Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's new for 2017

Diesel86

On July 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM, teamerickson said:

If the 22MXZ comes in around $80K I'm buying one! You hear that Larson?!?! :surprised:

I am hearing loaded 21VLX for $80. Not sure what loaded consists of (G4, etc.?)

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

script>This is the first one I have seen with the switched "Malibu" and "Wakesetter" from this angle, and I must say it looks better than I originally thought.  Still not sure if I like it.

I like that they are going back to the brand being the prominent logo like they used to, but the problem is the shorter word is hard to make look straight. Looks like they measured down from the rub rail to level it, but the angular gel coat patterns make it look crooked depending on how your eyes focus.

Good looking boat either way...

• Like 3

The Malibu Experiance Central was pulled by a 2017 22MXZ. They were just running factory plus plug and play. I got two pulls out of it, wakeboarding only. Wake was decent, what you would expect out of factory ballast malibu. 

I didn't like the interior pics online, but it was better looking in person. The new vinyl still gets very hot to the feet. The interior WS speakers do look nice. Also liked the G style transom walk path. 

The G3 also has an updated base, with lever release, similar to Nautique  

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Brian Young
  • Like 2
Just now, t a said:

So did they drop the 22VLX or are there 2 VLX's now?

Haven't seen a listing for a 22VLX, but I would assume it is staying.  Just like a 22/24 MXZ and 23/25 LSV.  Any word on a 2017 20VTX?  

I looked at the listing for the 21 VLX....it says there is a G3.5 tower?  I don't think I have seen anything about that...what is new about it?  Any other details on this 21 VLX?

Just now, gahvey said:

I looked at the listing for the 21 VLX....it says there is a G3.5 tower?  I don't think I have seen anything about that...what is new about it?  Any other details on this 21 VLX?

It appears that it has a new latching mechanism. The base looks substantially larger than the G3 and G3.2 towers.

I am confused :unsure:20 VTX, 21 VLX, 22 VLX, 23 LSV, 25 LSV.   Malibu must see a demand for the 21'er, after having a 2013 VLX that was 21'/100" beam and now the 22VLX/102" beam I would not go backwards in size, but maybe people want a smaller boat in between the 20 VTX and 22 VLX? (lake restrictions)  I wonder if the 21 VLX will be more of a crossover (ski-able slalom wake) boat comparable to the VTX?  Seems like a lot of boats in the line up now.

On June 28, 2016 at 8:09 PM, DarkSide said:

I suspect it is legit, I did not realize 22 was getting a refresh.  I was at the factory 2 weeks ago and did not remember seeing a new 22.  I saw other awesomeness, but I dont remember the 22MXZ.  

Seams to fit the new formula. Bigger deeper, I like the reversible bench seat.

more shots of the new 22mxz in this add: http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2017-malibu-22-mxz-102811027/

a few things I noticed... 

1. There is a good shot of the new tower base and locking mechanism.  As others have stated, it Looks slot like the nautique. 

2. There is a new billet Malibu grill for the sub under the helm.  Looks really cool. 

3.  Malibu logos in the WS speaker cones. Nice touch.

4. looks like the engine hatch allows for more access to the front of the engine.  

Is it me, or does that look bigger than the old 22 MXZ? Interior does anyway. Wonder if the sub has a proper enclosure now? Just 2 amps??

and on one of those pics of the tower... looks like a tow point for surfing that I read about earlier...that would help the beginners for sure.

11 hours ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

script>This is the first one I have seen with the switched "Malibu" and "Wakesetter" from this angle, and I must say it looks better than I originally thought.  Still not sure if I like it.

Went back to 90's and early 2000's logo placement.

The 2017 22 MXZ looks great.  The gel lines are more straight, a bit of the M235 look.  The MXZ emblem with the Malibu "split globe logo" is exactly like the M235 emblem.  The cover over the sub woofer also like the M235.  The center reversing bench seat for wake view seating is nice.  The new G3 tower lock looks great, I have the threaded knobs on my 2103, not very user friendly.  Looks like the two rear seats flip up to access the rear storage like on the M235.  Walk through on the back hatches is nice.  The center of the bow looks like there is a flip up seat back for anchor storage.  I love having that area for the anchor on my 20 MXZ, and I also keep 80 pounds for steel shot in there.  I always thought is was interesting that Malibu had this front anchor compartment access on the 20 MXZ and the 24 MXZ but not on the 22 MXZ.  The back seat cushion ion the bow was a solid piece on the 22 MXZ.  Looks like they added access to this area in 2017.  Also notice arm rests that pull down in the bow seating area.

It maybe an illusion, but it seems like the cabin area behind the drivers seat is longer in 2017 versus 2016??  I always thought it was an interesting design decision by Malibu when utilizing the extra length gained when going from the 20 MXZ to the 22 MXZ size, they decided to split the use of that extra 23 inches, by using 6 or 8 inches of it in the bow seating area and the remainder in the cabin area.  I always thought that they should have just kept the bow area the same dimension as in the 20 MXZ, which is ample room, and use all of the extra length in the cabin.  I want to measure a 2017 22 MXZ and compare the bow area measurements to my 20 MXZ.

I can't wait to see one of these in person.  This maybe a boat that could get me interested in an upgrade from mine.

I actually like the new fuel door, should allow easier filling, I don't think I am the only one who has some issues getting fuel pump to stay engaged.   Also self venting cap now, so no secondary fuel tank vents through the hull. 

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
13 hours ago, Fman said:

I am confused :unsure:20 VTX, 21 VLX, 22 VLX, 23 LSV, 25 LSV.   Malibu must see a demand for the 21'er, after having a 2013 VLX that was 21'/100" beam and now the 22VLX/102" beam I would not go backwards in size, but maybe people want a smaller boat in between the 20 VTX and 22 VLX? (lake restrictions)  I wonder if the 21 VLX will be more of a crossover (ski-able slalom wake) boat comparable to the VTX?  Seems like a lot of boats in the line up now.

I believe the target of the 21 is to have an option that is for someone who doesn't want an axis but also doesn't want to pay full blown Malibu money. Im just as curious as you are to see how it plays out. 

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I believe the target of the 21 is to have an option that is for someone who doesn't want an axis but also doesn't want to pay full blown Malibu money. Im just as curious as you are to see how it plays out. 

This was my thought too... And I agree it will be interesting to see.  I have a meeting with my local dealer for our Wake The World event next week, so I will try to gather some info.  As always, happy to act as voice for the Crew if anyone has any specific questions.  

The vinyl pattern in the 21VLX is very Axis like. But I like that center hatch access in the carpet. 

If the price is 80K loaded for the VLX, that's a lot of boat for the money. 

Edited by saxton15
10 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

The vinyl pattern in the 21VLX is very Axis like. But I like that center hatch access in the carpet. 

If the price is 80K loaded for the VLX, that's a lot of boat for the money. 

I don't know if the vinyl looks Axis like? It looks like patterns are changing for 2017.