Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

aftermarket surfgate

duckhunter1

29 minutes ago, Chatty21VLX said:

I ordered my aluminum handles from amazon the other day, and the list of other items frequently bought with the handle made me chuckle: cutting boards, sheet hdpe, and the HoD. 

To everyone who is making a suckgate, at what price point would you have ordered the Delta instead of building your own?

I saw the same thing and giggled. It's amazing how much influence the crew has!:werule:

On 6/17/2016 at 10:13 AM, jb 156 said:

Got my mission yesterday and all I can say is wow.  Came with gate, leash, allen wrench, carrying bag, koozie and some instructions.  I was a little skeptical on how hard it would be to dial the boat in but it was pretty darn simple.  Filled my factory ballast and my two 750's full.  It was just me and a friend in the boat we started to fill the bow bag but eventually ended up draining it.  We found the wedge 3 clicks up was a good spot to get some height out of the wave, also the wave was way longer than listing the boat.  I could get push all the way out on my surf rope and I was recovering way further back than I was able to before. Also pretty much anywhere below the waterline and as far back as you could get the thing to stick would work for the "sweet spot".  Another observation I have a friend who has a wicked wakesurf device and it makes the boat very hard to turn, with this thing on you get no ill effects on steering.  Had a blast surfing and was very nice since he rides regular and I ride goofy so I only got a couple of pics of him riding.  He has a surfgate Axis and he even commented you cannot tell the thing is out there, not like when surfgate deploys.  I will get some pics and videos up hopefully tomorrow afternoon.  I ordered on 5/4 for anyone who has ordered and wants to know.  

Did you position the delta in normal or reversed position. The reverse position is more aggressive and they say that is for people with little ballast but I wonder if it will make better wave for people with ballast 

On 6/24/2016 at 1:00 PM, Chatty21VLX said:

I ordered my aluminum handles from amazon the other day, and the list of other items frequently bought with the handle made me chuckle: cutting boards, sheet hdpe, and the HoD. 

To everyone who is making a suckgate, at what price point would you have ordered the Delta instead of building your own?

200-300 bucks. i usually budget about 500-600 total per month in my "being a guy" fund. For things like guns, expensive scotch, and i'm a bit of a clothes-hound. If I spent 500 on the mission, that would mean a whole month's guy money down the drain. Like so many other things related to wake boats these days the mission priced themselves with the motto "they paid 100k for the boat".

Well I didn't pay 100k for the boat.

My parents bought a 95 echelon for 24k new. That adjusts to 37,900 in 2016 dollars. I know they now have Perfect Pass in a response, but seriously the costs are getting out of control.

http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=24000&year=1995

I worked supply chain for 10 years and work in manufacturing now. There is no way that thing is costing them any more than 75 bucks shipped to their door. If it were made in the USA with a lifetime warranty then maybe the $500. I also don't see replacement parts on their website. Not a good sign for me.

Edited by 95echelon
  • Like 2
Just now, saxton15 said:

They did price themselves under the Ronix one.  The Delta tab looks great, and it stores easily. 

All true, though my design floats and fits under all of my seats. Got a cleaner pic of the wave though. 1000 up front, MLS full plus 1800 in the back. 3700lbs total plus wedge, 2 people in the boat. If i start adding more weight the swim platform comes into play and washes a bit. Also, does anyone with a 7x9 setup think maybe they should try a bigger paddle? Sometimes I want just a tinge more curl. I can now ride fully at the end of the rope though and come back.

2016-06-26%2014.25.25.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 95echelon said:

200-300 bucks. i usually budget about 500-600 total per month in my "being a guy" fund. For things like guns, expensive scotch, and i'm a bit of a clothes-hound. If I spent 500 on the mission, that would mean a whole month's guy money down the drain. Like so many other things related to wake boats these days the mission priced themselves with the motto "they paid 100k for the boat".

My parents bought a 95 echelon for 24k new. That adjusts to 37,900 in 2016 dollars. I know they now have Perfect Pass in a response, but seriously the costs are getting out of control.

I worked supply chain for 10 years and work in manufacturing now. There is no way that thing is costing them any more than 75 bucks shipped to their door. If it were made in the USA with a lifetime warranty then maybe the $500. I also don't see replacement parts on their website. Not a good sign for me.

I'm with you here. I would have paid $300, MAYBE $350. Their margin on thebay Delta has to be hefty, unless i'm missing something. 

2 hours ago, 95echelon said:

Tooling for injected molded parts can easily run into the hundreds of thousands of $. That being said, $498 is pricey. I bought one and it works great.

• Like 2
On 6/18/2016 at 8:24 PM, 95echelon said:

Both the harbor freight and the aluminum handle work on the upper and lower of the 05-08 hull. We have been surfing 2 hours and the harbor freight hasn't budged. 

I wasn't able to get the Harbor Freight one to connect at all on the lower portion of the hull. I was able to get the HoD to stick, but it came off after about 30 seconds at 11mph. I have used the Harbor Freight one on the upper portion angled downward some, and it has worked great. It even lists the boat to the surf side! This is MUCH easier than Wicked.

19 hours ago, mikeyg said:

Tooling for injected molded parts can easily run into the hundreds of thousands of $. That being said, $498 is pricey. I bought one and it works great.

It's definitely cheaper than upgrading to a full on SG system. 

1 hour ago, Tao of Wake said:

I wasn't able to get the Harbor Freight one to connect at all on the lower portion of the hull. I was able to get the HoD to stick, but it came off after about 30 seconds at 11mph. I have used the Harbor Freight one on the upper portion angled downward some, and it has worked great. It even lists the boat to the surf side! This is MUCH easier than Wicked.

There is a technique to it. You have to sometimes pinch the cups against the hull with your fingers from the top and bottom.

If I ever have a weekend where my kids don't use all the battery in my GoPro I will make a video. The first time is the worst and there is less curvature the further you move forward.

Tooling for injected molded parts can easily run into the hundreds of thousands of $. 

Any chance they're just 3D printing them?

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, toddrparr said:

anyone have a first hand comparison between the Mission and a Wicked Wave setup?

When I used the HOD handle that didn't work well I made a DIY wicked wave for a day. I still have it actually. It was not quite as nice as the suction cup gate, and much harder to attach (needed straps etc). To be fair I didn't have a lot of time to dial it in. The boat handled noticeably better with the suction gate.

Edit: I was in such a hurry for both my DIY suck gate and my wicked wake that I made both in about 15 minutes each. I literally made the wicked wake while waiting for my ballast to fill with parts I found in the basement of our 100 year old cottage. I can't figure why people pay so much for these things. Even at $100 per hour I am only out 25 bucks of time and 50-100 of money and I now have 3 or 4 homemade wake shapers.

Edited by 95echelon

Well, after testing her a few times, I feel we have found a solution that works well for us.  We have a 2006 23 LSV.  We are not experts by any means, we usually wakeboard/ski first, then surf a little later in the day typically as it gets more crowded and windy, but we do enjoy surfing.

• Below are gate pictures that I had posted before, now I added some wake shots as we got it to work.  Our test model is ~ 8” x 10” and ~75 degree angle.  Our first trial revealed that the HOD model did not hold for us.  We have since bought the aluminum handle on Amazon and that is amazingly different.  Better quality, holds like a champ.  We just swapped in the aluminum handle in the same spot as the HOD shown below and headed to the lake to try 2.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VL3CB0/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1467660390&sr=1&keywords=suction+cups
  • We attach it just below the ridge in the hull.  Following advice on this site, I use a little rubbing alcohol to make it clean before we go, on the water I usually stick it once, then I usually re-do it as someone above said that gets it tighter.  When levers are hard to close, you know it's locked on.
  • We are running all stock ballast and a 750 in each rear locker.  We have had about 5-6 people in the boat.  I know you are supposed to be able to evenly weight the boat with the gate, but we still find it better to sit the people on the surf side.  We also have 1 person in the bow, might increase.

Overall, very happy.  I think the wake is every bit as good as when we had it listed (old set up was a 750 in the surf locker, 750 surfside floor, and 750 on surfside seat).  The downside is we still have to fill/drain 2 750’s in the lockers manually which is a pain, but I can’t afford a new boat right now so I am ok living with that.  My goals were to 1) get the bags out of the boat floor/seat which my wife hated, and 2) Be able to change sides easily as my boys both ride on different sides and that was a huge process to change all that weight, and 3) be something that is small and easy to store.  So far, this little ~$25 investment has accomplished those goals.  Now that we have tested the wood version shown here, we are going to build our final model out of the black HDPE plastic on Amazon, and I think that will look nice and keep my investment at ~$50.  It may not be perfect, but our family is pretty happy.  Thanks for all the help on this site, I reached out to several of you.  If I can help anyone at all, just let me know.  If any other suggestions, please share, thanks.

Suction2_zpsjeudutbs.jpgSuction1_zpsddqlstit.jpgDSC00172_zpskkknxk3w.jpgWake%200716.Movie_Snapshot_zpsj8hftkyz.j

The only thing that I found is to angle the gate downward when it is attached. This directs the water downward to not have as much spray; this orientation also disrupts the water going under the gate and slightly lists the boat toward the surf side. I attach mine just below the rub rail just behind the Malibu lettering. I put the rear suction cup behind the lettering and the forward cup just below it. It seems pretty drastic when installed, but you also have to remember that the boat is angled upward when underway (bow high, stern low). I will try to get a pic soon. I have found that with this placement, I can evenly weight the boat since the gate is doing some of the listing.

"The only thing that I found is to angle the gate downward when it is attached." I have found the same thing and I end up with the cups about 1" from the bottom of the hull. I was surprised to find how much of a curve there was on that part of the hull. This is what I ended up with in the 7" x 9" version in a 3/4" HDPE. It is working better than the gate I made and so much less of a PITA in all respects.

SG5.JPG

SG3.JPG

SG4.JPG

Edited by wdr

Crazy how this thing has taken off.  Have a buddy who has an older Mastercraft Vdrive who frequents the team talk forums and it's being discussed and built by the guys over there as well.  I'd have to guess it's probably the biggest "game-changer" since surf gate came out.  Also looked on eBay just to see and there are guys selling them there as well.  I love that I could make it myself and didn't have to order it.  

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Wakesurf+gate&isNewKw=1&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&_trksid=p2053742.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xwakesurf+gate&sqp=wakesurf+gate

We just finished suck-gate serial number 000001.  Pics attached.  Heading to Cumberland this weekend and will report back on how it performs, and what setting is optimal.  It's a 7x9 paddle, amazon aluminum handle, and cutting boards from wal-mart.  Total cost about $35.00.

suckgate1.jpg.9abc136d9cf39b167f16ef8c53

suckgate2.jpg.97be96dc1fe52c53bac4585073

• Like 2