Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's new for 2017

Diesel86

18 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I've skied it several times. Low wakes but on firmer side at 28.  22 Rooster manageable.  I did't go shorter than 32.  Loud as can be in boat.  Wake-wise, I'd say its most like the last gen prostar.

You ski at 15 off at all?  What speeds?

21 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Wake-wise, I'd say its most like the last gen prostar.

so you're saying there is a weird curb on one side?. Not my favorite wake, but not that bad then. It is funny that I prefer the wake on my vtx to the wake of a 2012 wtt promo boat that I ski behind occasionally.

On 8/10/2016 at 3:42 AM, KentC said:

As far as the 3.5 goes, one thing that I haven't heard mentioned yet is whether it locks in the down position for towing like the G4.  That's one of the main things that is making me think G4 on this years purchase.  I tow long distance frequently and the ability to keep from having to worry about the bug issues on the tower is huge for me.  I also like the ability to cover the boat with the tower in the down position.  Anybody got any info on this?  

Yea because if u have a white tower bugs are s full day of cleaning! At least the g3-3.5 chrome is easier to clean than the textured Matt paint on the g4s. I have white G4 it's sweet but man o man I will absolutely be putting it down on my next trailer drive.. bug city... 

On 5/20/2016 at 8:55 PM, malibudog said:

Here are some of the improvements I hear are coming, although it is my understanding that few of them are going to be production-ready for next year’s models: 

1)       Boat windshield is tinted during the day, but at dusk, turns clear so you can see at night;

2)      Everyone on the boat has their own VR glasses, so no one has to even pretend they are watching me surf;

3)      Boat actually has gears, so that it will surf, but still run 82 mph to chase down and crush jet skis;

4)      Surfband becomes wakeband, works great at 70 feet, and you can check your e-mail.

5)      Malibu’s wedge lift feature perfected, so that there is no wake whatsoever behind a Malibu running at waterski/barefoot speeds, for people who want to ski/barefoot;

6)      Double surf gates, second one creates a chest high wave, first one (farther up on boat) creates a harmonic wave which cancels out the surf wave so that you can surf right against your neighbor’s dock with no damage;

7)      Ballast eliminated – everything done through gates, wedges and sluices (who really thought that pumping water INTO your boat was a good idea?)

8)      Push a button, and boat parks itself on your trailer

9)      Automatically retractable mynx pole for avoiding those embarrassing questions during family outings

10)   Drones that follow the wakeboarder and play really loud music, so the people in the boat can retain their sanity

1 and 3. Definitely. 

16 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Yea because if u have a white tower bugs are s full day of cleaning! At least the g3-3.5 chrome is easier to clean than the textured Matt paint on the g4s. I have white G4 it's sweet but man o man I will absolutely be putting it down on my next trailer drive.. bug city... 

Yea for sure. I towed back and forth multiple times last year between NC and TN in June/July/August, and my G3 tower was hammered!  It's a pain to clean to because when you scrub the tower all the dirt, water, and soap goes all over the interior.  Really no way to avoid it dripping down!  

1 hour ago, KentC said:

Yea for sure. I towed back and forth multiple times last year between NC and TN in June/July/August, and my G3 tower was hammered!  It's a pain to clean to because when you scrub the tower all the dirt, water, and soap goes all over the interior.  Really no way to avoid it dripping down!  

You might be doing it wrong.  Wet a towel, wrap it around the bar or tower legs  and go find something else to do.  Then just wipe the bugs and dirt off with the towel.  My tower is white and it works fine for me.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

@moski:  relative to your comparisons, the MC 197 slalom wakes will not be in the same league as the TXI, SN200, Prostar although it has a very well respected trick wake.  The TXI, SN200, Prostar and Centurion Carbon Pro are the current crop of top notch slalom machines and all have dramatically improved the longer line wakes.  The 197 has become notorious for not having the best long line slalom wake and having a high variability in hull molds, many comments on people liking a specific hull mold boat.  If price is a key element, the 197 will be roughly half the value of the top 4 and really more comparable to the LXI & SN 196.  The Malibu's either a TXI or LXI will provide the best family versatility due to roominess, wedge (for wake enhancement) and SV23 hull derivative for excellent slalom wakes and great barefoot wakes.  FWIW, as everybody likes different aspects, make sure you and the family drive and try the wake on your list as there are significant differences among the options.

So back on topic, looking forward to see what the new Malibu slalom machine has in store!

On 8/13/2016 at 2:51 PM, KentC said:

Can we get a 2017 22/24 MXZ thread started?  I am waiting to see reviews and comments on them as they are popping up everywhere now!  Biggest thing I am waiting on is the comparison between the surfwake on the current 23 LSV and the new 22 MXZ.  that will be my decision maker! 

Kent, I agree.  I think they look really, really good.

Does anyone know if malibu sizes thier surf pipes different based on engine size?  I know Larry at FAE will make larger pipes for the 450/575 folks.  At least he did in the GM days. These are all basically the same now 6.2L ford engines so maybe there is no need.  Just a thought. 

Just now, teamerickson said:

Do they stick out farther then FAE?

Don't know?  Prolly gotta be big to avoid PW2?  This is how it looks with my antiquated, sub-par and prone to breaking floating wedge (quite svelte in comparison to that crazy spaghetti tube):

1F8D23E6-DD23-4F3D-BC36-FC0951BC733D_zps

Just now, shawndoggy said:

Don't know?  Prolly gotta be big to avoid PW2?  This is how it looks with my antiquated, sub-par and prone to breaking floating wedge (quite svelte in comparison to that crazy spaghetti tube):

That's way better! I worry about little feet and leg gashes.

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

How do you drop the wedge without touching the pipe?

9 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

You just reach down through the platform. If you do touch the exhaust it's not even lukewarm to the touch. I do it every time as I just stick my hand down there without looking and do it by feel.

9 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

The pipe is never hot in the water. It's fine to touch. Just gotta learn where to grab. 

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Damn, I loooooooooove the blue!  I also like the factory surfpipe, I went FAE on mine just because they weren't offering them when I ordered and after the fact they were like twice the price.  Love my FAE just the same but factory looks nice too.  Any chance you can post a picture looking straight down or something showing how it's mounted? Just curious how it differs from my custom mount.