Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's new for 2017

Diesel86

On August 7, 2016 at 8:59 AM, shawndoggy said:

I like it.  For those who've crawled around one, how's the size compared to @Afun's old ninja-era 2010-13 vlx?

95 inch beam compared to 102 or 100... I forget?

Still no word on when Malibu will officially announce the new 22 and 24 MXZs?  Anyone heard anything?  I think I might be making the move to the 22 MXZ in the very near future!  

3 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Why wouldn't it?

More I watch the video, to me, this is clearly an axis-fied malibu.  The bow is essentially a T22 to a T, no finish in the walkway, no cushions on the transom, no carpeted walls, etc. etc.  Which, that's fine, but clearly this is a departure from the fit and finish of the rest of the line IMO.

On the plus side, it means less screws are used...thus less are dropped in the bilge. 

When I had my T22, I never once felt that I needed the cushions in the walkway.  In fact, I was kindof glad... I always seem to snag or scratch the pads in the walkway on previous Malibus.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, bamabonners said:

On the plus side, it means less screws are used...thus less are dropped in the bilge. 

When I had my T22, I never once felt that I needed the cushions in the walkway.  In fact, I was kindof glad... I always seem to snag or scratch the pads in the walkway on previous Malibus.

Trust me, I very much appreciated many aspects of the simplified interior of my axises.  I'm just saying, unfinished dashes and bow walkway are something unseen on a "malibu" in almost 2 decades.  I find that a little odd given Malibu's clear intention to move "up" market when Axis was released.

I like the lack of the pads on the walkthrough, however that dash "pod" that is screwed on looks like something that is going to break around the screws in time.

B262796D-6E1E-4DFA-AF0A-B2D9AE046E94_zps

Edited by oldjeep
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I like the lack of the pads on the walkthrough, however that dash "pod" that is screwed on looks like something that is going to break around the screws in time.

B262796D-6E1E-4DFA-AF0A-B2D9AE046E94_zps

Completely agree... IMHO, that pic is the least flattering view of the new VLX. 

17 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Malibu please make the rack forks dual surf. Wakeboards can fit in the surf slots but not visa versa. Thank you.

Or make them dual wake so that the boards are not clattering together like they already do with the one surf/one wake slot.

4 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Or make them dual wake so that the boards are not clattering together like they already do with the one surf/one wake slot.

:badmood:

Or at least give us the option.

23 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Is that boat really huge or is he 5ft tall?

L.O.L 

Wes is not the largest dude in the world. Bought my  '01 from him a few years ago down in Orlando. 

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

As a prior owner of two axises, I hear you, and agree.  Doesn't bother me.  It could however bother me if I bought a "premium" boat that cost $80,000, and then rode in a Moomba or Tige with better finish for less....or an axis for that matter, for much less....that's the issue.

I like the boat.  I don't at all like the fact that Malibu spent 20 years cultivating what a Wakesetter VLX was.   It has been Malibu's pinnacle performer more often than not, certainly the most well-known, and put Malibu's Vdrives on the map, and now its the most "value" boat in the lineup?  Not that there's not a place for that size, build, and pricing...but calling it a "Wakesetter VLX"?  Total fail in my opinion.  It ignores the company's history and what "VLX" should pay homage to.  I'm not one to be critical of Malibu simply because they are publicly traded, but this is the kind of thing that would not have happened if management were all career towboat people.  When Bob hears that the Wakesetter VLX is now Malibu's budget boat, I would love to be a fly on the wall.  It's literally like Mastercraft renaming the NXT series the X-stars.  There will be a ton of people out there who hear someone got a new VLX, and then get on and say, "THAT'S a Wakesetter VLX?"  

"No, it's Malibu's new marketing strategy, it's not a REAL Malibu, they wanted to make a budget (er) version."  

"Do what?  That's what I thought Axis was for."

There will be more than a few odd looks.  

In fact the more I think about this the more shocked and disappointed I am.

I could be wrong, but I would venture to guess that 95% of the people that get on a new 21 VLX will never notice any of the differences from a 22 VLX or one of the more expensive Malibus.  The people on this site are a small population of Malibu owners and are well versed on all the options, upgrades, and fit and finishes of each model, however, I don't think the majority of the boating community is aware or cares for those little things.  They see that shiny new dash with the 12" touchscreen, surfgate, power wedge 2, surf band, wet sounds stereo, and are none the wiser that they're in a "budget" Malibu. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jtrovato said:

I could be wrong, but I would venture to guess that 95% of the people that get on a new 21 VLX will never notice any of the differences from a 22 VLX or one of the more expensive Malibus.  The people on this site are a small population of Malibu owners and are well versed on all the options, upgrades, and fit and finishes of each model, however, I don't think the majority of the boating community is aware or cares for those little things.  They see that shiny new dash with the 12" touchscreen, surfgate, power wedge 2, surf band, wet sounds stereo, and are none the wiser that they're in a "budget" Malibu. 

Agreed! It's not the fact they are marketing a more affordable model it's the fact that they are calling it a VLX.  So now you have the old 21 VLX, the new and approved 22 VLX and now the new new 21 VLX??  I just think as others have said it chips away at the prestige of the VLX line.   Just sayin...

1 hour ago, jtrovato said:

I agree on the fit and finish comparing a 21 vlx to a new 22 vlx, most buyers would be happy in either.  The biggest deciding factor imo will be the size difference.  I have yet to sit in a new 21 vlx but I am confident the 98" beam and 21' length will be noticeablly smaller in comparison to a 102" beam and 21' 10" length.  No different than a 22vlx compared to the 23lsv, and they both have 102" beams.  There is a noticeable size difference in the cabin between these two boats.  And what about freeboard? Are they relatively close?

You are also sacraficing a wakeview flip up rear facing seat on starboard side which the 21 vlx is not long enough to accomodate.  We use the rear facing seats all the time.  Do they even offer a flip up wakeview seat on port side?  I thought one pic I noticed had a notch for a flip up seat on port side?

Edited by Fman
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Counter point

Pretty much anyone can tell this

24304730014_large.jpg

From this

maxresdefault.jpg

Point well taken and rather funny!  But do you really think the differences are that drastic?  

Just now, ctvandy23 said:

Point well taken and rather funny!  But do you really think the differences are that drastic?  

No, but a similar dislike will be felt by the owners of the old for the newer version.