Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Homemade delta wakeshaper

prion

16 minutes ago, prion said:

Kordtsy, we took the suction cups off the bases and then put 2 screws through each base and 2 long screws through the middle under the handle to wedge it together. 

BLK, where did you see the dimensions on the delta website?

I just took a re-look and could not find the dimensions.  But IIRC it was 7x9, listed on the Delta page or the FAQ page.  

52 minutes ago, sidekicknicholas said:

I made my second gen version last night and it worked awesome for our 04' LSV.

6.5"x9" panel (I think I want to go up to an 8x10") .... used the HoD from Amazon.  Attached two gusset HDPE pieces to the cups via two long bolts that ran through the HDPE and handle from the HoD.  Main blade of the suckgate was attached with screws.

I just did a quick test with it but on the LSV with only ~1250 lbs of ballast (1000 rear, 250 front), and the wedge down, the wave was better than ANY listed setup I've ever had.

Can you post a pic of that one?  I am ready to build one this weekend.  Found a red one by HoD, 200lbs, that would match the boat.  Also see a shiny aluminum one.  Does the plastic one float?  I agree a bungee or cord would not be a good idea, I'd rather it just straight up floats.  Can you fill the handle with foam and attache foam to the back side of the HDPE?

To all - it's a 74 degree angle off of the boat from the edge of the gel, is it a straight 74 degrees or does it tilt backwards or forwards a few degrees?  I guess the orientation of the suction cups when installing it could account for that.

Edit - 1" HDPE

Edited by Michigan boarder
saw the answer on another thread

I cut the 2x4's on mine at approx 74*.  When attached to the boat it may angle a bit more to the stern depending on the shape of the boats hull.  

• Like 1

Mine is probably about 80-83 degrees. We eyeballed it based on the mission delta. Theirs looks to be slightly less than 90 degrees. 

Can you post a pic of that one?

I'll get some photos tonight ... mine right now doesn't really float, doesn't really sink - seems pretty neutrally buoyant ... I ran little piece of rope to a life jacket I set on the sundeck in case it pops off.  Not a ton of space on the one I built to add foam, but with a little work you could probably get some in it.  I think my final version will be the same leash but through part of a swim noodle that would attach to the Stearn of the boat.... or spray foam around between the cups and chisel out enough space to work the levers on the cups.

My angle is about 78* ... I think my miter saw has a preset lock at 22.5* so I probably used that.

My rendition. Harbor freight dual suction cup. 2x2 screwed to handles and doubled up where cutting board attaches. I set the miter saw to 22.5 degrees for the cuts.

10x12 in front of 7x9 cutting board. Doubled up to stiffen it up a little as I'm sure it will flex. If it's too much I will remove the big piece and try the little one. 

Hoping to try it out when the kids are tired of tubing...

image.jpeg

Edited by henrik
Spelling...
  • Like 2

My Mk2 -

Main panel for the gate is approx 6.5"x9" at ~70*, supports are 1" HDPE, HoD cup(s) / handle from amazon.

HrtykkI.jpg

yqje20G.jpg

ct3LIGQ.jpg

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, footndale said:

1/2" thickness can be purchased at home depot

Grainger sells different thickness and sizes too.

Amazon too.  I'm buying some 1" red (of course).

Nice simple designs guys. Any pics of the waves?

Not yet L) ....I didn't have my phone the first night I tested it, and for whatever reason the county drew down our lake ~18" yesterday so our boat is stuck on the lift.  Hopefully that won't be an issue when I get home tonight.

When I tried it I had ~1000lbs rear ballast, 250lbs front, middle tank pump kept tripping the breaker and I didn't fix it til after the test, and the wedge down.  So 1250lbs + wedge + me in the boat and with that little bit of weight the wake was better than ANY listed setup I've ever had.

• Like 1

Question for all of you that know more about these DIY designs and Delta designs. What exactly are these wake shapers doing to the boat to cause a better wake......are they making the boat "push" to the opposite side which is creating more force on the runners which is creating a better wake? Just curious. Also, if that is what they are doing, what happens when you make the "paddle" bigger for them to "push" harder"? I have my HOD on order and I am going to make one this weekend.

Quick question for all the guy's trying this set up, how is the steering with one installed? Does it steer same as a listed set up or worse?

6 minutes ago, SBR said:

Question for all of you that know more about these DIY designs and Delta designs. What exactly are these wake shapers doing to the boat to cause a better wake......are they making the boat "push" to the opposite side which is creating more force on the runners which is creating a better wake? Just curious. Also, if that is what they are doing, what happens when you make the "paddle" bigger for them to "push" harder"? I have my HOD on order and I am going to make one this weekend.

Isn't the whole purpose of the plate to deflect the wave so they do not cancel each other out when they come together and allow for one side to flow much wider and further back( surf side)? 

The wake on the paddle side will converge further back with the non paddle side creati g a surf able wave on the non paddle side. That said. I think there is a point of diminishing return with paddle sizes. I'm going to try a few sizes this weekend. I'll report back. 

Prior nailed it ... it causes the wake to collapse on itself further back, giving you a nicer / cleaner surfing wave.  I'm not sure the magic number for a paddle size / angle .... from what I've seen, the closer to 90* you get, the less paddle you need... also you want to be near the stern of the boat, the further back it is, the longer the pocket is.

• Like 1

Anxiously awaiting reports on these.....any of you guys who built one can chime in from your phone at the lake anytime now.  

Well, i have been on the edge of ordering the delta and this thread got me fired up to build my own and test it this weekend:

• Build went well:  Used wood for first rev as we had it handy already, will do HDPE for next gen if we like it.  Followed the design of the black one at the top of this thread and it turned out great, looked very similar to that.  Bought the same HOD suction cups from Amazon as linked above.  Ran 2 bolts through the handle as described above.  Made the plate about 8"x10", had about 75 degree angle.  i stink at posting pictures here so sorry about that, but just PM me and i can text you them if you want them.  Overall, we were very happy with design.  $10 and it looked good.
  • Lake test did not go as well:
    • First small problem was placement.  I have a '06 23 LSV.  I used stock ballast full, wedge down, and 750 in each rear locker (we had a person or 2 in the bow as well).  I thought that weight was similar to what I read above.  That sank the backend pretty good.  To put the gate on near the water line, it was basically on top of part of my "Malibu" logo.  If i put it below the logo, it was pretty deep in the water.  Anyway, not sure I dialed in placement, but we experimented a bit and found a spot to make it stick and continued on.
    • Bigger problem was the suction cups.  i guess it must be me, as no one else above had trouble, but mine would not hold.  Maybe it was a defective unit.  The rear cup seemed stronger than that front cup.  Every time i got up to about 8-10mph, it would come off under the pressure.  One time I hit 10mph and the wake looked bigger and longer than i normally see so I was encouraged by the concept, but the suction cups would not hold for long.  So i am not giving up, but i need to decide if i order better suction cups or just order the delta product.  Please offer any tips if you have them.
    • thanks for your help.

kdspindl....I wonder if it is because of the size of the blade. From what I have read on other threads, the guys that are having a problem with the suction cups said they all had a bigger than 7 x 9 blade. Others also posted that wax on the gel coat also affected the suction cups. I am building one tonight to take with me this weekend.....I am super pumped to build and test this thing out! I will post pics when I get it done.

4 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

This won't work on my Echelon, with the step down and chine.  Bummed.  I have to stick with a platform mounted gate.

Same issue on my Vride. I don't see any way to build one paddle that fits on either side. I'm going to need to build a right & left side paddle that is shaped like the hull on that side.

Unless I can build a shim that fits in the "step down" or "chine", if that whats it's called. The shim would make the paddle mounting surface flat. So I'd have a shim for either side & one paddle that works for either side. Probably have to use velcro for all this. I talked to a friend of mine who buys "hook & loop" in bulk. He thinks it would work pretty well.

20160523_094625_zpsx3wdizgu.jpg

Question is, can I get past using velcro on the boat? Maybe using some kind of cover over it when it's not in use?

Air junky, if you use the skateboard ramp and have the top edge of it on the bottom of the rub rail. It doesn't really protrude into the notched portion. The water will push the ramp into the contours of the hull. It works well on my 02 vlx

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cowwboy said:

Air junky, if you use the skateboard ramp and have the top edge of it on the bottom of the rub rail. It doesn't really protrude into the notched portion. The water will push the ramp into the contours of the hull. It works well on my 02 vlx

Interesting. I don't think I'll have that much hull in the water as I only run about 1200 lbs of ballast. But maybe I'll try making the paddle for the flat space where the blue/black are located on mine.

Bill. Can u get a suction cup to stick where the blue black space meet? If so, I would just make the paddle to fit in there. I bet it would work fine. 

• Like 1