Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Homemade delta wakeshaper

prion

Gary, I'm looking for the perfect wave as well. As the other post stated, your pics won't load. I would really like to see your set-up, especially the build and how and where you are suction cupping this to the boat. I have a 2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX as well. I'm tired of filling 2 additional external sacs to get a great wave. If you have time shoot me an email with a picture or two.   [email protected].  Thanks

3 hours ago, JackFlash said:

Gary, I'm looking for the perfect wave as well. As the other post stated, your pics won't load. I would really like to see your set-up, especially the build and how and where you are suction cupping this to the boat. I have a 2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX as well. I'm tired of filling 2 additional external sacs to get a great wave. If you have time shoot me an email with a picture or two.   [email protected].  Thanks

I had the 02, same hull as your 04.  You still gotta slam it to get a good wave, the gate just enhances it & you don't have to run listed.  All the additional weight to evenly weight the boat is what is really making the wave better

Can somebody tell me how to remove the suction cups from the aluminum handle so I can drill the holes required to mount the shelf brackets to the top of the cup mounts?

5 hours ago, skiguy said:

Can somebody tell me how to remove the suction cups from the aluminum handle so I can drill the holes required to mount the shelf brackets to the top of the cup mounts?

You would have to bend the one end of the pin or punch it out. You will have to get replacement pins as the handle part doesn't keep the pin in like the other models. 

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:07 PM, MadMan said:

Thought I'd post the photos of mine.  Used the Harbor Freight suction cups and a 1"x10".  It's at 45 degrees (the idea is it will be harder for the water to push off at this lesser angle).  Had to cut an access slot to control the front suction cup.  It's ~9"x13".  Works great.  Took 15 minutes to build.  And  it floats, no need for a tether.

IMG_2182lr_zpsqdnxrp8a.jpg

IMG_2181lr_zpsjt5tcvhh.jpg

Tried making another one of these with a larger paddle (9x17), it killed the push, the smaller one was better in back to back testing.

So after 3 weeks of usage.....every day for 3 weeks, one of my thumb tabs on my harbor freight handle broke off.  It was the tab closest to paddle. The tab broke right as I was clamping it down to go surf.  The back cup was already locked in place so I figure what the heck, I'll see if it stays.  Well, it stayed in place for 2 hours and never budged with only one cup suctioned.  Guess I'll be heading to harbor freight tomorrow for another handle. 

4 hours ago, NCVride said:

So after 3 weeks of usage.....every day for 3 weeks, one of my thumb tabs on my harbor freight handle broke off.  It was the tab closest to paddle. The tab broke right as I was clamping it down to go surf.  The back cup was already locked in place so I figure what the heck, I'll see if it stays.  Well, it stayed in place for 2 hours and never budged with only one cup suctioned.  Guess I'll be heading to harbor freight tomorrow for another handle. 

Mine broke as well. Switched to aluminum 

Hi guys. I have followed this topic carefully. Read it end to end, but still not sure what design to go with for the best results. 

Is anyone getting good results with their Homemade Suckgate on a 2002' VLX or similar hull? I know a lot of you are still experimenting, but it is hard to tell what your actual results are without photos. I don't have the ability to build and test since our boat is 4 hrs. from home at the lake. Any more help you can offer us is appreciated. I almost bought an Eight 3 for $590 but that seems like a waste if people are getting good results DIY. 

1. I think plastic or wood is idea, so as to not scratch the hull if it pops off. 

2. How do you know what angle and size of paddle to cut? Or what have you learned so far about this area?

3. The photos are where we are at with no suck gate. I'd like to stop listing the boat and use a suction wake gate. Photos with  (500lbs center, 250lbs left rear and 750lbs tank buster in right rear) and wedge and people sitting on one side. But the wake is often too steep and not enough play room or collapses with white water if are not always making a slight turn with the boat. Currently 2,200 rpms at 8.3mph. No weight in bow. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-10%20at%206.39.3

4. Video with no surfgate to compare after I build one: 

I really like the look of this version guys are building on the master craft forum: https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=70442&page=120

IMG_6783_zps0rz1g7uz.jpg

Edited by Air Tahoe
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, mkpursehouse said:

@Air Tahoe thats a pretty cool video ^. Who was flying the drone & where were they?

I'll pm me about it, as I don't want to take this post off topic. 

8 hours ago, Air Tahoe said:

Hi guys. I have followed this topic carefully. Read it end to end, but still not sure what design to go with for the best results. 

Is anyone getting good results with their Homemade Suckgate on a 2002' VLX or similar hull? I know a lot of you are still experimenting, but it is hard to tell what your actual results are without photos. I don't have the ability to build and test since our boat is 4 hrs. from home at the lake. Any more help you can offer us is appreciated. I almost bought an Eight 3 for $590 but that seems like a waste if people are getting good results DIY. 

1. I think plastic or wood is idea, so as to not scratch the hull if it pops off. 

2. How do you know what angle and size of paddle to cut? Or what have you learned so far about this area?

3. The photos are where we are at with no suck gate. I'd like to stop listing the boat and use a suction wake gate. Photos with  (500lbs center, 250lbs left rear and 750lbs tank buster in right rear) and wedge and people sitting on one side. But the wake is often too steep and not enough play room or collapses with white water if are not always making a slight turn with the boat. Currently 2,200 rpms at 8.3mph. No weight in bow. 

I really like the look of this version guys are building on the master craft forum: https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=70442&page=120

IMG_6783_zps0rz1g7uz.jpg

I used ghetto gate on my 2002 vlx & had a really good wave.  1100 on surf side rear, 600 center, 750 in bow & 750 non surf side rear, people weight on surf side of boat, wedge down.  

4 hours ago, Maisbiensuer said:

Hi Guys

I created my DIY Suck Gate too. See pictures below.

https://s32.postimg.org/e5my49z9t/image.jpg

https://s32.postimg.org/z3xpg3oi9/image.jpg

Unfortunately, I am not able to get the cups sucking. It works perfect in a dry area but not on the water. Any ideas?

I like the harbor freight handle best for ease of suction. The aluminum one can take me a few minutes in the water and you really need to feel where the cup isn't touching the hull and bend it with your fingers toward that area. 

My harbor freight cups work great when the thumb levers don't break. Going to make some new levers out of aluminum since my second build just broke a week after the first one broke

Jackflash, your email isn't showing up, says it's protected.

I mount GG2.0 as far back on the hull as I can.  I position the paddle part of GG2.0 so that the paddle fits under the lip/step in the hull. I will get some pics tonight and hopefully figure out how to upload them here.  It works great with stock ballast, wedge down and about 10.0 mph.  You need to tweak the speed a bit depending on the number of people in the boat.  

For me, the key to getting the suction cups to work is as follows:

• make sure suction cups are clean of debris, a quick rinse in the lake does the trick
  • install in the water, make sure the boat hull and suction cups are wet
  • press down on back part of the gate, pump handle a few times to get the air out, you will feel the suction grab hard as you pump the handle
  • once back is secured, press front of the gate, paddle side, against the hull, pump handle a few times to get the air out, you will feel the suction grab hard as you pump the handle

When the suctions cups "grab" onto the hull, they are locked on and don't budge at all.  

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:17 AM, jbower said:

My harbor freight cups work great when the thumb levers don't break. Going to make some new levers out of aluminum since my second build just broke a week after the first one broke

Can I place an order for aluminum tabs? Mine keep breaking too. I figured it's a good thing tho. Too much suction.

49 minutes ago, lukehartwig said:

Can I place an order for aluminum tabs? Mine keep breaking too. I figured it's a good thing tho. Too much suction.

Haha whatever I make won't be to fancy. The first one that broke I just took some thin aluminum cut two strips about 2 1/2 inches long drilled a hole offset near the bottom for the pin to go threw and bent the strips a little and bolted them together tight. Haven't tried it yet but it appears it has a little more suction and pulling power than the plastic ones have that come on it

Seriously love what this thing did to my wave... My old 2001 vlx is making an amazing wave for us.  Im 6'1 and my wife is 5'8 for comparison to the wave.

DSC02211.jpg

DSC02246.jpg

DSC02092.jpg

martinarcher
On 7/11/2016 at 10:11 PM, Air Tahoe said:

Is 8.3mph GPS verified?  My boat honestly won't clean up the wave until 9mph.  At 9mph we have a clean very steep but very short wave that has tons of push but no length and is fine to get a beginner started on but no fun at all the surf.  I usually surf at around 10.7-11.3 GPS speed dpensing on the speed of the board I'm riding.  The wave is nice and long and with my teakgates is a TON of fun. 

No, not GPS verified martin archer. I didn't even think about double checking that. It was straight of the perfect pass cruise control. I'll check GPS ground speed instead. Your teak gate is amazing, just saw the video. But far too complex and too much drilling in the hull for me. Still looking for an easy on and off way to clean up the wave. 

I received all of my materials today. Suction cup and plastic to cut. But, really unsure about where to start, how big, what angle for a 2002 VLX with wedge. Do I just need to make something up in wood and waste time trying it out or is there a good size and angle to start with? 

CFH those pics are great. Can I get some help on what yours looks like? We have similar hulls.

Edited by Air Tahoe
updated
On 11 July 2016 at 8:11 PM, Air Tahoe said:

IMG_6783_zps0rz1g7uz.jpg

Which lake is that? Looks beautiful!

martinarcher
4 hours ago, Air Tahoe said:

No, not GPS verified martin archer. I didn't even think about double checking that. It was straight of the perfect pass cruise control. I'll check GPS ground speed instead. Your teak gate is amazing, just saw the video. But far too complex and too much drilling in the hull for me. Still looking for an easy on and off way to clean up the wave. 

I received all of my materials today. Suction cup and plastic to cut. But, really unsure about where to start, how big, what angle for a 2002 VLX with wedge. Do I just need to make something up in wood and waste time trying it out or is there a good size and angle to start with? 

CFH those pics are great. Can I get some help on what yours looks like? We have similar hulls.

Just check out your speed with a phone GPS and try surfing a bit faster....I bet you like it. :)   Have fun out there!

anyone have problems with the harbor freight suction cups?

Ours hold suction awesome, but last weekend we broke off one of the little black levers which engages the suction cup. 

Just a heads up, as I'm on my second set.  The levers (where they pivot) don't have much meat to them. 

IMG_6209_zpsxcoya8gc.jpg