Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's new for 2017

Diesel86

16 hours ago, IXFE said:

^^^ looks like a gimmick to me. 

i don't need a computer program to tell me what the ideal setup of a wake/wave is. 

HAHA Me on the other hand would pay thousands to have a boat automatically fix itself for optimal wake.  Im sure all the people that dont get this dont wakeboard. 

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

HAHA Me on the other hand would pay thousands to have a boat automatically fix itself for optimal wake.  Im sure all the people that dont get this dont wakeboard. 

I agree with this 100%

20 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Yeah some trim tabs that fold down when you cut would be kinds sweet

49 minutes ago, KentC said:

I hope this makes sense as it does for me but I think it might be counterproductive and frustrating.

My first thoughts are that I try to switch it up and add weight, speed, plate, trim tab, whatever else they decide to bolt on back and the boat changes it back before I can see what the change is.  IE the damn thing keeps changing the set up after you get it dialed in.  I'm sure you can turn it off, but whats the point then?  

I got it for 99% of people it will help, but I think it would make be throw things and say bad words!  Quit messing with my **it you stupid boat!!!!!

I would look at it more like: You set what you like, which ultimately comes down to the "attitude" of the boat on each plane (x,y,z) plus the speed. So if someone moves from the front to the back the boat could either move water or move a trim tab. At least that is the way I hope it works. The main issue in my mind is that I dont know how it can control how much the boat "sinks" in the water, and that trim tab position affects the wake.

Might be fun to try though.

1 hour ago, 95echelon said:

The main issue in my mind is that I dont know how it can control how much the boat "sinks" in the water, and that trim tab position affects the wake.

There is a sensor (maybe multiple?) in this system that measures not only the XYZ, but also the level and angle of water in relation to the hull.  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, 95echelon said:

Yeah some trim tabs that fold down when you cut would be kinds sweet

Or just levels the boat so my wife can drive without being an expert, or if we have an unexperienced crew in the boat I dont constantly need to tell them to move around or stop moving etc.  I think balancing a wakeboard wake is harder than some people think.  Ive got 200lbs of lead I move around my boat to do it but my wife doesnt quite get the concept nor does she really care for that matter.  I used to envision a sliding lead weight under the floor on like a power screw moving side to side to accomplish this but it sounds like supras just adding and dumping ballast.  Im not a huge fan of how theyre doing it, but its a good idea non the less.

• Like 2

Autowake just makes is easier to set and replicate your wave.  It modifies your boats position in the water to produce the same wave under different circumstances. 

It is available as an option on Moombas for about $850. 

It is a pretty sweet feature. It helps teach people about the wave shaping as well, as you can watch it adjust the tabs and ballast to change the wave shape.  Dunno who wouldn't get that option now, as it helps demystify wave shaping for any newer driver, and it's only easier for experienced people.  

I surfed a Supra SE 550 this weekend with the auto wave feature.  It was pretty nice, we had 8 people in the boat moving around and it kept the wake pretty consistent.  It still helped to have everyone sit on the same side as the surfer, but it was easy to dial in the wake but only pushing one button.

• Like 3
On 9/8/2016 at 4:20 AM, teamerickson said:

Surgate doesn't need all the tab adjustments! :) Set it. Forget it.

Totally disagree with this..it needs a few adjustments. Older SG were smaller and thus full deployment was a set it and forget it. But newer larger gates need a few positions IMO to dial in how much wave is washed over to non surf side.. depending on rider style. I know I'll catch hell again but bu is the only one without adjustments on their surf wave creation device.. if it's not necessary then why do all other mfgs do it?  Even if it wasn't needed but it is.. at least from a mfg standpoint your giving the consumer the ability to decide with a button on their 150_200k toy.. it's the same as offering 1 wedge position like the old wedges.. I'll bet 2018 models get updated. Hopefully there is a software upgrade for 2015+ to add these buttons. Seems easy enough. Depends if the UI can do a PWM or voltage difference on the actuator output signal instead of full off/on but not sure exactly how the lencos work for measuring positions. If someone has an adjustable lencos switch on hand u could find out real quick. I suspect that variable switch could be connected to the output line as well but that's assuming the larger Malibu lencos work the same as the others with variable positions? The actuators on newer bus are huge with separated much larger motor geared on the outside the actuators to increase strength and speed over the older style. They seem bu specific? 

6 hours ago, teamerickson said:

After that comment someone reminded me that you can use the wedge to make adjustments. 

This. Power wedge II can drastically change the wave, even the first gen wedge changed the wave quite a bit. 

Imagine how much information a smartphone provides .. x, y, z, speed, etc...  Very simple to implement it would seem.  Anyone ever use the level app on the iphone?  that's a $2 sensor but highly accurate.  The hard part is move weight fast enough to make it seem ... well seamless.  Tab'd boats (like Supra) are best suited b/c they can adjust bow rise and left/right. 

• Like 3

Absolutely more suited to tabbed systems.  However if you left some reserve i.e. balancing space in your bags then used something like the ronix 3800 GPH pumps to transfer water from one side to the other.   You could rebalance fairly quickly.   In that case you could move 100 pounds from one side to the other in 12 seconds.   Effectively a 200 pound bias.   The only problem with this is you have to leave the reserve.   

5 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Imagine how much information a smartphone provides .. x, y, z, speed, etc...  Very simple to implement it would seem.  Anyone ever use the level app on the iphone?  that's a $2 sensor but highly accurate.  The hard part is move weight fast enough to make it seem ... well seamless.  Tab'd boats (like Supra) are best suited b/c they can adjust bow rise and left/right. 

If Im not mistaken, I believe that Supra does the autobalance using ballast not trim tabs.  If the ballast is 100% full, I believe they just dump ballast to account for the weight. 

• 2 weeks later...

DL a level or clinometer app and set it up in your dash front to back then sideways to check angles and u can note what works well to adjust to there.. the problem is that different weight requires different setups... So angles for a good wave with few people may differ from the angles you want with a lot of people. Hopefully auto wake has a few presets to accommodate this?