Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's new for 2017

Diesel86

37 minutes ago, jk13 said:

VTX was all new for '16, so it will likely just receive things that are universal to the entire line. New tower bases and tow points, new audio packages, and new graphics and colors, new materials, etc... Not sure on the wake seating, or if there is even room in that boat for it.

I deal a fair amount with marketing, you are correct. The 'why' is down below, and it has nothing to do with length.

The two different LSVs are both flagship models for their given length with the entire options list available to them, as is the 22 VLX. The 21 VLX, however, is a price point boat with limited options. THAT is why I brought this up a few pages back. I completely agree with @Web that there should be more differentiation between them simply based on price point vs. flagship model, regardless of length. The only thing we've seen even hinted is the white 21 pictured did not have the 'Wakesetter' moniker on the rear sides. Maybe it won't be part of the 'Wakesetter' line, like back in the day when Wakesetter was an option package for the Sunsetter LX.

Of maybe it's like @IXFE posted as I was typing...

I wouldn't put too much stock into the missing Wakesetter logo on the white one. If you look at the red/black one at Boulder Boats you'll see it has the Wakesetter logo

• Like 1
Just now, IXFE said:

I wouldn't put too much stock into the missing Wakesetter logo on the white one. If you look at the red/black one at Boulder Boats you'll see it has the Wakesetter logo

Even better. I almost typed that it may have been a dealer or customer delete, but was hoping for some reason for the naming. Guess not.

2 hours ago, Web said:

^^ you are right.  Just seems odd to me you have 2 boats only 10" diff with the same badging.

have to remember different beam width too. as well as why many others have stated on it being a "price point" boat and not having all the options available (yet....)

My dealer said Malibu is serious about the 79K.  That the dealer's aren't making hardly any money on these boats.  I would guess they are only making this boat to gain market share.

Just now, wakedncsu said:

My dealer said Malibu is serious about the 79K.  That the dealer's aren't making hardly any money on these boats.  I would guess they are only making this boat to gain market share.

I don't buy it! If you can get the "normal" 25% of MSRP on a 22VLX priced at 120 you're right around 90. They are making money on that and the 21 will have a lower invoice. I wonder how soon seedealercost will get the 21 vlx info?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, teamerickson said:

I don't buy it! If you can get the "normal" 25% of MSRP on a 22VLX priced at 120 you're right around 90. They are making money on that and the 21 will have a lower invoice. I wonder how soon seedealercost will get the 21 vlx info?

Looks as though they are just finishing up shooting for the catalog, should be close to some info soon I would imagine.

• Like 1
On July 16, 2016 at 10:55 AM, IXFE said:

Totally agree with you... Malibu saw a seem in the market (and their own product line up), both in size and price.  But make not mistake... it's missing stuff.  To begin with, there's a long list of options that dealers currently cannot order.

• G4 Tower
  • Upgraded engine
  • Silent tip exhaust
  • Surf Pipe
  • Gel coat upgrades of any kind (metal flake, hull color, top deck color, etc.)
  • No other stereo upgrades (Rev 8's, transom remote, etc.)
  • Clamping racks
  • Fender Pro
  • Hydraulic Steering (does anybody ever order this?)
  • Trailer updgrades (18's, two-ton, runway lights, etc.)
  • heater
  • shower
  • lighting (dock, surf, etc)
  • flooring (logo carpet, Seadeck, etc)
  • power seat
  • rearciew camera

Besides just the options you can't currently order, there are a few things on this boat that make it different (cheaper) from the rest of the Wakesetter line.  Let's begin with the obvious... it's a 98" beam.  There are no combing pads in the walk through.  The glove box is old school Vride style (although they did wrap it in vinyl).  The bow tank is smaller.  The rear transom seats do not open and they are not upholstered... just Seadeck steps.  You only get 6 cabin speakers and they are only 6.5".  There is no water tight storage area for the driver.  The little cubby by the driver is small.  Lots and lots of exposed fiberglass.  

What you paid for your 22 VLX is irrelevant.  

B262796D-6E1E-4DFA-AF0A-B2D9AE046E94_zps

E8AFBAB6-C6A6-489D-9F61-C57C06FBF907_zps

6C18131C-278F-4B40-A86E-9B2968B682D9_zps

Looks like they are trying to capture some of SC's growing marketshare for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Just waiting for you to post up your 2017 build sheet .......

Well, it's coming. Probably not until October/November timeframe. My son has already said that it has to be blue. We can't wait to be back on the water! 

My local dealer said yesterday that the 21VLX has an amazing surf wake and that he was impressed with what they did to the hull. :surfing:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 95echelon said:

My local dealer said yesterday that the 21VLX has an amazing surf wake and that he was impressed with what they did to the hull. :surfing:

Tommy's?

10 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Doesn't every dealer say that about every new boat that comes out?

Yup. This the emoticon... Emoticon use = silly. 

18 hours ago, 95echelon said:

9 hours ago, IXFE said:

Doesn't every dealer say that about every new boat that comes out?

I agree with @IXFE , and even if it has an "amazing wake", is it truly an amazing wake? Or just an amazing wake for a 21' boat?... Having said that, if they keep the price to $79k all day, hopefully they give those entry level boaters a Malibu experience. 

1 hour ago, jk13 said:

No offense to you personally, @BadgerBoater55, but I find it odd how quickly people become acclimated to price jumping. That number was flagship money in very recent times. 

I am not acclimated at all... I can't afford a $79k boat either.  I am just saying what the reality of the situation is if you are getting into a Malibu.  Sure you can get an Axis or other brands for less.  I find it extremely disappointing how expensive it is to own a boat.  Until I can afford it, I am stuck trying to hitch a tow whenever I can. I think the consensus on this forum is boat prices are escalating to out-of-control numbers... But until the bubble pops, it is what it is.  Not trying to sound defensive or anything, I think you are definitely spot on with some people's thought process.  Hell, the M235 was made the way it is to be exclusive based on price point.

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I want more on the new Response...

I second that and just to throw out some comments although knowing the design cycle for a new for '17 boat is pretty much done, here are some qualities I like (some on 'other' vessels) and knowing I am in the minority or a niche buyer:

1. easy step over to transom, which kind of means no full width back seat or trunk and might include a step (pretty much what the 'other three' now have so it would be copying them which reduces differentiation & not necessarily a good thing for the brand if the trunk is a key 'Bu feature, just not what I want)
  2. covered ski storage along gunnel (so not to screw up my #1) as I don't want my ski sitting out exposed to sun (so now you know what ski I am on!) and helps reduce clutter
  3. Low dash for forward visibility, keep the Murphy display for ZO functions, and include a water & air temp on the tournament page
  4. binding lube / soap holder somewhere on transom...how many times is soap in the middle of the boat or under some else's gear!
  5. lightweight powertrain & a focus on reducing overall boat weight

Just as a general comment, the MC/CC/CP tournament ski boats all seemed to refocus the design towards the hard core slalom or 3 event ski by doing away with back seats / sunpads / rear trunks, etc.  much to my personal liking and Malibu appears to have stayed their brand identity as having a superb wake but still targeted to family activities post ski runs.  So the question for me would be if they want to stay the course, how can you make both attributes attainable or how do you make the boat convertible to either scenario -and- keep cost in mind as that would not be cost free.

I agree with the side storage.  Never thought to make it enclosed or sun-shielded though.  I like the racks on the Prostar.  I'd be OK doing away with the trunk or splitting it.  The storage is still really handy but agree, stepping over is difficult and you just don't feel right stepping on it every time.  Maybe it's cause I'm tall, but I've never once had any sight-line issues with a traditional dashboard.  I think the offset setups look goofy, and I prefer analog-looking gauges.

ahopkins22LSV

I am speculating that with the changes to the Response and being told there will be 3 different "levels" of the boat, one of them will be optioned more towards the die hard skier to have many of the items you listed @Woodski, one will be more of a bare bones to keep the cost down, and one will more like the current TXi. That is pure speculation. I don't know how they could make that fully happen, but we shall see.

6 hours ago, jk13 said:

No offense to you personally, @BadgerBoater55, but I find it odd how quickly people become acclimated to price jumping. That number was flagship money in very recent times. 

Yeah, but back then you could only get 12 year loans. Now you can get 20 years... So it's all good, right?

:Tease3:

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

I am not acclimated at all... I can't afford a $79k boat either.  I am just saying what the reality of the situation is if you are getting into a Malibu.  Sure you can get an Axis or other brands for less.  I find it extremely disappointing how expensive it is to own a boat.  Until I can afford it, I am stuck trying to hitch a tow whenever I can. I think the consensus on this forum is boat prices are escalating to out-of-control numbers... But until the bubble pops, it is what it is.  Not trying to sound defensive or anything, I think you are definitely spot on with some people's thought process.  Hell, the M235 was made the way it is to be exclusive based on price point.

Keep waiting on that Bubble to pop and you will not get a new boat, ever...

This bubble has been building since I have been in a new Malibu, that was '01. I'm sure there are others here that have been buying longer than that. The prices have climbed steadily every year. You may get years where recreational spending is down and boat sales are down but you're not going to see the new prices go down Or stay the same in consecutive years.