. We've been told its a part supply issue and they cant even get an ETA as the parts come from overseas.

I checked just before posting this, Malibu still has none in stock.

4 hours ago, COOP said:

This is interesting, 

One, Medallion (I've been told) doesnt sell to the public. 

Two, me and several other dealers have been waiting patiently for these screen to be back in stock. We've been told its a part supply issue and they cant even get an ETA as the parts come from overseas.

I checked just before posting this, Malibu still has none in stock.

Medallion sells parts.  There have been a number of people on here who have bought things like gauge bezels, new digital displays and overlays, etc from them.  And their prices are very fair typically.

On 6/20/2020 at 7:20 PM, UWSkier said:

Find one with the updated version already replaced 

My boat has had just under 500 hours with average maintenance/detailing care and although my screen has always worked fine it does show significant delam on the sides and top (1/4+”).  By contrast, a good friend has the same year 247 lsv, with half as many hours, and it has a little delam showing (1/8” or so).  He owns a detail shop and this boat spends nearly every day of its life in that shop when he’s not running it.  It’s showroom condition and that’s no lie.  The screens will fail eventually, budget for it!  $2100 is about half my summer gas bill so you just kinda add it in!  +1 on getting the guy to lower the cost by $2100 if nothing else.  

I just got my new Malibu touch screen for my 2012 TXi from Medallion. Ordered it 3 weeks ago came today. $600 less than Bakes. And made to order. We ordered 2 because his went bad also.

Also good tech support

Edited by EdS
On 9/1/2020 at 6:54 PM, EdS said:

I just got my new Malibu touch screen for my 2012 TXi from Medallion. Ordered it 3 weeks ago came today. $600 less than Bakes. And made to order. We ordered 2 because his went bad also.

Also good tech support

I have a pampered 2013 VLX with only 235 hrs and have started having trouble with the MTC as well☹️ Curious who you talked with at Medallion?  I just called and was told they wouldn’t sell the screen directly to me and I would have to order through Malibu🤬

Lonnie

Hi All,

I am about to buy a 2015 22 VLX and reading this I'm worried about it now.  How prevalent is this LCD problem, is it just a matter of time or only a small percentage of boats have the problem.  Should I skip buying a Malibu or is this problem avoidable if I know what to look for? Thanks for any advice offered!

25 minutes ago, jazzvancouver said:

Hi All,

I am about to buy a 2015 22 VLX and reading this I'm worried about it now.  How prevalent is this LCD problem, is it just a matter of time or only a small percentage of boats have the problem.  Should I skip buying a Malibu or is this problem avoidable if I know what to look for? Thanks for any advice offered!

2015 is the year Malibu went to the 7 and 12 inch screen setup. They are much more reliable and de laminating issues are very rare. The screens discussed in this thread are from 2010-2014. 

@ahopkinsvtx  Thank you for the clarification. The fellow I’m buying from said the screen locks up very rarely but a restart fixes it and only happens once a month or so. 

Edited by jazzvancouver
1 hour ago, jazzvancouver said:

@ahopkinsvtx  Thank you for the clarification. The fellow I’m buying from said the screen locks up very rarely but a restart fixes it and only happens once a month or so. 

Few simple things to check that could resolve that is make sure it has the latest software, make sure your batteries always have a good full charge and make sure all battery and all ground connections are good. The screen will no perform well with low voltage or bad/loose connections. 

14 hours ago, jazzvancouver said:

I’ve got a 2015 and it still has the 7 inch screen( which is currently delam and I’m replacing) I don’t know if it worth worrying about because one way or another your going to put money in the boat. Sure 2k to replace a screen that shouldn’t have delam in the first place is a lot but something is bound to happen. I would check for no bubbles.... if it’s lasted this long maybe it’s fine

45 minutes ago, HPskier1 said:

I’ve got a 2015 and it still has the 7 inch screen( which is currently delam and I’m replacing) I don’t know if it worth worrying about because one way or another your going to put money in the boat. Sure 2k to replace a screen that shouldn’t have delam in the first place is a lot but something is bound to happen. I would check for no bubbles.... if it’s lasted this long maybe it’s fine

Your 2015 vtx has the older screen that suffers from delam, the 2015 22 vlx he is asking about has the newer touch screen.  I know the first versions in 2015 and 2016 had some glitches, but they have supposedly been worked out now through replacement or software upgrades.

Edited by calilsv

Just a quick update that I actually received the display from Medallion yesterday.  They have been great to work with and although the $1,100 was more than I wanted to spend for a touch screen display, it was a lot better than the $2,500 quoted from the dealer!  To recap, most of the dealers I talked with 3 weeks ago all said that Malibu did not have any stock and didn't offer any additional assistance other than wanting to sell me a new boat.  I called Medallion on the number listed on their website and was able to get in touch with Dawn ([email protected]).    Gave her the part number and she informed me that they would have to build it which would take 2 weeks.  Shipped out the 14th and got it the 17th.  Plan to install this weekend and should be back in business.  Hopefully this helps anyone who is also needing a Medallion display.  Before I purchase another one, I will just add a switch panel to do the same functions and use the key to start.  

• Like 2

Jloven,

Thank you very much for the information!  From your past post I see your ordered part #6913-00430-01. People with the VLX like me need part #6913-00503-01. So I wonder if this I why Medallion told me they couldn’t sell me my screen?  I have not called in to try and order your screen’s part#.  Maybe that is the difference??  Thanks again😁

Lonnie

Edited by LonnieJ
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 9:14 AM, jloven said:

Try this one:

[email protected]

This is what she used to email me the tracking number.  

Managed to get through & sent the model numbers of the screens replaced so far

The current screen model number replaced March 2015 starting to delaminate

6913-00503-01   Manufactured 11/03/14

The original screen model number delaminated & buttone un responsive

6913-00390-01 Manufactured Sep 2010

And received the reply below...

Thank you for your email. I am sorry but you will have to purchase part 6913-00503-01 from a Malibu dealer, they have this part under contract and we cannot sell it to the public.

Have a wonderful day!

Cheers,

Dawn Hunter

Customer Service Representative

What is the part number of the screen received from Medallian?

May be the same under a differenc tpast number they are allowed to sell?

My second screen had the surf gate buttons but I disabled them through the settings, would be suprised if they changed that much.

I love this... let’s all take a step back here for a minute and look at the totality of this situation. We’re all here with the same problem for a variety of model years and  being jerked around on price and availability. The issue is the screen manufacturer quality control or design.  Why aren’t we taking steps to file a class action suit again them?

• Like 2

Has anyone tried to work with Malibu directly on the issue?  Yes it is a quality problem and the boat owners should not be paying 2K every few years to keep the boat working.  Is the TXI one that much different from the VLX or LSV?  Why is that part 6913-00430-01 $1100 and the 6913-00503-01 2K?  Could TXI part number work for the other boats or maybe be an in-house part number that medallion is able to sell to the public?  Finally, how on earth is Malibu able to get away with this and not help the boat owners fix this for good.  I wonder how many boats are affected.