Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

aftermarket surfgate

duckhunter1

11 hours ago, racer808 said:

Does anyone know if putting the gate on the side of the hull is better vs the gate on the edge of the boat like Surf Gate?  What are differences if any?  

Both will accomplish the same thing "delayed convergence". I am guessing that the side mounted style gate would probably produce more of the effect with it being farther away from the boat. IMO, the advantage of the DIY Surf Gate style gate would be a matter of drivability (less resistance = easier to drive at slower speeds) convenience of installation (at least for me it is the wws style) and potential exposure to debris. The only thing I would ultimately like to find out is, what style and size of device would produce the best results for a given hull? The bottom line is can you afford the style you want if can't build it, can you build it yourself and ultimately does it works for you?

• Like 2

Been trying to get ahead for next weeks since it's going to be an extra short week for me. But I digress. 

I did get to try mine out last weekend. Rear ballast 800ish both sides,500 center and 250 bow. Gate as far back and below the jog on starboard side.  It is possible to get it to attach there just have to play with it a bit.  Wedge down. 

With this set up I had to get up to 14mph to clean up the face of the wave. Sent some voice activated ballast to the bow and that helped some. Need to borrow a ballast bag from a buddy to try out up front. The wave did not look as good with the gate so low in the water, but it did not have the spray as before. Wish my brother could have been there to try the wave out. The board we have fits him better.  I was able to go rope less and it'd is have decent push and a better pocket. Need to work on my own technique and play with the fins on the board before I try a new one. 

I do notice that the swim platform is cutting into the wave more now, so I may try and add a lift to it.  Also want to add more angle to the gate (closer to 90*)

Tried a second time without the wedge and it was much worse. 

37 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

I did get to try mine out last weekend. Rear ballast 800ish both sides,500 center and 250 bow. Gate as far back and below the jog on starboard side.  It is possible to get it to attach there just have to play with it a bit.  Wedge down.

Try less weight in the back.  I had the same issue with having to go fast to smooth and lengthen the wave.  Cutting back to about 500 in each rear locker helped a lot.  With the gates you do not depend on weight as much as with listing.

• Like 1

I am getting really interested in this... some great prototypes here.  Is this worth the effort on a direct drive boat?  I am looking into surfing behind my tantrum but I don't have a ton of room for ballast sacs.  Will the surf gate alone be effective enough to get me surfing?

Edited by solorex

I have a friend who showed up at a SkySki event with a 21 Moomba Outback DD..... but he was a wake surfer. I didn't think it would be possible to surf with that boat, but he proved it wrong. He only used maybe 800 lbs of ballast bags, one of which was a "cube" that weighed about 350 or 400 lbs. He would move that cube to either side depending on which side the surfer wanted it on. That boat really responded to a little weight shift like that. The wave wasn't huge, but it was plenty big enough & had a lot of push. He was easily surfing without the rope & doing 3s.

So it may be possible behind a Tantrum too. But be careful, will be easy to swamp it too.    :Doh:

5 hours ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Been trying to get ahead for next weeks since it's going to be an extra short week for me. But I digress. 

With this set up I had to get up to 14mph to clean up the face of the wave. Sent some voice activated ballast to the bow and that helped some. Need to borrow a ballast bag from a buddy to try out up front. The wave did not look as good with the gate so low in the water, but it did not have the spray as before. Wish my brother could have been there to try the wave out. The board we have fits him better.  I was able to go rope less and it'd is have decent push and a better pocket. Need to work on my own technique and play with the fins on the board before I try a new one. 

I do notice that the swim platform is cutting into the wave more now, so I may try and add a lift to it.  Also want to add more angle to the gate (closer to 90*)

Tried a second time without the wedge and it was much worse. 

I used basically the same prototype as you made jeepz.  Put some ballast hose around the end that is up against the boat.  I have an '06 VRide.  Went out a few minutes ago to test.  Didn't surf the wake just played with the gate.  I placed it as far down and back on the hull as I could get it.  2 750's in the rear and 500 midship all full no wedge.  10.6.  1235 prop.  

Perfect surf wave on the goofy side.  Tried with wedge down and same perfection.  Little steeper wave.  As for the regular side I had to creep the boat up to 11.2 and move myself into the passenger seat to get it clean.  Regular side has always been a bit more washy due to prop rotation.   I'm going to put one of my extra 550 bags up in the bow to extend the pocket a bit  

As for the spray, I had some but I wouldn't say anything excessive.   

As for my angle on the gate its around 76*.  

Hopefully I can post up some pics next week once I'm back on a real computer and not a phone. 

Overall I am very pleased with the wave.  Hope it surfs as good as it looks. 

Edited by NCVride
  • Like 3
On May 16, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Michigan boarder said:

I thought you already put your order in?

I've been watching these closely, looks very legit.  My little Echelon could benefit immensely from this or the velcro one, but I'm not sure how it will work with my chine, there's a step down spot in the hull.  So I might be best with a teakdeck mounted one.  I dunno.

I've been thinking about the chine ordeal. I'm thinking you could get your suction cups on the flat part above the chine and offset the flap and cut it so it goes in the chine and sits kind of flush. Although I'm not sure if the offset will create an issue with the suction cups holding

On May 27, 2016 at 3:23 PM, NCVride said:

I used basically the same prototype as you made jeepz.  Put some ballast hose around the end that is up against the boat.  I have an '06 VRide.  Went out a few minutes ago to test.  Didn't surf the wake just played with the gate.  I placed it as far down and back on the hull as I could get it.  2 750's in the rear and 500 midship all full no wedge.  10.6.  1235 prop.  

Perfect surf wave on the goofy side.  Tried with wedge down and same perfection.  Little steeper wave.  As for the regular side I had to creep the boat up to 11.2 and move myself into the passenger seat to get it clean.  Regular side has always been a bit more washy due to prop rotation.   I'm going to put one of my extra 550 bags up in the bow to extend the pocket a bit  

As for the spray, I had some but I wouldn't say anything excessive.   

As for my angle on the gate its around 76*.  

Hopefully I can post up some pics next week once I'm back on a real computer and not a phone. 

Overall I am very pleased with the wave.  Hope it surfs as good as it looks. 

Just a quick update.... Was able to get out today and surf.  Had a lot of people but 6 of the 10 people were kids under 7.   Wave was incredible compared to what I've had in the past.  Long pocket clean wake, unlisted boat.  Goofy side was better obviously(good for me).  This is the way to go guys.  Take the time and make one.   Plan on rebuilding my wood version out of HPDE this week. 

19 minutes ago, NCVride said:

Just a quick update.... Was able to get out today and surf.  Had a lot of people but 6 of the 10 people were kids under 7.   Wave was incredible compared to what I've had in the past.  Long pocket clean wake, unlisted boat.  Goofy side was better obviously(good for me).  This is the way to go guys.  Take the time and make one.   Plan on rebuilding my wood version out of HPDE this week. 

Pics or vids would be awesome!

On 5/26/2016 at 9:01 PM, chris4x4gill2 said:

I copied your design this evening. I through bolted using 1/4 x 4.5" carriage bolts. Didn't have a chance to bevel the edges, will probably just round them off with a sanding block. Made the blade roughly 7x9 with it tapering in about 1/2 inch towards the top.

Angle on the miter cut was 22.5 deg.

20160525_202318_zpstrbs8bkx.jpg

20160525_202325_zpsknbqzab7.jpg

I never could get this one using the Harbor Freight suction cups to stick to the boat. I tried several spots with no luck. Testing tin the garage it stuck well to a metal filing cabinet, but again that's a very flatough surface.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but have you priced the HDPE/starboard? I was looking to go that way until I saw the cost. I would look for a plastics place that is local and see if they would be willing to sell remnants. I checked a couple places near me and they told me they didn't sell remnants. I finally decided to just seal mine with resin and paint to match the boat. It's not going to hang in the Gugenheim or the Louvre so I figured good enough for government work! 

Hey guys,

As promised here are some pics of device placement, goofy with no wedge down, goofy with wedge down, regular with wedge down.  Didn't get any before pics. Just picture both sides all washed out.  I had a few different people surf it this weekend and everyone was super pumped.  Just adding the device with the both 750's in the rear and 500 midship added a good 3-5' of pocket to what we had last year.  Didn't get around to adding my extra 550 up front in the bow.  Had about 150lbs of kid ballast up there while surfing.   I prefer the wedge up placement when using the device.  Wake seems more clean and less steep.  10.6-10.8 goofy speed.  Had to bump on up to 11-11.2 on regular side to get it clean.

Sorry no pics of device unattached. I can take some next week.  Headed to the salt and sand for a few days next weekend with the fam(no the Malibu is not going).  Thought I had some but apparently not.  Same design as blackjeepz.  7x9 board with beveled edges.  Put some old clear hose on the boat side of the plate to try to cut down on spray.  Had some spray but nothing that can't be dealt with.(nothing more t Han what you would have dragging your hand lightly in the water  

Pics here:  

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_kKltlh7v2gaGY1Vm9ZaVRaV1E

9 hours ago, wdr said:

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but have you priced the HDPE/starboard? I was looking to go that way until I saw the cost. I would look for a plastics place that is local and see if they would be willing to sell remnants. I checked a couple places near me and they told me they didn't sell remnants. I finally decided to just seal mine with resin and paint to match the boat. It's not going to hang in the Gugenheim or the Louvre so I figured good enough for government work! 

I hear ya on the HPDE.  Luckily I have some extra lying around that was gifted to me by my dad after he did some repair work on his upholstery last year.  He knew I was planning on making a wicked wake or something similar so, LUCKY ME!

Edited by NCVride
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, NCVride said:

Hey guys,

As promised here are some pics of device placement, goofy with no wedge down, goofy with wedge down, regular with wedge down.  Didn't get any before pics. Just picture both sides all washed out.  I had a few different people surf it this weekend and everyone was super pumped.  Just adding the device with the both 750's in the rear and 500 midship added a good 3-5' of pocket to what we had last year.  Didn't get around to adding my extra 550 up front in the bow.  Had about 150lbs of kid ballast up there while surfing.   I prefer the wedge up placement when using the device.  Wake seems more clean and less steep.  10.6-10.8 goofy speed.  Had to bump on up to 11-11.2 on regular side to get it clean.

Sorry no pics of device unattached. I can take some next week.  Headed to the salt and sand for a few days next weekend with the fam(no the Malibu is not going).  Thought I had some but apparently not.  Same design as blackjeepz.  7x9 board with beveled edges.  Put some old clear hose on the boat side of the plate to try to cut down on spray.  Had some spray but nothing that can't be dealt with.(nothing more t Han what you would have dragging your hand lightly in the water  

Pics here:  

Looks good!

26 minutes ago, Bu hoo said:

Looks good!

Don't mind the blue rope.  Just wanted to have it secured to the boat in case it came off which it didn't.  We surfed a ton and it never let loose even once.  You can see the spray in one of the pics.  I didn't think it was too bad.  And as for its effect on the steering, virtually none. 

On 5/27/2016 at 9:39 AM, minnmarker said:

Try less weight in the back.  I had the same issue with having to go fast to smooth and lengthen the wave.  Cutting back to about 500 in each rear locker helped a lot.  With the gates you do not depend on weight as much as with listing.

I'll give that a try next time out.  

Once again you guys are amazing. @Michigan boarder I think this will work on your boat as well.  I picked up a dual suction cup thing from harbor freight. Mounted 2 2x4s to it cut at a 30 degree angle on the mitre saw and attached a 7x9 piece of marine plywood to it. Used a piece of 1 inch ballast hose on the boat end. I have a 99 vlx so it has the chine at the bottom. I put the gate right above it and as far back as I could get the suction cups to stick. 750s full in rear ski locker full. And a 750 in bow walk way half full. 4 people spread threw out and wave was massive. First time I have surfed was last week with a listed boat. So this was my second time out. Went ropeless right away. I am 6'0 tall and wave was up to my waist at times. I got some video waiting on a Freind to send it to me and I will post

• Like 1
On 5/31/2016 at 7:59 AM, NCVride said:

Hey guys,

Pics here:  

Do you have a picture of goofy with wedge down?

I hear ya on the HPDE.  Luckily I have some extra lying around that was gifted to me by my dad after he did some repair work on his upholstery last year.  He knew I was planning on making a wicked wake or something similar so, LUCKY ME!

Edited by itznowonder
On 5/31/2016 at 1:03 PM, NCVride said:

Don't mind the blue rope.  Just wanted to have it secured to the boat in case it came off which it didn't.  We surfed a ton and it never let loose even once.  You can see the spray in one of the pics.  I didn't think it was too bad.  And as for its effect on the steering, virtually none. 

Super stoked ! Thanks for the pics...I have the same boat and rarely surf because it is such a pain in the keister to fill up all the bags...plus drain them when the inevitable thunderstorm sent by Thor arrives just as we have them all filled  :help:    I am definitely gonna make one of these as my next project!  Make sure to post up some pics of the finished gate.

Tim

Just now, DUKENO1 said:

Super stoked ! Thanks for the pics...I have the same boat and rarely surf because it is such a pain in the keister to fill up all the bags...plus drain them when the inevitable thunderstorm sent by Thor arrives just as we have them all filled  :help:    I am definitely gonna make one of these as my next project!  Make sure to post up some pics of the finished gate.

Tim

Will do.  The finished gate will probably be a few weeks out.  Probably just use the good ole woody gate until I get a chance to do it RIGHT.  

27 minutes ago, itznowonder said:

Itznowonder, click that Google drive link, I just checked the file and it's titled wedge goofy.   It's not a great pic but I can get a better one next week.  

13 hours ago, NCVride said:

Will do.  The finished gate will probably be a few weeks out.  Probably just use the good ole woody gate until I get a chance to do it RIGHT.  

Itznowonder, click that Google drive link, I just checked the file and it's titled wedge goofy.   It's not a great pic but I can get a better one next week.  

Thanks, looking at it on my phone did not show that one, on my desk top I can see it.....no, i don't need glasses........

7 hours ago, itznowonder said:

Thanks, looking at it on my phone did not show that one, on my desk top I can see it.....no, i don't need glasses........

If you weren't a fellow NC peep I would make fun of you!

• Like 1

Hey guys, here is my first attempt at the suction gate. I used leftover Plexiglas I had laying around the farm then used methylene chloride to bond the plexi together. I wasn't sure if it would also bond to the plastic of the suction handle but it seems to have done the trick.  No water test yet as I just finished it but happy with how it turned out. 

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

• Like 2