Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Homemade delta wakeshaper

prion

Right click on the picture itself, then click on Copy Image Location. Then paste that in the forums Insert other media from URL button on the bottom right.

piRkeLndqnjufwwpiBg_WkTYZ-rV7MxIkGDEkxNJ

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I may be too extreme with my angle, but I am running the gate at an 80 degree angle to the hull with great results and no adverse steering at the slower speeds. It does turn better toward the gate, but either direction turns fine. I wonder at what angle you would see the point of diminishing returns?

On 8/1/2017 at 4:42 PM, chris4x4gill2 said:

It shows up on my end.... Try this link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lTxEcBa1CddE5X0N2

I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures since photobucket went down.

That think looks like a beast!!!  Let me know how it works as well as the handle tabs.   I've been using google drive for posting pics since photo bucket went down.  Still have to click a link to see them but hell it works. 

12 hours ago, NCVride said:

That think looks like a beast!!!  Let me know how it works as well as the handle tabs.   I've been using google drive for posting pics since photo bucket went down.  Still have to click a link to see them but hell it works. 

One more time...... Right click on the picture itself, then click on Copy Image Location. Then paste that in the forums Insert other media from URL button on the bottom right.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, NCVride said:

I didn't get to try it this weekend, other than to test fit it. I had to trim the bottom corner to clear the step in the side of the hull. Took off about an inch or so at a 45deg angle on each bottom corner. I was able to mount it while in the water after that. Ran out of time that evening to try it out, and we had rain all of yesterday. I have an order in to wakemakers for a pair of 850 rears and a 675 bow so I'm hopeing for a very surfable combo by the end of the summer.

A little bit of testing this past weekend. First try, I placed it as far back as I could. The leading edge was in line with the forward edge of the "M" in the rear Malibu decal. I placed it as far down as possible while still getting both suction cups to lock. Under way with full MLS the top of the wedge was out of the water. The wave was flat with a lot of wash, no push.

Try 2 we moved it forward and down slightly. The leading edge of the wedge was in line with the front of the "U" in the Malibu decal. I managed to get it a little lower on the hull here, but ended up with only the rear suction cup attaching - I didn't realize this at install. It held for the afternoon- didn't realize it until I took it off. This time the wave had a much better shape and push. I would say it was slightly better than listed/no wedge but not a huge difference. I will say that listed we had a larger crew on board - probably an additional 4-500 lbs of people piled into rear corner. With wedge weight was evenly distributed.

And that was a short lived experiment. Version three came detached yesterday. Popped the rope attached to the buoy (someone had moved it off the sunpad) and sank. I think i'm going with a pre-built version next time (that floats)

• 9 months later...

Bringing back an old thread. I just made my first suck gate this weekend. Is it important that there is no water between the hull and the suction cups when you put it on? So if were floating on the lake, do we have to list the boat while putting it on?

Edited by jaciche
3 minutes ago, jaciche said:

Bringing back an old thread. I just made my first suck gate this weekend. When you put it on the hull, is it important that there is no water between the hull and the suction cups when you put it on? So if were floating on the lake, do we have to list the boat while putting it on?

You can put it wherever, I always put mine on in the water without a list. Doesn't matter if it's weighted or not.

4 hours ago, jaciche said:

Bringing back an old thread. I just made my first suck gate this weekend. Is it important that there is no water between the hull and the suction cups when you put it on? So if were floating on the lake, do we have to list the boat while putting it on?

Always put mine on in the water. I had read earlier where some people where having issues with the plastic handles on the cups breaking. I had one break on my 100% plastic set up, my aluminum version is going on 2 years. The reason given was that water is not as compressible as air, so the extra resistance in the water was creating more pressure than air would and the plastic handles were snapping. Opinions vary and “ made in China” doesn’t exactly produce a consistent product so I would say it was a toss up on longevity. I would like to see the list you would have to have to put it on dry. 

Edited by wdr

The aluminum handle ones are way better, and have a lot more holding power.  I also put mine on in the water.  You just have press it hard against the side of the boat, and slide it up and down a little bit to purge the water and air before you lock it.  

I got a hose clamp and clamped a buoy to ours. If for some reason it comes off the boat, I just scoop it right back up. I’ve made mine about 2 years ago. No issues with the harbor freight handle. Works like a gem.